cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6706|NJ
The bigger threat is when the military comes back, the U.S. armed forces might start occuping our own country..
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6777|UK

jord wrote:

Vilham wrote:

"Invasion isn't the only threat" then please explain what the army is meant to do against these threats.

Sorry but no. Just gunna have to agree to disagree.
Invasion suggests occupation. The extremist threat do not want to occupy but destroy.

And yep, when is anyones mind ever changed in d&st
Again what would an army do to stop this? Any serious threat of destruction comes from a. Nukes which equals MAD, nothing an army can do to stop that b. an invasion, this would require some form of staging to actually get into the US, tactical nuke would destroy any kind of navy transporting such men, vechicles and supplies. c. long range attacks via missles, again nothing a ground based force can do.
jord
+2,382|6688|The North, beyond the wall.

cpt.fass1 wrote:

The bigger threat is when the military comes back, the U.S. armed forces might start occuping our own country..
At first I thought it was alcohol, but now, some sort of other drug, illegal perhaps.
cpt.fass1
+329|6706|NJ

jord wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I'm going to have to say it's a 50/50 on that.. Where as alot of people might be joining the armed forces with the intention of protecting the country, I"m sure a good 50% of them are joining so they might legally kill someone or that they have fuck all else to do..
Or you know, they couldn't take 4 years out of their life to study because their families where struggling and they needed to support them.

Or the other 5000 good reasons.
Well welcome to how our poor economy is..

Why? A large battle tired group comes back from an invasion home to find no jobs or no future, why wouldn't they take military control of the country? What's to stop them here?

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2008-12-22 12:10:04)

jord

cpt.fass1 wrote:

jord wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I'm going to have to say it's a 50/50 on that.. Where as alot of people might be joining the armed forces with the intention of protecting the country, I"m sure a good 50% of them are joining so they might legally kill someone or that they have fuck all else to do..
Or you know, they couldn't take 4 years out of their life to study because their families where struggling and they needed to support them.

Or the other 5000 good reasons.
Well welcome to how our poor economy is..
I wasn't specifically referring to this years economic "crises". Rather that a good number of the military don't come from affluent backgrounds, not that that makes them any less respectable.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6415|North Carolina

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Even as cynical as I am, I don't think there are that many people that are psychopathic.  Now, there are a lot of people who are power-hungry....

Some people who join the military are the same type of people who become cops so that they can have their little power trips.

Still, given the risks of the job, it would seem like most enlisted people are one or a combination of the following...

1) financially desperate
2) genuinely patriotic and altruistic
3) continuing a family tradition
cpt.fass1
+329|6706|NJ
Seriously though, does it not worry anyone else when these troops come back? What do we have in our country to stop a military placement, most of these soldiers who are reservist aren't going to be coming back to the jobs that they had. So seriously what's going to stop it?
Turquoise
O Canada

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Seriously though, does it not worry anyone else when these troops come back? What do we have in our country to stop a military placement, most of these soldiers who are reservist aren't going to be coming back to the jobs that they had. So seriously what's going to stop it?
There are much more profitable ways to employ soldiers.  We'll do what we've always done -- manufacture wars.

Trust me...  there are enough conflicts going on in the world to keep our troops busy.  We might do something about Zimbabwe, for example.
san4
The Mas
+311|6699|NYC, a place to live

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Why? A large battle tired group comes back from an invasion home to find no jobs or no future, why wouldn't they take military control of the country? What's to stop them here?
I think the fact that they are not animals would stop them.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6662|USA

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Ummm yeah cause we all know killing ones family, will stop terrorism.. OH yeah lets see If I were a terrorist, I can attack tanks and people with guns 20 miles away or try to attack civilians that aren't preparred for me..

That's the greatest plan ever, it's got some very large holes in it but hey as long as my family will starve before we get attacked again, I"m happy.

The strong militaries that would walk all over America? Actually please do name a few of those militaries..
There are not any, unless of course we act your attitude and do away with our military to the point that we are weaker than most.
cpt.fass1
+329|6706|NJ
Where as I do agree with you, when the gap in taxes collected finally reaches the troops and they're funding does get cut and we need to pull them back. Then they come back to a jobless economy less country, what then? Seriously it is going that route, next stop military Cou.. What do we have in Iraq 150k reservist? That's a whole lot of army, that's not going to have a job..
Turquoise
O Canada

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Where as I do agree with you, when the gap in taxes collected finally reaches the troops and they're funding does get cut and we need to pull them back. Then they come back to a jobless economy less country, what then? Seriously it is going that route, next stop military Cou.. What do we have in Iraq 150k reservist? That's a whole lot of army, that's not going to have a job..
I'm paranoid, but I'm still not THAT paranoid.  Again, it's all a matter of profitability.  There's no money in turning your own country into a police state.  Now, there is a LOT of money in turning OTHER countries into police states.
cpt.fass1
+329|6706|NJ

lowing wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Ummm yeah cause we all know killing ones family, will stop terrorism.. OH yeah lets see If I were a terrorist, I can attack tanks and people with guns 20 miles away or try to attack civilians that aren't preparred for me..

That's the greatest plan ever, it's got some very large holes in it but hey as long as my family will starve before we get attacked again, I"m happy.

The strong militaries that would walk all over America? Actually please do name a few of those militaries..
There are not any, unless of course we act your attitude and do away with our military to the point that we are weaker than most.
My attitude? I already stated that I'm for a two year manditory service.. In this day and age there is no need for a large standing army, but if we had a minute men based army I think our country would be alright. Then we can hire and fire people for our standing army..
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6662|USA

cpt.fass1 wrote:

lowing wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

My attitude? I already stated that I'm for a two year manditory service.. In this day and age there is no need for a large standing army, but if we had a minute men based army I think our country would be alright. Then we can hire and fire people for our standing army..
2 years huh? I suppose experience, training, leadership, rank, structure, never really plays a part in your military?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6660

lowing wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

lowing wrote:

2 years huh? I suppose experience, training, leadership, rank, structure, never really plays a part in your military?
As with all countries with a draft, you can still make a career out of it and stay on.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6662|USA

ghettoperson wrote:

lowing wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

As with all countries with a draft, you can still make a career out of it and stay on.
gee whiz we already have a military with 3 year hitches, all volunteer and they already come and stay as they please. So what exactly is this 2 year mandatory thing gunna solve?
jord

ghettoperson wrote:

lowing wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

What's with you lately, I'm pretty sure you know for a fact that conscription will not work politically in the west and does not work militarily for anyone. Do you really want pussies that don't want to be there defending your border?
cpt.fass1
+329|6706|NJ

lowing wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Again with modern tech, the only reason to have a large military force is to invade and police a country.. So if we weren't doing that we wouldn't need as large a military force.. But haveing everyone trained would make you guys feel safer against larger countries invading us..
ghettoperson
+1,943|6660

jord wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

lowing wrote:

What's with you lately, I'm pretty sure you know for a fact that conscription will not work politically in the west and does not work militarily for anyone. Do you really want pussies that don't want to be there defending your border?
I never said I supported conscription in anyway at all; I think it's a shitty way to run a military. I was just answering his question.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6118|Birmingham, UK

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Ohhhhh waaaaaaa dude it's a job and that's all it is.. When we can't afford troops anymore should we give up our welfare for these people.. No we shouldn't, it was his choice to serve, like it was my choice to do what I do..
19 grand a year? A job?

Don't think they're cry babies. Our soldiers risk getting their leg(s) and/or arm(s) and/or balls blown off everytime they go out in a jeep.

Soldiers are expertly trained to stay calm under immense pressure and fear, where you would probably faint.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6497|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
Wow, this is just a stupid fucking thread.

1: I don't expect anything to be handed to me because I was in the military

2: I did not join because "I wanted to kill people."

3: When I got back from Iraq I wasn't swept up into a secret group that was going to take control of the country.

4: I also didn't join because I had no other choice, I come from a upper middle class family and could have gone to college right outta high school, But decided not to and serve.

You need to stop reading all these stupid left wing websites. The war and the military are not causing this country to go bankrupt, it is the rampant corruption in our government.
san4
The Mas
+311|6699|NYC, a place to live

SgtHeihn wrote:

3: When I got back from Iraq I wasn't swept up into a secret group that was going to take control of the country.

4: I also didn't join because I had no other choice, I come from a upper middle class family and could have gone to college right outta high school, But decided not to and serve.

You need to stop reading all these stupid left wing websites. The war and the military are not causing this country to go bankrupt, it is the rampant corruption in our government.
This post is obviously part of the secret military plot to take over the country.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6497|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)

san4 wrote:

SgtHeihn wrote:

This post is obviously part of the secret military plot to take over the country.
Oh yeah...

Our first order of business is to round up all zee jews and take them to reeducation camps.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6539|Global Command

SealXo wrote:

that is why

fuck you

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155 … ghanis.jpg

youd probably piss your pants
Jesus, that guy looks more like a private contractor.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6576|England

jord wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

jord wrote:

Soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq are taking the fight to terrorists before they take the fight to us. How many more lives on the British mainland would be lost if it wasn't for our soldiers fighting overseas?
Oh please Jord, don't tell me you're buying into that Bush admin BS.
Nothing to do with Bush but common sense. If you were a cockend insurgent in the ass end of Iraq what would you rather do. Kill some infidels 20 miles away or organise another large scale terrorist attack on the west?
What? London was hit in 2005...2 years after we went into Iraq, and 4 years after we went into Afghanistan. Clearly, the terrorists/insurgents dont think along your lines in all cases. A large scale attack on our society also has a much more damaging affect than "killing soldiers" in their own country, therefore if its pulled off, it is a huge moral victory on their part.
If anything, our soldiers in their lands are not only a recruiting sergeant for terrorists, but provide us a false sense of security if they are fighting "for our freedom" and putting up the so-called front line.

How many terrorist attacks have been carried out (and succeeded) since we went in with the Coalition, by ME-associated groups?
How many terrorist attacks have been carried out (and succeeded) before we went in with the Coalition, by ME-associated groups?

Prior to 7/7, the last attack was by the IRA in 2001. That's how long ago it was. Every attack since has been by ME-groups. The UK didn't have a problem with these "cockend insurgents in the ass end of Iraq" until we went in. That stirred it up, and had we not been involved in (arguably) either Afghanistan or Iraq, the last Terrorist attack on the UK would have been in 2001, by the IRA.

Don't delude yourself.

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Seriously why should we? I've grown up being told that "our troops" are over sea's fighting for our freedoms and blah blah blah.. But really are they?
Yes, and no. 9/11 happened, then we invaded. Read into that how you want, but quite frankly, staying away from all ME countries in every way, shape, and form, would give them no reason to attack in the first place (they obviously have reasons). Us being there, gives them reason. Just like the French Resistance during WW2, people will fight against an invasive force, no matter how insignificant or significant their attacks are.

I support our troops no matter what, like you should, however, you should question the reasons why they are there, not the force itself.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard