kylef
Gone
+1,352|6504|N. Ireland
http://www.techradar.com/news/world-of- … ong-497424

The last minute of 2008 will be a second longer whether we like it or not, according to UK's official timekeepers at the National Physical Laboratory.

That's because a leap second, the first for three years, is being added to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), the standard clock used around the world, right on the cusp of 2009.

Peter Whibberley, Senior Research Scientist in the National Physical Laboratory's Time Group, says: "Atomic clocks like those at NPL are now more than a million times more stable than the Earth's rotation. As a result, the two methods of measuring time slowly drift apart and we occasionally have to add or subtract a leap second to the atomic clocks to make sure astronomical and atomic time remain synchronised.

"The difference between atomic time and Earth time has now built up to the point where it needs to be corrected, so this New Year's Eve we will experience a rare 61 second minute at the very end of 2008."

As a result, New Year's revelers will have a bit longer to reflect on the delights of 2008, or alternatively, be able to delay the entrance of a hard to-look-forward-to 2009. Happy New Year!
Be sure you get your timing right.
-Gunsmoke-
+165|6646|South Jersey
Ok.  I'll rely on the guys in NYC to get the ball right
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6576|Area 51
lol 1 second.
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6695|West Yorkshire, U.K
We're doomed.

amirite
g-not_(:0).<3~
Banned
+4|5613|sufu, sd?
hahahaha...1sec

we will see
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6777|Cambridge (UK)
Sweet.

I'll be very very slightly less drunk as 2009 rolls in.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6586|London
lol @ 'leap seconds'

Even bigger lol @ 'UK's official timekeepers at the National Physical Laboratory' -sux2bthem
Kez
+778|5714|London, UK
So when everyone counts from 10 we're actually counting from 11?

Ha they'll be starting the fireworks and celebrations 1 second before 2009, dumb pricks
Swissy201
That guy
+12|6289

kylef wrote:

Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
Looks like dyslexics are running the world.
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|5947
OMG 1 second, we'd better not forget it or it will be the end of mankind as we know it!
VicktorVauhn
+319|6403|Southern California
When everyone screams Happy New year 1 second early I will be sure to hold out go at the right time...
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6701|Tampa Bay Florida
holy shit y2k all over again
CTD-CaptainBuck
BLEEDING BLUE
+71|6779|Tenn
its gonna fuk sum people up

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, HAPPY NEW YE- wait wat?
Kez
+778|5714|London, UK
I've pre-warned all of my friends so they don't look like muppets when they shout out HAPPY NEW YEAR too early
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6686|Canberra, AUS
I wonder if anyone's considered that all the new year countdowns will already have the extra second factored in

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard