Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6631|London, England
..Cos they ain't paying their bills.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7799321.stm

Tbh, sounds reasonable to me. I mean the same shit would happen to my family if we stopped paying our bills too. But something tells me that there's other factors in this. Thoughts?

Just another reason why you should never fucking rely on other countries for vital things. Energy Security should be one of the main things, like France rarely has to deal with this sort of bullshit as 80 or so % of their electricity comes from Nuclear Power. I know you could say whoever has the Uranium holds the keys to France, but they're all in normal countries anyway so it doesn't matter

Also notice how the BBC have worded the title of that article. "Ukraine's gas" - Last time I checked, the gas isn't theirs

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2008-12-24 10:53:52)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6566
To be honest this and the whole Gas cartel thing can only be good in the long run. The sooner we seriously invest in sustainable energy sources the better. With reliance you cede whatever independence you might imagine you have.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6481
What's this now, the tenth time Russia have threatened to do such a thing?

Russia have been bullying the Eastern bloc and the rest of Europe more generally for years now over their resource-control. Didn't they actually get to the point of turning off the tap for a few days/weeks sometime earlier this year or in 2007? Lulz, it's funny. Will never amount to anything, just the Russian bear being cuddly.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6578|Mountains of NC

https://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq59/billabongchild94/random%20stuff/crap%20i%20like/thesoupnazi.jpg

NO GAS FOR YOU

yes i know
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS
Yet another reason why some kind of price signal to get people OFF oil is necessary. Better to pay a tax to your own country than to fill the pockets of Russian expansionists and/or Saudi extremist clerics.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
CameronPoe
+2,925|6566
What's the Russian for 'Merry Christmas'?
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6199|Canada

CameronPoe wrote:

С Рождеством

via google translator, probably not the right expression..
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6539|Global Command

CameronPoe wrote:

" put vodka in your gas tanks bitchstochikas. "
gatorlova
Guess who!
+17|6006

Phatmatt wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

С Рождеством

via google translator, probably not the right expression..
it is
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6785|Moscow, Russia

Uzique wrote:

What's this now, the tenth time Russia have threatened to do such a thing?

Russia have been bullying the Eastern bloc and the rest of Europe more generally for years now over their resource-control. Didn't they actually get to the point of turning off the tap for a few days/weeks sometime earlier this year or in 2007? Lulz, it's funny. Will never amount to anything, just the Russian bear being cuddly.
yep, that's right. you see, russia cannot cut the gas, because they have to honor their contracts with eu (which are being paid on time) and the pipelines go through ukraine - and they just steal the gas from eu when russia doesn't pump enough. there's been a lot of talk about building another gas (and oil) pipelines going around, buf that's still a long time off and, honestly, russia not really interested in actually turning the tap off, because in doing so they'd lose their last argument in their "agressive negotiatins" with ukraine who'd just get their stuff another way (if somebody would be willing to pay for it, of course, and i guess nato would).
so, nevermind.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard