FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

I think you're missing the larger issue here: Criticism of art--any type of art--is subjective in nature. As such, there can be no objectivity in criticism or analysis of it. It is subjective to its core--you cannot make it unsubjective. Thus, any framework that is created to break down a literary work for "analysis" is subjective and based on the reviewer's (and/or the framework creator's) own subjective biases.

There are large numbers of people out there who find the "classics" tedious, overwrought, and outright boring. All the analysis that goes into those works is interesting but ultimately irrelevant. It's curious that people who read the works now are determining what the author "really" meant when he wrote this or that, absent any notes or proof from the author backing that up. It's just silly, self-important hogwash for a group of self-appointed "experts" who feel their opinions are more important than others' based on their own self-developed criteria. Again, a giant, self-licking ice-cream cone. And then these self-appointed experts feel empowered (again, by themselves) to tell the rest of us what is "good" and what is "bad" in literary terms because they have deemed it so.

Art is personal. If someone feels it is "good", let them.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
my criticism of dan brown has nothing to do with any formal criticism.

the 'art is subjective' statement is true, but to a point. it can be used to the absurd extreme.

if a 4 year old scribbled on a piece of paper with crayons, would you say it made a 'good' picture?

when dan brown writes a 'book' using the most similarly-rudimentary of techniques, i feel at liberty to say it is not a 'good' book. it has nothing to do with the higher, intellectual and self-licking cones of 'proper' art criticism.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
FEOS
+1,182|6413|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

the 'art is subjective' statement is true, but to a point. it can be used to the absurd extreme.

if a 4 year old scribbled on a piece of paper with crayons, would you say it made a 'good' picture?

when dan brown writes a 'book' using the most similarly-rudimentary of techniques, i feel at liberty to say it is not a 'good' book. it has nothing to do with the higher, intellectual and self-licking cones of 'proper' art criticism.
Is that 4-year-old a savant?

Dan Brown's style is hardly comparable to a four-year-old's scribble on a paper, regardless of how snobbish you want to get. Obviously, tens of millions of people in the world disagree with you. Thus my point.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6734|St. Andrews / Oslo

FEOS wrote:

Obviously, tens of millions of people in the world disagree with you. Thus my point.
where do you get this number from?

edit- my point is that just because people enjoy reading Dan Brown, does not mean that they disagree with Uzique.

Last edited by Jenspm (2009-11-03 10:39:15)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

FEOS wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Dan Brown's style is hardly comparable to a four-year-old's scribble on a paper, regardless of how snobbish you want to get. Obviously, tens of millions of people in the world disagree with you. Thus my point.
the scribble is to a painting what a monosyllabic, single-clause sentence is to writing. rudimentary building blocks.

i think i'd be fine with dan brown's writing style if it wasn't for the pseudo-intellectual, conspiratorial bullshit that he writes about. it seems mad for people to consider that 'entertaining' or in any way 'sophisticated' when it's such twoddle.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
FEOS
+1,182|6413|'Murka

Why would people enjoy reading something they think is literary drivel? Even more, why would they pay money to do so?
― Albert Einstein

FEOS
+1,182|6413|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Uzique wrote:

the scribble is to a painting what a monosyllabic, single-clause sentence is to writing. rudimentary building blocks.

i think i'd be fine with dan brown's writing style if it wasn't for the pseudo-intellectual, conspiratorial bullshit that he writes about. it seems mad for people to consider that 'entertaining' or in any way 'sophisticated' when it's such twoddle.
Sophisticated is a subjective term. As is entertaining.

What you consider entertaining and/or sophisticated could be completely un-entertaining and unsophisticated to someone else. What makes your opinion of what is sophisticated any more valid than theirs?
― Albert Einstein

Jenspm
penis

FEOS wrote:

Why would people enjoy reading something they think is literary drivel? Even more, why would they pay money to do so?
I can only speak for myself, but I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code, and Deception Point or whatever it was called. However, I agree with everything Uzique has said about his writing style/litterary skills.

He is not a good writer. Period. But I enjoy the stories he tells, and look beyond the fact that they are "pseudo-intellectual, wiki-researched conspiratorial crap that follows the same a->b->(c with a twist)->d structure."

Yes, it's extremely predictable, but I like that when I'm tired and just want to read and chill.

Last edited by Jenspm (2009-11-03 10:52:48)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
FEOS
+1,182|6413|'Murka

Jenspm wrote:

I enjoy the stories he tells

Jenspm wrote:

He is not a good writer
Those two statements do not synch.
― Albert Einstein

ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Jenspm wrote:

PS- "the famous man looked at the red cup" is not a Dan Brown quote, but a Stewart Lee quote, fyi.
Yes I know that.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

FEOS wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

I enjoy the stories he tells

Jenspm wrote:

He is not a good writer
Those two statements do not synch.
Of course they do, I enjoy Miley Cyrus' music*, but that doesn't mean she's a good singer.

*May not be true.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
yes, they do. they really do.

people have always enjoyed low-brow, cheap, smutty entertainment. it requires little thought. TV is the zenith of this form of popular entertainment.

i prefer for my books to stay within the realms of the moderately sophisticated, interesting and enriching.

there is definitely nothing incongruous about 'enjoying' the stimulation provided by worthless literature.

here's a massive case-in-point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mills_&_Boon
Jenspm
penis

Uzique wrote:

yes, they do. they really do.

people have always enjoyed low-brow, cheap, smutty entertainment. it requires little thought. TV is the zenith of this form of popular entertainment.

i prefer for my books to stay within the realms of the moderately sophisticated, interesting and enriching.

there is definitely nothing incongruous about 'enjoying' the stimulation provided by worthless literature.

here's a massive case-in-point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mills_&_Boon
yeah, I kinda mix between Dan Brown-esque books and the more sophisticated ones, depending on my mood.

I enjoy the latter, but sometimes (read: way too often ) I just cba and go over to something a little more simple (ie- Dan Brown, John Grisham)
FEOS
+1,182|6413|'Murka

Again, who are you to say what is sophisticated, interesting, and enriching?

It's all subjective when it comes to art. That's the whole point. Thus, art reviewers are the pinnacle of elitism, pushing their own subjective view of what is good or bad on everyone else.

If you enjoy a writer's stories, then that writer is a good writer for YOU. They have written in a way that relays the story to YOU such that YOU enjoy it--for whatever reason. That makes them a good writer, regardless of what some effete snob in their ivory tower at Oxford thinks of their use of the Queen's English.
― Albert Einstein

Jenspm
penis

FEOS wrote:

If you enjoy a writer's stories, then that writer is a good writer for YOU.
No, he's a good story teller.
FEOS
+1,182|6413|'Murka

Jenspm wrote:

FEOS wrote:

If you enjoy a writer's stories, then that writer is a good writer for YOU.
No, he's a good story teller.
If you're reading the story, he had to write it down, didn't he?

Hence, good writer.
― Albert Einstein

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
FEOS i think you're conflating the book as a popular entertainment and the book as a (literary) artform. there's a big dichotomy between the two in modern, 20th century-> culture. the rise of mass publication and cheap, affordable prices has given rise to the commodity of easy-reading novels and mindless fiction, but the domain of 'literature as art' or 'literature as culture' is still very much prevalent. that's the 'art' that academics and old-dons at Oxford like to talk and get excited about. enjoying the books of dan brown is basically the same as enjoying prime-time television; the only difference is that the bitesize, thoughtless and simple entertainment is communicated to you via a different medium. that's the realm of 'books' that i'll never care to explore: airport fiction, toilet literature, reader's digest tosh.
Jenspm
penis

Here's how I see it:

Good Story Teller: Has a fun and entertaining story (subjective)
Good Writer: Uses the language well, knows his genre, etc. (objective)

It's like when you write an essay at school. It's the latter that is graded, because that's the part that is objective.

edit- nvm what I said, read Uzique's post.

Last edited by Jenspm (2009-11-03 11:14:20)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

Jenspm wrote:

Here's how I see it:

It's like when you write an essay at school. It's the latter that is graded, because that's the part that is objective.
this is essentially the same distinction i am drawing, in identifying two different 'types' of modern literature:

-the book as commodity; popular fiction; mainstream entertainment; mindless yet 'fun'.
-the book as art; intellectual, meaningful, cultured; niche entertainment; engaging, possibly even challenging, yet rewarding.

no 'effete snobbery' is inferred in making that distinction, not any more snobbery than there is in seeing a difference, and accordingly treating differently, the forms of the hollywood blockbuster and the art-house movie. and if you still fail to see the difference, and the importance of treating and viewing these forms differently, on the uncompromising stance that 'it's all art, it's all subjective, therefore it's all the same: good or bad' then you're being nothing short of naive.

Last edited by Uzique (2009-11-03 11:16:59)

FEOS
+1,182|6413|'Murka

Both of those posts exemplify the effete snobbery as regards subjective review of art that absolutely chaps my ass.

Just the tone of language used to describe things deemed less than worthy in Uzique's post speaks volumes about the attitude I'm talking about, whether it be the visual media (indie vs TV vs mass-produced movies) or books ("literature" vs mass-market vs comic books) or paintings. It doesn't matter. It's all subjective. To the individual who is experiencing the art at that moment. The elevation of certain genres over others is an exercise in self-importance.
― Albert Einstein

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
from twitter- shitmydadsays:

"Everybody loves that Da Vinci code book. Bullshit, it sucks. I read it. It's for all the dummies."
FEOS
+1,182|6413|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

Here's how I see it:

this is essentially the same distinction i am drawing, in identifying two different 'types' of modern literature:

-the book as commodity; popular fiction; mainstream entertainment; mindless yet 'fun'.
-the book as art; intellectual, meaningful, cultured; niche entertainment; engaging, possibly even challenging, yet rewarding.

no 'effete snobbery' is inferred in making that distinction, not any more snobbery than there is in seeing a difference, and accordingly treating differently, the forms of the hollywood blockbuster and the art-house movie. and if you still fail to see the difference, and the importance of treating and viewing these forms differently, on the uncompromising stance that 'it's all art, it's all subjective, therefore it's all the same: good or bad' then you're being nothing short of naive.
Bullshit. You're not judging Dan Brown on his fucking sentence structure and conjugation. You're judging him on his originality and turn of phrase. If he wrote the books in leet speak, then you'd have objective criteria upon which to excoriate him. But he doesn't. His writing follows the rules of the English language. You just don't like his writing style. That is subjectivity. Pure and simple. There is nothing objective about it. And if you can't see that, you're being nothing short of naive...if not a bit snobbish.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
There's a lot of snobbery in writing.
Hardy and Dickens are 'well-written', apparently, but dreary as hell.
Wilbur Smith is gripping but low-brow english, and his books all have basically the same plot.
I couldn't give a toss, I'll read what I enjoy reading.

What irks me is technical stuff which is badly written, tiring to read and ambiguous.
'Pistolsmithing' By George C Nonte is an interesting read for example.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
r a y m o n d  c a r v e r

for me tonight. just what the doctor ordered.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

There's a lot of snobbery in writing.
Hardy and Dickens are 'well-written', apparently, but dreary as hell.
Wilbur Smith is gripping but low-brow english, and his books all have basically the same plot.
I couldn't give a toss, I'll read what I enjoy reading.

What irks me is technical stuff which is badly written, tiring to read and ambiguous.
'Pistolsmithing' By George C Nonte is an interesting read for example.
I try to avoid literature written in the age when authors were paid by the word. I don't enjoy reading other peoples bullshit. Never write two words where one will suffice.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard