usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6767

Expensive addon yes.  Get it.  Very nice airplane to fly. (or torrent which I am sure you all do anyway)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6543|Long Island, New York
I'd rather just get the FSX Acceleration add-on and get the F-18/P-51 tbh.

The only payware I'd ever get for FSX is the Space Launch/Shuttle simulator.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6573|NYC / Hamburg

F14 > F18
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6791|Perth, Western Australia
I may be missing the point entirely here, but can I shoot stuff now?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6476

SharkyMcshark wrote:

No, you still sit in a chair for 8 hours and fly from pixellated Point A to pixellated Point B to land in an indistinguishable low-res airport.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)

Uzique wrote:

SharkyMcshark wrote:

No, you still sit in a chair for 8 hours and fly from pixellated Point A to pixellated Point B to land in an indistinguishable low-res airport.
Or, if you're me, you sit in a chair for 5 minutes, flying from pixelated point A to nearest pixelated mountain, crash, quit game, put disc back in box, put box in cupboard and never 'play' it ever again.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6476

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

SharkyMcshark wrote:

Or, if you're me, you sit in a chair for 5 minutes, flying from pixelated point A to nearest pixelated mountain, crash, quit game, put disc back in box, put box in cupboard and never 'play' it ever again.
That's a shame man, I found after buying £500's worth of extra equipment and periphery, it was incredibly realistic. When I open my bedroom window I almost get the impression of actually being outside up in the air as well, and I find alternating my bedroom blinds between open and shut achieves a life-like effect on the in-game time of day. Amazing gaming experience, second only to actually going outside.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6762|Scotland

I was quite disappointed... There are better flying experiences than that plane on FSX. I don't have FSX anymore, so I couldn't try it out again.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6767

Uzique wrote:

SharkyMcshark wrote:

or for some of us who actually fly you can keep your navigation skills up to date and shoot approaches that you dont usually do on a regular basis.  but, you know everything so you should know that already.

and you play WoW so you are in NO position to judge anything about the uselessness of a game.

Last edited by usmarine (2008-12-27 06:21:59)

aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5759|Roma

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

SharkyMcshark wrote:

I once tried to fly a Beoing 7something the air plane from the states to something like England or something i don't remember, and i quit after 5 minutes.
The taking off only took me 4 minutes.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6767

aerodynamic wrote:

I once tried to fly a Beoing 7something the air plane from the states to something like England or something i don't remember, and i quit after 5 minutes.
because its a simulation.  if you want arcade jets, go play bf2 or something.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6762|Scotland

usmarine wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

I love FSX. The amount of satisfaction you get from a good landing is brilliant. Also, if you update the textures and get all the really detailed airports it looks absolutely fabulous.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6767

Zimmer wrote:

usmarine wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

I love FSX. The amount of satisfaction you get from a good landing is brilliant. Also, if you update the textures and get all the really detailed airports it looks absolutely fabulous.
i agree but these people expected some zap zap bang bang game or something.  of course every airport is not high detail and high res.  you would need a friggin super computer and the game would take years to make.

Last edited by usmarine (2008-12-27 07:03:28)

Shadow893
lel
+75|6698|England
nah military planes aren't my thing. I prefer to fly the 747X from pmdg amazing plane

Here
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6476

usmarine wrote:

Uzique wrote:

SharkyMcshark wrote:

or for some of us who actually fly you can keep your navigation skills up to date and shoot approaches that you dont usually do on a regular basis.  but, you know everything so you should know that already.

and you play WoW so you are in NO position to judge anything about the uselessness of a game.
I do? Oh, thanks for informing me of that Because I defend WoW players in bf2s threads that means I'm a hardcore player? Haha! Besides, I'm pretty sure just about any MMO is more engaging and entertaining than sitting on yer arse staring at 2D cloud patterns for 6 hours with the 'Autopilot' turned on-- especially when the sappy fucks buy hundreds of dollars worth of 'authentic' joy-sticks and foot pedals etc. Sad, sad, sad. Flight simulator players are like the trainspotters of the gaming world, and I do quite honestly view them as a bigger scourge than your casual 13 year old with his Night Elf Druid!

As for yourself Marine, I coulda guessed why you play it... and that's fair enough. You're in a terribly small minority of flight-sim players though: people that have actually been in a cockpit in real life .
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6767

Uzique wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Uzique wrote:

I do? Oh, thanks for informing me of that Because I defend WoW players in bf2s threads that means I'm a hardcore player? Haha! Besides, I'm pretty sure just about any MMO is more engaging and entertaining than sitting on yer arse staring at 2D cloud patterns for 6 hours with the 'Autopilot' turned on-- especially when the sappy fucks buy hundreds of dollars worth of 'authentic' joy-sticks and foot pedals etc. Sad, sad, sad. Flight simulator players are like the trainspotters of the gaming world, and I do quite honestly view them as a bigger scourge than your casual 13 year old with his Night Elf Druid!

As for yourself Marine, I coulda guessed why you play it... and that's fair enough. You're in a terribly small minority of flight-sim players though: people that have actually been in a cockpit in real life .
yes but i did play it before i even touched an airplane to get an idea.  and tbh, i feel it helped out.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6476
Yeah, I remember on TV once they got a proper flight-sim nerd to land a light aircraft (under supervision, of course) and he actually did it. Was pretty rough and far from a textbook landing but it's amazing what thousands of hours staring at a 19 inch monitor with thousands of dollars of investment on plastic toys can achieve for you. I'm not saying it's a bad simulator, my point is that you're an incredibly tiny minority of players that actually have anything to do with aviation. The rest just spend a shitload and sit up all night barking commands to other fake-pilots over Ventrilo in their home-made virtual cockpits; and yes, to me that is sadder than your average teenage WoW player.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6767

Uzique wrote:

Yeah, I remember on TV once they got a proper flight-sim nerd to land a light aircraft (under supervision, of course) and he actually did it. Was pretty rough and far from a textbook landing but it's amazing what thousands of hours staring at a 19 inch monitor with thousands of dollars of investment on plastic toys can achieve for you. I'm not saying it's a bad simulator, my point is that you're an incredibly tiny minority of players that actually have anything to do with aviation. The rest just spend a shitload and sit up all night barking commands to other fake-pilots over Ventrilo in their home-made virtual cockpits; and yes, to me that is sadder than your average teenage WoW player.
i would say most people who play have an interest in aviation.  a lot fly to some degree.  it may even spark some interest.  not sure what WoW would do for you since you cant do any of that crap in real life.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5759|Roma

usmarine wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

I agree simulations are fun, but until a certain point.
Its still a game, and to make it as realistic as possible is just a waste of time.
e.g, the Pr mod for bf2. Its awesome, its truly going close to real war but it is still a game, and when a human plays a game he does it to enjoy himself. Not to walk 100kms by foot or wait on the ground for 30 minutes because other planes keep landing and landing.
I did go back to play it again and it WAS fun, but its just the idea to make something so realistic that it takes that fun away.
It is just my opinion though.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6476

usmarine wrote:

Uzique wrote:

i would say most people who play have an interest in aviation.  a lot fly to some degree.  it may even spark some interest.  not sure what WoW would do for you since you cant do any of that crap in real life.
Of course not, but one could very capably argue that games are designed to be fun, and it's no crime to simply play a game for fun. When I play TF2 I play it because I enjoy the game, not because it's developing crucial hand-eye coordination skills that will lend themselves arbitrarily to some occupation or practice. In my opinion, as aerodynamic somewhat expressed, the realism extremism that certain flight-sim players get into is way over the top; sure everyone rags on WoW players because they spend their time in a fantasy universe, but at least WoW players recognise the casual divide between real-life and fantasy enjoyment. Flight sim nerds spend 8 hours a day flying from Heathrow to NY and back in a virtual space that means nothing... and I think the case that playing flight sims develops 'real' flight skills is a little spare. In certain examples of course, but then again there are countless sociological dissertations and published books around about how raid-leading in WoW develops teamwork and coordination abilities that lend themselves to corporate environments etc.etc... all bullshit.

But I digress, this is a thread for your game. My enjoyment ended at Microsoft Flight Simulator- which I must say was absolutely fantastic with a high-spec joystick. I just can't crack into the real simulation stuff though with all of the expensive peripherals, I guess I don't have that spark for aviation. Much preferred blowing the Luftwaffe into little pieces over continental Europe.

Last edited by Uzique (2008-12-27 12:44:19)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

max wrote:

F14 > F18
wrong
max
Vela Incident

Poseidon wrote:

max wrote:

F14 > F18
wrong
F14s are bad-ass planes. F18s are meh

Top gun had F14
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

max wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

max wrote:

F14 > F18
wrong
F14s are bad-ass planes. F18s are meh

Top gun had F14
F-18's have a decade or so of youth to their advantage...plus, they did replace the F-14's after all..

All due respect to the F-14's, I mean my grandfather worked at Grumman and worked on them for 30 years, but the F-18 is clearly superior. Not to mention the F-14 is retired now.
max
Vela Incident

When the planes main activity is bombing countries with no AA capabilities only looks and general awesomeness count
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6767

max wrote:

When the planes main activity is bombing countries with no AA capabilities
eh?  iraq shot at coalition planes in the no fly zone all the time.  where have you been?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard