Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5553|Toronto

JohnG@lt wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

After reading Dilbert and Uzique's exchange, I'm actually curious as to what everybody thinks about the relation between visual art and literature. I actually would prefer to see fewer books with cover art, only because I find the cover-artist usually interprets only one major theme. I am also rarely impressed with the cover art one the book is read. Sure a picture summarizes a thousand words, but the book is more complex than one or two thousand-word themes. 

I also find the cover art influences my interpretation of the novel before I've even begun. C'est ne pas bon. Here we can lay down some literary theory, particularly the theory surrounding graphic novels, but I'm way to lazy to type it out.

Come at me, Dilbert.
So buy leather bound books.
I was actually asking your opinion, not for a solution to such a simple problem. Yeah, I would just take the dust-jacket off the hardcover if I was that worried about it.

What I want to discuss is the relationship between the visual arts and literature.

I forgot I had to be a tool in order to start conversations on this site. No wonder I didn't miss it much.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5368|London, England

Pochsy wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

After reading Dilbert and Uzique's exchange, I'm actually curious as to what everybody thinks about the relation between visual art and literature. I actually would prefer to see fewer books with cover art, only because I find the cover-artist usually interprets only one major theme. I am also rarely impressed with the cover art one the book is read. Sure a picture summarizes a thousand words, but the book is more complex than one or two thousand-word themes. 

I also find the cover art influences my interpretation of the novel before I've even begun. C'est ne pas bon. Here we can lay down some literary theory, particularly the theory surrounding graphic novels, but I'm way to lazy to type it out.

Come at me, Dilbert.
So buy leather bound books.
I was actually asking your opinion, not for a solution to such a simple problem. Yeah, I would just take the dust-jacket off the hardcover if I was that worried about it.

What I want to discuss is the relationship between the visual arts and literature.

I forgot I had to be a tool in order to start conversations on this site. No wonder I didn't miss it much.
The dust jacket doesn't really mean a whole lot or do anything for me when I go to purchase a book. For non-fiction they are entirely irrelevant and for fiction I tend to stick with a few authors so the artwork doesn't mean a thing to me. A recommendation from a friend is really the only thing that will get me to try a new fiction author as I don't have the time to sift through mounds of trash for find a gem.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
cover artwork doesn't mean a single damn thing to me. would be stupid to give it any consequence or thought.

the presentation and typography of a book, however, does matter... especially if its a paperback. it needs to withstand some serious use!

plus paperbacks often look crappy on a bookshelf... so i hope they have presentable jackets
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6115|eXtreme to the maX

Pochsy wrote:

Come at me, Dilbert.
Its irrelevant, I ignore it, everyone else should consider judging things on their actual merits as opposed to preconceptions of the book based on the cover and other people's opinions of the author.

Whether cover artists interpret a single theme - not sure what else they could do - or if a marketing student clip-arts it together at the last minute doesn't really matter TBH.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-10-20 15:49:18)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6115|eXtreme to the maX
The Truth About Burnout - How Organisations Cause Personal Stress and What to Do About it - Maslach and Leiter

I did feel the Jack Welch book was great on the business side and the positive 'easy' side of management but lacking the human side, this book fills the gap neatly and was exactly what I was looking for.

People aren't spark plugs, you can't just plug them into an organisation and expect them to start firing immediately and continue forever, especially if the organisation itself is a ball of shit.
At least people and organisations are beginning to realise this and how it affects the bottom line, there's no need to have hug sessions every morning, just manage a company and its people according to simple and reasonable principles.

I would have liked to have seen a bit more academic references and explanation as backup to their theories, but guess its a thin overview for a general audience.

(Bit disappointed with the cover TBH, no picture at all, the font was outdated, so last century, and some of the colour selection was strange, the authors are clearly losers, one is at Berkelely wherever that is and the other is in Canadia which didn't even exist at the time of Plato - unbefuckinglievable - the pages themselves were creamy and flexible, should last a long time without cracking so happy with that, and its the same height as most of my other books which will make for a neat library)

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-10-20 17:56:22)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Finished the Millenium series of books by Stieg Larsson and I must say it turned out better than expected. I figured I was in a lot of trouble when A) my girlfriend recommended it and B) I saw someone else reading it on the beach in Puerto Rico when I was there. I don't do pop fiction. Ever.

The three books in the series are "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo", "The Girl Who Played With Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest".

The first and second books start off rather slowly as the author builds his characters and immerses you in the world. Thankfully, he seems to have had in mind a more general audience or the reader would be scrambling for an atlas of Sweden constantly. Even with helpful additions like 'this town is in the north' or whatever, you'll still find yourself looking up place names. I actually enjoyed learning about Sweden via novel format more than I enjoyed the story itself (probably has something to do with my great liking of historical fiction). Between learning about the system of government, the geography, the weather, the people etc it was almost a guidebook but in fun form.

Anyway, so if you're looking for a bit of light reading in the crime suspense thriller format you could do far far worse than picking up this series. The fact that so many chicks seem to enjoy it could work as a bonus for you bachelors out there
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
Wallace Stevens - Collected Poems

'Harmonium' and the later piece titled 'Transport to Summer' are absolutely astounding

must read for any americans or poetry lovers. wallace represents a surprisingly accessible form of high-modernist poetry.

just amazing to imagine a straight-faced, upper class city accountant writing this stuff.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6694|United States of America
Got $20 from my parents, which I spent on ice cream and Brave New World. I was actually looking for The Importance of Being Earnest, which the computer said was in the Drama section, but there was no fucking drama section in that Borders. 'Twas bullshit.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6747|Oxferd Ohire
you could have asked an employee where the book might be
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6694|United States of America
Dude, there WAS NO DRAMA SECTION. The computer said Drama or Literature/Fiction, which is where I first looked but all they had was like 30 versions of Dorian Gray.

On that note, what books should I put on my christmas list? At this point in my life I'm trying to read lots of these classic literature pieces that you've heard about but never read, although I'm open to any suggestions that are good. Hell, I'll read poetry if it's worth the effort.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DesertFox- wrote:

Dude, there WAS NO DRAMA SECTION. The computer said Drama or Literature/Fiction, which is where I first looked but all they had was like 30 versions of Dorian Gray.

On that note, what books should I put on my christmas list? At this point in my life I'm trying to read lots of these classic literature pieces that you've heard about but never read, although I'm open to any suggestions that are good. Hell, I'll read poetry if it's worth the effort.
If you're going to do that, go to Barnes and Noble and buy the $5 classics. They're usually in the Bargain Books section near the registers.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5595

JohnG@lt wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

If you're going to do that, go to Barnes and Noble and buy the $5 classics. They're usually in the Bargain Books section near the registers.
^^
The list of the collection:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnes_%26 … Collection

Link from to the section on BnN.com:   http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Barnes- … 379001270/
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480

DesertFox- wrote:

the odyssey
the iliad
ovid
dante
milton

read those and you'll understand 99% of all archetypal characters, storylines and allusions

literally start with the 'classics' when you want to read the full literary canon
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

Coming in a little late to the cover art/design argument. No offense intended to clean art, but I like the style that you could look at for several minutes if you were so inclined.

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/unnamednewbie13/bookcovers.gif

I don't mind so much if the original publication didn't really have much in the way of artwork, but what irritates me is when a book that was released with great cover is later released, for whatever reason, with a design that looks like it took about ten second to whip up in Photoshop. I don't know if it's just licensing or an attempt to appeal to 'modern classics snobs' who don't think anything that looks anything other than low key is worth it, but I don't like it.

On the other hand, I love books with the leatherbound treatment. One of the reasons I visit the local Barnes & Noble is to see if they've released any more.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
if you're buying paperback, they're pretty much gonna be disposable, anyway... so why does it fucking matter

you read the book, maybe two or three times, then you throw it or give it away or put it somewhere to gather dust

if it's a book that you're going to be leafing through often, get it in hardback... and don't worry about shitty cover-art, period
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

Imagine if they did that to games?

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/unnamednewbie13/mehdoom1.jpg

Uzique wrote:

if you're buying paperback, they're pretty much gonna be disposable, anyway... so why does it fucking matter

you read the book, maybe two or three times, then you throw it or give it away or put it somewhere to gather dust

if it's a book that you're going to be leafing through often, get it in hardback... and don't worry about shitty cover-art, period
Fine, but I don't like seeing beautifully-rendered covers thrown away in favor of some trendy pattern. Still, I have paperbacks from the early 20th century that I haven't tossed out.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
imagine if they did it to games? when i play games i play the game... 99% of my game purchases nowadays aren't even physical/hard-copy.

a book is about what's inside the covers... as the old cliche goes. i'm happier with a completely blank/typeset leather cover than a stupid graphic interpretation of the book's content. i prefer to let my imagination and the careful descriptions of the author create the images and characters- not to have it spoonfed to me visually or thematically by some hack-artist.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

Well, of course the content has to be great but short of it being leatherbound, I hate to see good original artwork made for a book fall by the wayside in favor of a text-only or text-with-pattern design, even if only due to cross-publisher licensing.

Also, I've never had the problem of cover art or screenplays influencing how I thought characters in a book would look.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
well to counter your argument i think some of the sleeved paperback Faber & Faber designs are the best around

https://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0571228747.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2077/2218915270_277bebbd12.jpg

etc.

the material of the cover/sleeve makes up for a lot of that feel of 'quality', though. and the paper-grade, ofc.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

Well, poetry collections hardly need expansive art treatment (which one would you fairly choose to illustrate?). Unless there was one done for it before, quality binding and materials are sufficient for your two cases.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6747|Oxferd Ohire
just read Into the Wild and finishing up Three Cups of Tea
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RTHKI wrote:

just read Into the Wild and finishing up Three Cups of Tea
You should watch the sequel: Two Girls, One Cup.
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6747|Oxferd Ohire
"watch"
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RTHKI wrote:

"watch"
Google it.
-Frederick Bastiat
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6705|NJ

JohnG@lt wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

"watch"
Google it.
Can't unsee something, DO NOT WATCH.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard