Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/01/01/fa … topstories

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A Muslim family removed from an airliner Thursday after passengers became concerned about their conversation say AirTran officials refused to rebook them, even after FBI investigators cleared them of wrongdoing.
A Muslim family was removed from an AirTran flight after a conversation about the safest place to sit.

A Muslim family was removed from an AirTran flight after a conversation about the safest place to sit.

Atif Irfan said federal authorities removed eight members of his extended family and a friend after passengers heard them discussing the safest place to sit and misconstrued the nature of the conversation.

Irfan, a U.S. citizen and tax attorney, said he was "impressed with the professionalism" of the FBI agents who questioned him, but said he felt mistreated when the airline refused to book the family for a later flight.

AirTran Airways late Thursday said they acted properly and that the family was offered full refunds and can fly with AirTran again.

"AirTran Airways complied with all TSA, law enforcement and Homeland Security directives and had no discretion in the matter," the company said in a prepared statement.

Family members said FBI agents tried to work it out with the airline, but to no avail.

"The FBI agents actually cleared our names," said Inayet Sahin, Irfan's sister-in-law. "They went on our behalf and spoke to the airlines and said, 'There is no suspicious activity here. They are clear. Please let them get on a flight so they can go on their vacation,' and they still refused."

"The airline told us that we can't fly their airline," Irfan said.

The dispute occurred about 1 p.m. Thursday as AirTran flight 175 was preparing for takeoff from Reagan National Airport outside of Washington, D.C., on a flight destined for Orlando, Florida.

Atif Irfan, his brother, their wives, a sister and three children were headed to Orlando to meet with family and attend a religious conference.

"The conversation, as we were walking through the plane trying to find our seats, was just about where the safest place in an airplane is," Sahin said. "We were (discussing whether it was safest to sit near) the wing, or the engine or the back or the front, but that's it. We didn't say anything else that would raise any suspicion."

The conversation did not contain the words "bomb," "explosion," "terror" or other words that might have aroused suspicion, Irfan said.

"When we were talking, when we turned around, I noticed a couple of girls kind of snapped their heads," said Sobia Ijaz, Irfan's wife. "I kind of thought to myself, 'Oh, you know, maybe they're going to say something.' It didn't occur to me that they were going to make it such a big issue."

Some time later, while the plane was still at the gate, an FBI agent boarded the plane and asked Irfan and his wife to leave the plane. The rest of the family was removed 15 or 20 minutes later, along with a family friend, Abdul Aziz, a Library of Congress attorney and family friend who was coincidentally taking the same flight and had been seen talking to the family.

After the FBI interviewed family members, it released them, Irfan said.

AirTran spokesman Tad Hutcheson said the incident began when some passengers reported hearing suspicious remarks by a woman and alerted flight attendants. Two Federal Air Marshals, who were on board the flight, notified law enforcement about the security-related issue, AirTran said.

After the family and Aziz were taken for questioning, the remaining 95 passengers were taken off of the plane and rescreened, along with the crew and the baggage, AirTran said.

Irfan said he believes his family is owed an apology.

"Really, at the end of the day, we're not out here looking for money. I'm an attorney. I know how the court system works. We're basically looking for someone to say... 'We're apologizing for treating you as second-class citizens.'"

"We are proud Americans," Sahin said. "You know we decided to have our children and raise them here. We can very easily go anywhere we want in the world, but you know we love it here and we're not going to go away, no matter what."

Aziz said there is a "very strong possibility" he will pursue a civil rights lawsuit.

"I guess it's just a situation of guilt by association," Aziz said. "They see one Muslim talking to another Muslim and they automatically assume something wrong is going on."
This is very, very, very poor. I hope this isn't becoming the norm.

Last edited by Spark (2009-01-02 03:33:33)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6623|Finland

Oh dear..

I need around tree fiddy.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6656|NT, like Mick Dundee

Wow...

Just...

Talk about backwards attitudes. Wankers.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
Those evil mooslums, they're always the turrists.
You can spot them cuz they're dark and shit.
https://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/Dilbert_X/tim20mcveigh.jpg

The most effective terrorist to attack America is still a white Christian Gulf-War veteran.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-01-02 04:54:13)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA
It is the times we live in, we did it to the Japanese as well, even worse actually. OF course IF something did happen I am sure you would be on here screaming how the security initiatives fail and are worthless and how it was just a "few" Islamic terrorists anyway so there is nothing to be concerned about. Lets not forget that classic, your "profiling and a racist" defenses that you would pull out of the bag.

Bottomline here is some people got offended but it is a testament that we, ( or the airlines at least) still consider terrorisim a threat and are not taking any chances in regards to preventing it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If they didn't do anything to arouse suspicion then they have a point.
If there's any profiling to be done it should be for white war veterans TBH.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-01-02 05:15:00)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

Like I said, it is the times we live in, it is not unprecedented, and I am glad the airlines still err on the side of caution.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6623|Finland

lowing wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Like I said, it is the times we live in, it is not unprecedented, and I am glad the airlines still err on the side of caution.
But they couldn't get a new flight even when they were cleared by the FBI. There's caution, then there's prejudice.
I need around tree fiddy.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Lets hope they sue and bankrupt the suckers.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

Ahhhhh yes, the typical liberal retirment plan at work. Sue someone and take what they have earned for yourself. Good plan.

You say this as if the airline wouldn't have been sued if something happened and they didn't stop it. The airline is in a no win situation. The fact is nothing happened and they did their part to ensure that. Yet here you are, wanting to sue them into oblivion for erring on the side of caution and  safety . Go figure
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6612|London, England

lowing wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Ahhhhh yes, the typical liberal retirment plan at work. Sue someone and take what they have earned for yourself. Good plan.

You say this as if the airline wouldn't have been sued if something happened and they didn't stop it. The airline is in a no win situation. The fact is nothing happened and they did their part to ensure that. Yet here you are, wanting to sue them into oblivion for erring on the side of caution and  safety . Go figure
Now calm down. They were cleared by the FBI of all people yet were still refused, how is that safety and caution. How could something have happened after they were cleared by the FBI, and here you are even thinking something would happen just because they were Muslims. Cmon now, even I think that's fucked up. They could sue for discrimination, I don't see why not. I just can't beleive you're actually talking about caution and safety about people who have had to be cleared by the FBI and everything.

Really I couldn't care less if they were sued and lost a considerable amount of money, so what if it's their hard earned money. They're the ones being prejudice, when it comes to shit like that I really don't care what happens to someone. But meh, not surprised this shit happens in the US anyway.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

If they were quiet the passengers would've thought they were up to something...
ghettoperson
+1,943|6640

Mekstizzle wrote:

lowing wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Now calm down. They were cleared by the FBI of all people yet were still refused, how is that safety and caution. How could something have happened after they were cleared by the FBI, and here you are even thinking something would happen just because they were Muslims. Cmon now, even I think that's fucked up. They could sue for discrimination, I don't see why not. I just can't beleive you're actually talking about caution and safety about people who have had to be cleared by the FBI and everything.

Really I couldn't care less if they were sued and lost a considerable amount of money, so what if it's their hard earned money. They're the ones being prejudice, when it comes to shit like that I really don't care what happens to someone. But meh, not surprised this shit happens in the US anyway.
Yeah, I can sort of understand overly paranoid bigots getting freaked out when scary mooslims get on board, but I think once they were cleared by the FBI all would be good, and they should be allowed to fly. The fact they weren't is shocking, and they're certainly making themselves liable to be sued.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

lowing wrote:

It is the times we live in, we did it to the Japanese as well, even worse actually. OF course IF something did happen I am sure you would be on here screaming how the security initiatives fail and are worthless and how it was just a "few" Islamic terrorists anyway so there is nothing to be concerned about. Lets not forget that classic, your "profiling and a racist" defenses that you would pull out of the bag.

Bottomline here is some people got offended but it is a testament that we, ( or the airlines at least) still consider terrorisim a threat and are not taking any chances in regards to preventing it.
Would you be ok with airlines and aiports profiling Wasps?
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6459

sergeriver wrote:

lowing wrote:

I would not only condone that, I would support it.

Stupid Rich faggots.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6520|Global Command

Dilbert_X wrote:

Those evil mooslums, they're always the turrists.
You can spot them cuz they're dark and shit.
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj25 … cveigh.jpg

The most effective terrorist to attack America is still a white Christian Gulf-War veteran.
Actually, it was the ATF in Waco that led to those death in Oklahoma. Cause and effect.

The ATF is a terrorist orgaanization.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547
Guilty by irrational paranoia and suspicion. Guilty until proven innocent. Land of the free. lol

/I know it's not fair to characterise the US by this one indiscretion.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-01-02 08:34:02)

mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6755|d
wow, that just fuked. Even after being cleared by the fbi.I wonder, what is the best place to sit ?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

Guilty by irrational paranoia and suspicion. Guilty until proven innocent. Land of the free. lol

Yeah well I remember a time before 911 where we, as Americans, were FREE and trusted. We were allowed to take our children into the cockpits so they could talk to the pilots and such. We WERE FREE and trusting. It was the rest of the world that betrayed our trust and our freedoms and used them against us. If you wanna "sue" someone sue those responsible for that betrayal.

You will mock us for not being as free as we were, then condemn us for being stupid, naive and trusting which allowed the attacks to happen. Good stuff Cam.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Yeah well I remember a time before 911 where we, as Americans, were FREE and trusted. We were allowed to take our children into the cockpits so they could talk to the pilots and such. We WERE FREE and trusting. It was the rest of the world that betrayed our trust and our freedoms and used them against us. If you wanna "sue" someone sue those responsible for that betrayal.

You will mock us for not being as free as we were, then condemn us for being stupid, naive and trusting which allowed the attacks to happen. Good stuff Cam.
lol You don't trust your own FBI now. That's paranoia. lololololol
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA

sergeriver wrote:

lowing wrote:

Yeah serge I would, if the WASPS had the stigma, fact or otherwise, attached to them that Islam does. I damn sure would.

In America we kick suspecious behavior off of airplanes. In India and elsewhere, they hunt down westerners for slaughter. But off course this is incident drags all of you out of woodwork for protest and America bashing.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

lol You don't trust your own FBI now. That's paranoia. lololololol
It has nothing to do with paranoia, it has everything to do with prudence and caution. The majority of the passengers on that plane felt uneasy after what happened. It is better to put those people on a later flight than to put them all together after that and just hope nothing happened.

It wouldn't be the FBI that was ultimately in danger of or responsible for

A: an inccident or
B: being sued.
HollisHurlbut
+51|5989

mafia996630 wrote:

I wonder, what is the best place to sit ?
Two answers:
A: In the back, since planes don't normally reverse into hills.
B: Whichever seat is on top of the flight data recorder.  After all, if this is the only bit they expect to get back, you should be strapped to it.

Really, "in the back" satisfies the second condition as well, since most FDR's are in the tail section.

An alternative answer is "any seat at all is perfectly safe, as long as you're flying Qantas."
Monkey Spanker
Show it to the nice monkey.
+284|6243|England
OK the airline would look like they done the right thing in the first instance but to then refuse them a seat on a later flight after they were cleared by the FBI is just wrong. It doesn't matter if they were Muslim, christian or purple teapots they have no right to refuse them a flight after they are proven innocent surely, to say otherwise is just bloody foolish and just plain argumentative.

Last edited by smuder201 (2009-01-02 10:31:26)

Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f30415b2d1cff840176cce816dc76d89a7929bb0.png
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5602|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)
Wow, that's sad, that people were suspicious of them just because they saw Muslims talking to each other. I would not be irritated if they had done something suspicious, but they were just going on vacation and talking to a friend and each other. I hope this is not becoming the norm to suspect people just because of their race/religion.

They deserve an apology from the airline in my opinion.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard