Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
william golding was given the nobel prize because of his ideas.

nobel prizes aren't awarded for style and literary brilliance.

and yeah the nobel prize is an amazing artistic accolade. it's so credible.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6116|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

nobel prizes aren't awarded for style and literary brilliance.
Good, I don't read books for either.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
suits you!

although, considering you're in a book club discussion... you may like to consider that some, and indeed many, do...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Of course, however I read books for learning
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
oh damn, top trumps there.

i sure haven't learned a thing about the world, nor acquired any new knowledge whatsoever, in the last 3 years

probably because ive been reading lots of non-fiction, poetry, and literature with strong stylistic elements... waste of time, right?

guess all that grim realism and metaphor in 1984 was nothing but superfluous shite thrown out for arts students to waste their time on

definitely no politics, theory or ideology there. no sir.

stick to what you know and just hush up on things you don't know anything about. works better that way. ta.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
probably because ive been reading lots of non-fiction, poetry, and literature with strong stylistic elements... waste of time, right?
Dunno, did you learn anything useful?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
10/10 would read again.

nah you're totally right dilbert. i didn't learn anything of use, whatsoever. my mind is a cloud of vapid nothingness.

jesus christ you sound like a labour worker from the 1950's with your stance on intellectualism

from working class stock or just a bit of that infectious anti-intellectualism from elsewhere? you seriously remind me of the political egalitarians.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I asked if you learned anything useful.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
yes, many things.

im sorry they arent conveniently indexed in a series of textbooks to memorize-by-rote

otherwise i'd have a go-to reference list almost as extensive as yours

did you learn anything useful? i mean from your formal education and life experience. you're still arguing with kids half your age on the internet everyday.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Ah, so all that learning and the best you can come up with is "I don't rate Golding, Nobel prizes suck. The book cover has a photo, the book must be shit"?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-10-12 05:58:13)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
yeah, that's right. all that learning and ive acquired the skill to compact every single opinion, view and taste i have into one simple-sentence utterance. that's exactly it. it's a critical skill that one acquires after many years of intense introspection and philosophical wrangling. but, i have emerged with that extremely rare talent of being able to encompass my entire world view, education and skillset into single, opinionated statements on completely irrelevant nothings.

dilbert, how adroit of you!

[i say i don't rate golding as an author because there is no consistency of quality in his oeuvre. im not saying he's a bad writer, just that in a literary sense there is nothing 'outstanding' about his work that would put it on an especially high pedestal above the other authors of the period; golding condensed many thematic concerns and created a few good cautionary tales about humanity and the human condition at a time best summarized as 'the age of anxiety'. but, for all extensive purposes, it was a rather shallow series of allegories. the characterization was extremely poor, which is not something you expect in a novel of the period-- the characters in lord of the flies were functional archetypes of given personalities, not fully evolved personalities with any sense of real humanism. that is a severe weakness, for example-- one of many. i really don't know why you're trying to suggest i have "learned nothing" after years of study just because i don't personally think william golding is up there with the best prose writers of the 20th century. the book is important for a reason, but that reason isn't especially its literary/artistic merit. as i said on the nobel prize, it's obviously political and so of course it "sucks" for gauging literary merit-- which was what i was trying to do. a more fitting prize would be the pulitzer, or even the hideously-populist man booker prize. the nobel prize for literature acknowledges books with a wider political/social/cultural agency... not books that are outstanding pieces of art in themselves. that's all im saying, and all i have said.]
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480

Uzique wrote:

yeah, that's right. all that learning and ive acquired the skill to compact every single opinion, view and taste i have into one simple-sentence utterance. that's exactly it. it's a critical skill that one acquires after many years of intense introspection and philosophical wrangling. but, i have emerged with that extremely rare talent of being able to encompass my entire world view, education and skillset into single, opinionated statements on completely irrelevant nothings.

dilbert, how adroit of you!

[i say i don't rate golding as an author because there is no consistency of quality in his oeuvre. im not saying he's a bad writer, just that in a literary sense there is nothing 'outstanding' about his work that would put it on an especially high pedestal above the other authors of the period; golding condensed many thematic concerns and created a few good cautionary tales about humanity and the human condition at a time best summarized as 'the age of anxiety'. but, for all extensive purposes, it was a rather shallow series of allegories. the characterization was extremely poor, which is not something you expect in a novel of the period-- the characters in lord of the flies were functional archetypes of given personalities, not fully evolved personalities with any sense of real humanism. that is a severe weakness, for example-- one of many. i really don't know why you're trying to suggest i have "learned nothing" after years of study just because i don't personally think william golding is up there with the best prose writers of the 20th century. the book is important for a reason, but that reason isn't especially its literary/artistic merit. as i said on the nobel prize, it's obviously political and so of course it "sucks" for gauging literary merit-- which was what i was trying to do. a more fitting prize would be the pulitzer, or even the hideously-populist man booker prize. the nobel prize for literature acknowledges books with a wider political/social/cultural agency... not books that are outstanding pieces of art in themselves. that's all im saying, and all i have said.]
and LMAO i just saw what you edited in about the book-cover... what the fuck? where did i say anything about the cover? what edition are you even talking about? hahahaha that made me laugh out loud; how incredibly neurotic and puerile you can be, dilbert. fyi the 2 editions of the book that i have read never had a photo on the cover. nor would i even deign to mention such an irrelevant thing. hahahaha wow.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I was referring to this.

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

Just ordered this book.
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images … 811588.JPG
The Earth's leaders have drawn a line in the interstellar sand—despite the fact that the fierce alien enemy they would oppose is inscrutable, unconquerable, and very far away. A reluctant conscript drafted into an elite Military unit, Private William Mandella has been propelled through space and time to fight in the distant thousand-year conflict; to perform his duties and do whatever it takes to survive the ordeal and return home. But "home" may be even more terrifying than battle, because, thanks to the time dilation caused by space travel, Mandella is aging months while the Earth he left behind is aging centuries...

Uzique wrote:

sounds utterly rubbish
all good literature does have concepts, developments and comments on the human condition- that's why it becomes canonized and stays powerful, relevant and influential... come on, dilbert, you cannot be that ignorant. the book macbeth linked is an example of literature-as-commodity; wanky pulp.
I'm in favour of intellectualism. Pretension and snobbery without substance - not so much.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5596

Dilbert_X wrote:

I was referring to this.

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

Just ordered this book.
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images … 811588.JPG
The Earth's leaders have drawn a line in the interstellar sand—despite the fact that the fierce alien enemy they would oppose is inscrutable, unconquerable, and very far away. A reluctant conscript drafted into an elite Military unit, Private William Mandella has been propelled through space and time to fight in the distant thousand-year conflict; to perform his duties and do whatever it takes to survive the ordeal and return home. But "home" may be even more terrifying than battle, because, thanks to the time dilation caused by space travel, Mandella is aging months while the Earth he left behind is aging centuries...

Uzique wrote:

sounds utterly rubbish
all good literature does have concepts, developments and comments on the human condition- that's why it becomes canonized and stays powerful, relevant and influential... come on, dilbert, you cannot be that ignorant. the book macbeth linked is an example of literature-as-commodity; wanky pulp.
I'm in favour of intellectualism. Pretension and snobbery without substance - not so much.
Haldeman's most famous novel is The Forever War (1975), inspired by his Vietnam experiences, which won both the Hugo  and Nebula Awards. He later turned it into a series. In October 2008 it was announced that Ridley Scott will direct a feature film based on The Forever War for Fox.[4]

He currently resides in Gainesville, Florida and Cambridge, Massachusetts and teaches writing at MIT.

He is a lifetime member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA), and past-president.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Haldeman

He's a pretty accomplished writer. Whatever the hell that means.

Last edited by Macbeth (2010-10-12 15:58:53)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
where in the fuck have i mentioned once what the cover art has to do with the quality of prose?

you're talking out of your ass - as per usual on the subject of the arts
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6507

this thread has inspired me! brb, judging books by their covers . . .
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique wrote:

where in the fuck have i mentioned once what the cover art has to do with the quality of prose?

you're talking out of your ass - as per usual on the subject of the arts
You judged a book to be 'utter rubbish' based on a pic and a few lines from Barnes Noble.
GG
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
i know of the author, dumb ass
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5046|Massachusetts, USA
Knowing of the author and reading their books are two completely different things.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6163|what

Not if you're reading an autobiography.

Or the Diary of Anne Frank.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
In neither example would knowing of the author have any relevance to the quality of the book.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6163|what

Dilbert_X wrote:

In neither example would knowing of the author have any relevance to the quality of the book.
Neither either but either?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5553|Toronto
After reading Dilbert and Uzique's exchange, I'm actually curious as to what everybody thinks about the relation between visual art and literature. I actually would prefer to see fewer books with cover art, only because I find the cover-artist usually interprets only one major theme. I am also rarely impressed with the cover art one the book is read. Sure a picture summarizes a thousand words, but the book is more complex than one or two thousand-word themes. 

I also find the cover art influences my interpretation of the novel before I've even begun. C'est ne pas bon. Here we can lay down some literary theory, particularly the theory surrounding graphic novels, but I'm way to lazy to type it out.

Come at me, Dilbert.

Last edited by Pochsy (2010-10-20 06:52:05)

The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5368|London, England

Pochsy wrote:

After reading Dilbert and Uzique's exchange, I'm actually curious as to what everybody thinks about the relation between visual art and literature. I actually would prefer to see fewer books with cover art, only because I find the cover-artist usually interprets only one major theme. I am also rarely impressed with the cover art one the book is read. Sure a picture summarizes a thousand words, but the book is more complex than one or two thousand-word themes. 

I also find the cover art influences my interpretation of the novel before I've even begun. C'est ne pas bon. Here we can lay down some literary theory, particularly the theory surrounding graphic novels, but I'm way to lazy to type it out.

Come at me, Dilbert.
So buy leather bound books.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6009|Vortex Ring State

Pochsy wrote:

Come at me, Dilbert.
Cover Art should be like the cover art of Silence of the Wire, in my opinion (not a good book by any literary standards, but a good technical read, just using it as an example here).

Oh and I would like Uzique's opinion of Paul Auster

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard