Brits died, Israelis didn't
ok
jord
+2,382|6745|The North, beyond the wall.

.Sup wrote:

usmarine wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Not the same situation.
sure it is.  it was war.  war was being waged on the euros from german cities.  brits did what they had to do in order to survive and save their people.  so yes, quite similar.
Brits died, Israelis didn't
Ya cause Hamas are launching RPG attacks as presents. It's not like they're trying to kill people or anything...

Hamas being incompetent at fighting shouldn't factor into your debate.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6596|Global Command
Hamas announced they were calling off a truce and fired military weapons from civillian areas.

All the rest does not matter to me.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6828

ATG wrote:

Hamas announced they were calling off a truce and fired military weapons from civillian areas.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6824|Argentina

usmarine wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

usmarine wrote:

they are caring for their own first, which is what a country is supposed to do.  do you hate the brits also for what they did in dresden?
Not the same situation.
sure it is.  it was war.  war was being waged on the euros from german cities.  brits did what they had to do in order to survive and save their people.  so yes, quite similar.
The difference is Germans were killing millions of people, so that was a war indeed.  The casualties of the bombings in Dresden were a bit high, but it was WW2, not a stupid fight for a slice of land.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6828

sergeriver wrote:

not a stupid fight for a slice of land.
well the slice was bigger yes but still....
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6824|Argentina

ATG wrote:

Killing exactly how many Israelis again?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6828

sergeriver wrote:

ATG wrote:

so they sucked and missed.  oh well.  have they never killed anyone recently?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6667|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

jord wrote:

You know what's easier than finding homes for millions of Israelis, installing a new government, displacing lots of businesses and money?

Fighting for a shitty bit of land and taking a few inaccurate rocket attacks. And that's why nothing will change. End.
This is the core of the problem.  It's hard to expect a conventional force like the IDF to be able to fight the insurgents effectively without killing civilians.  We face the same problems in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The militants hide behind civilians because they can't take on the IDF head-on and because they know the repercussions of collateral generally benefit them.

Still, I find it hard to sympathize with the civilians, since some of them support the militants.
Well the threat in Iraq has diminished (relatively speaking). This was only achieved because Iraqis were empowered and protected. In Gaza Palestinians either don't want to oust the militants or they live in fear of retaliation if they try to.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6824|Argentina

Kmarion wrote:

Well the threat in Iraq has diminished (relatively speaking). This was only achieved because Iraqis were empowered and protected. In Gaza Palestinians either don't want to oust the militants or they live in fear of retaliation if they try to.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6824|Argentina

usmarine wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

ATG wrote:

Oh yes they did, but this is out of proportion.  The BBC is talking now of +200 kills.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6828

sergeriver wrote:

Oh yes they did, but this is out of proportion.  The BBC is talking now of +200 kills.
so none were hamas or their supporters right?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6667|132 and Bush

sergeriver wrote:

ATG wrote:

They never wanted to kill Israelis. They wanted to kill their own. I know inviting retaliation sounds crazy. But popular sentiment and martyrdom are that areas two most cherished prizes.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6472|North Carolina

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

jord wrote:

You know what's easier than finding homes for millions of Israelis, installing a new government, displacing lots of businesses and money?

Fighting for a shitty bit of land and taking a few inaccurate rocket attacks. And that's why nothing will change. End.
This is the core of the problem.  It's hard to expect a conventional force like the IDF to be able to fight the insurgents effectively without killing civilians.  We face the same problems in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The militants hide behind civilians because they can't take on the IDF head-on and because they know the repercussions of collateral generally benefit them.

Still, I find it hard to sympathize with the civilians, since some of them support the militants.
Very true...  one of the better aspects of setting up democracy in Iraq was how the power given to the people at least gave the impression of enfranchisement to them.   When the people feel they can make a difference, they generally act in more courageous and moderate ways.

I suppose Israel has much to learn from us in that respect.
jord

sergeriver wrote:

usmarine wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

It should be 2000 frankly, you don't attack a country 10 times stronger and then moan when you get hit back harder. God I hate this century, everyone moans about everything.

Last edited by jord (2008-12-27 11:14:50)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6824|Argentina

usmarine wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

so none were hamas or their supporters right?
Do you know how many were Hamas?  Most militants don't get kill in these attacks, and you know it.  They hide while the civilians are slaughtered by the Israeli F-16s bombs.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6667|132 and Bush

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

The retaliation I speak of is from the militants.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6828

jord wrote:

It should be 2000 frankly, you don't attack a country 10 times stronger and then moan when you get hit back harder. God I hate this century, everyone moans about everything.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6824|Argentina

jord wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

usmarine wrote:

This is the problem.  Poeple should understand that Hamas and Palestine are two different entities.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6824|Argentina

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Oh, I know.  They live in fear, wouldn't you?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6828

sergeriver wrote:

got to rise up sometime ya know.  hell even .sup's people said f-you to the commies.
jord

sergeriver wrote:

jord wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

This is the problem.  Poeple should understand that Hamas and Palestine are two different entities.
Maybe the larger of the 2 should turn around and think "Oh wait, wait wait wait. Hold on a sec, when these guys fire shitty rockets into Israel we end up in the shit. I think we should end this now, and rise up and tell these guys we don't want to harbour them anymore, we don't want them near us anymore. We don't want anything to do with them, and if you come near us we will fight you".
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6667|132 and Bush

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Shit, I fuckin move. I hear Egypt has an open border now..lol.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6828

jord wrote:

Maybe the larger of the 2 should turn around and think "Oh wait, wait wait wait. Hold on a sec, when these guys fire shitty rockets into Israel we end up in the shit. I think we should end this now, and rise up and tell these guys we don't want to harbour them anymore, we don't want them near us anymore. We don't want anything to do with them, and if you come near us we will fight you".
but its easier to cry about israel
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6824|Argentina

usmarine wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

got to rise up sometime ya know.  hell even .sup's people said f-you to the commies.
It's easy to talk when you are sitting comfortably in front of your PC.  But, I guess we all are guilty of that.  I don't know how I would react in the same situation.  How would you?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard