13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

Jay wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

the DT series is good.  tapers off towards the end but the journey is a shit ton of fun and Roland is a hell of a character to follow.  Have you read The Stand?  it's one book but it's 1400+ pages.
The Gunslinger and Wizard were the only two i remember really liking. The end of the series was really the only possible outcome, but it still made me mad :p
there are more stories from the series. The Wind Through the Keyhole is out in hardcover, and The Sisters of Eluria i think is in paperback.

i remember when everyone thought SK was going to 'retire' after the series was done. he still might, he can't seem to finish the series . . .
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6161|Roma
Just started reading Hunger Games, pretty good so far
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

I can't think of a fiction series that I like or would find interesting. I get this feeling that every series is just a money making exercise instead of something well written and genuine.

Just a thought
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
i loved the northern lights trilogy when i was little :3
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6161|Roma

PrivateVendetta wrote:

last chapter
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
stephen king is probably my favorite racist author
Tu Stultus Es
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Jay wrote:

Or the Shannara books by Terry Brooks, or the Belgarath books by David Eddings...
True.

Did you know Xanth is on book 34? I left off on like 20, where a hurricane was becoming self-aware.

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Heard on the radio that more people were taking up archery because of it. lol
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon

13urnzz wrote:

there are more stories from the series. The Wind Through the Keyhole is out in hardcover, and The Sisters of Eluria i think is in paperback.

i remember when everyone thought SK was going to 'retire' after the series was done. he still might, he can't seem to finish the series . . .
The Wind Through The Keyhole will be out in a month and a day and is supposed to sorta fit between books four and five.  The little Sisters of Eluria is in the short story collection Everything's Eventual.  And then there are all the other books related to a greater or lesser extent to the DT story.  Everything from Black House to It, Rose madder,  Salem's Lot, Insomnia, The Mist, The stand and hearts in Atlantis.

I don't think he'll ever be completely finished with that universe.  All things serve the beam.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6161|Roma
Sounds a bit like Discworld. He keeps finding side stories and fitting stories in between books.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6161|Roma

PrivateVendetta wrote:

PrivateVendetta wrote:

last chapter
Went and bought the motherfucking last book in the series and started reading it before i realised i'd missed a book.
derp.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam
I feel like reading Atlas shrugged next.
Now I roughly know what kind of book it is and what is about (about as much as wikipedia can tell me without spoilers), but can anyone that has read it here tell if its a decent read?
Because it's coming across as one of those books infamous for being good but hard to get through. A Dutch writer called these books 'the yellowed page markers'.
So how is the level of writing and how easy of a read is it?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
Easy, reads like any other novel and the overall message is repetetive. Rand is not subtle.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Kampframmer wrote:

I feel like reading Atlas shrugged next.
Now I roughly know what kind of book it is and what is about (about as much as wikipedia can tell me without spoilers), but can anyone that has read it here tell if its a decent read?
Because it's coming across as one of those books infamous for being good but hard to get through. A Dutch writer called these books 'the yellowed page markers'.
So how is the level of writing and how easy of a read is it?
It's not a good book. The message is the thing it's famous for. Good prose and story telling...no. Then there is the 50 page speech that no human can possibly deliver in one attempt. It's hard to get through in the sense of keeping interest not in the sense of understanding the story or difficult prose.

If you want to understand Rand's philosophy, she has other straight forward books that aren't rapped in a shit story.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

If you are ready to commit to a large piece of fiction, there are much better choices out there. Hit those first.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

There's nothing wrong with Atlas Shrugged. It's just tedious.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

I know how to spell wrapped GS. I am on a touch screen phone so things get lost.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

"garfield left speechless: comics without words"

Didn't take long to "read."
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

https://i.imgur.com/2DWla.jpg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam
I'm probably going to buy another Joyce and Hemingway.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

https://i.imgur.com/ZEgYd.jpg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Kmar wrote:

Hey look it's that guy from madness combat.
henhouck
+10|6335|Indiana, Pennsylvania
Not sure if it has been mentioned but a really great fantasy book is The Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. Its the first book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series and I believe its right up there with Game of Thrones. Bit confusing and hard to get into in the beginning but shit the ending is good.

Also The Name of the Wind is pretty damn good as well.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4812|Amsterdam
Fantasy.....
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Hey look it's that guy from madness combat.
Uzi lambasted me for only giving it 3 stars.. in retrospect he was prolly right to..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6358|New York
Working on The Zombie Survival Guide
and
Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain.

Both pretty good.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard