usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

"Torti was a passenger in a car that was following behind the vehicle and stopped after the crash. Torti said when she came across the wreck she feared the car was going to explode and pulled Van Horn out. Van Horn testified that Torti pulled her out of the wreckage "like a rag doll." Van Horn blamed her friend for her paralysis."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081218/ap_ … protection

-------------------------

You see, this is why people don't help other people.  And when I saw the story, I said to myself it had to be California.  So, I was not shcoked to see that is exactly where it happened.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6481|Gogledd Cymru

California

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6214|Escea

Man talk about ungrateful.
rdx-fx
+955|6583
Fark really should have a "Califoria" tag.

There's  the simple "well, DUH" factor of Florida.

Then there's the willfully insane bullshit that can only come from California.
Reciprocity
+721|6572|the dank(super) side of Oregon
Should have let her die. but then the cunt's family would sue her for not doing enough.

Never help anyone, you're only exposing your weakness.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6620|IRELAND

California is the craziest place Ive ever been.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA
God Bless America!!
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6632|Your moms bedroom
fuck it, send her the money in a card that says "have fun being a vedge, you ungrateful cunt"

The newsclip with pics

Last edited by Locoloki (2008-12-20 15:04:43)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA
It is not that she is ungrateful. She belong to a society that, more and more believes that they are entitled to a big pay out whenever something bad happens to them. It is almost natural in America to assume that if something happens to you, you get to sue ANYBODY and finally get your entitlement. It sure as fuck beats working for it.
The#1Spot
+105|6531|byah
It does not say that the person in the car did not want to be assisted in the car crash. Also I bet there would have been at least punching, yelling or scratching to signify that the person did not wanted to be assisted.
HollisHurlbut
+51|5989
Unfortunately, I can't find the text of California's Good Samaritan statute to compare it with my own state's version, due to the flood of stories about this ruling.  I know my own state's law not only immunizes you from liability but also obligates you to take action commensurate with your ability to do so.  (For example, a wheelchair-bound driver who witnesses a severe auto accident must only call for help, but a capable paramedic who witnessees the same accident must use his training to help.  If he simply called an ambulance like the wheelie, he'd be criminally liable.  However, if the wheelie wheeled on over to the scene and performed an emergency tracheotomy with a Bic pen, he wouldn't be covered because he's operating outside the bounds of his own ability to provide competent care.)  If California's statute is similarly worded, this ruling puts anyone in California into a trick bag where they have to walk the thin line between criminal liability for not helping or civil liability for not doing everything just right when they do help.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6510|Montucky

HollisHurlbut wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't find the text of California's Good Samaritan statute to compare it with my own state's version, due to the flood of stories about this ruling.  I know my own state's law not only immunizes you from liability but also obligates you to take action commensurate with your ability to do so.  (For example, a wheelchair-bound driver who witnesses a severe auto accident must only call for help, but a capable paramedic who witnessees the same accident must use his training to help.  If he simply called an ambulance like the wheelie, he'd be criminally liable.  However, if the wheelie wheeled on over to the scene and performed an emergency tracheotomy with a Bic pen, he wouldn't be covered because he's operating outside the bounds of his own ability to provide competent care.)  If California's statute is similarly worded, this ruling puts anyone in California into a trick bag where they have to walk the thin line between criminal liability for not helping or civil liability for not doing everything just right when they do help.
Montana has the same laws.

However, I am trained in rapid extrication as most other EMTs and Firefighters.. Basicly All you do is put a C-Collar on and pull them the fuck out.

and yes I do have a "jump" kit in my truck since I'm certified by the state of Montana to practice emergency medicine.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Just think marine, you will be a hop, skip and a jump away from us in a little bit.  Be prepared to interact with Californians every weekend in Vegas.  You will be able to tell us by our orange skin and immaculate features.

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2008-12-20 21:04:06)

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6708
how pathetic is that... wow... I don't know anything more that what i have read about this situation... but what an ungrateful person the accident victim is...  Should she/he have let her lay there and possibly blow up and die by being burned alive...?
Love is the answer
HollisHurlbut
+51|5989

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

how pathetic is that...
I don't know how "pathetic" it actually is, and neither does anyone else who hasn't read the specific statute at issue.  If this ruling abides by the statute, then it's not pathetic at all, at least as far as the court's opinion is concerned and the blame should fall at the feet of the California Assembly for being stupid when constructing the statute in the first place.

edit: And let's not forget the court didn't decide the responder was liable for the injuries, it simply said the question at hand was one that can properly go before a jury for a trial.

Last edited by HollisHurlbut (2008-12-20 22:04:23)

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6708
the asshat who is suing the person that tried to save her is pathetic...

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2008-12-20 22:47:35)

Love is the answer
HollisHurlbut
+51|5989

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

the asshat who is suing the person that tried to save her is pathetic...
Truth of encyclopedic quality.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina

Locoloki wrote:

fuck it, send her the money in a card that says "have fun being a vedge, you ungrateful cunt"
Sounds like a plan... 
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6315|New Haven, CT
This reminds me of 'The Incredibles', sadly.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

S3v3N wrote:

HollisHurlbut wrote:

However, I am trained in rapid extrication as most other EMTs and Firefighters.. Basicly All you do is put a C-Collar on and pull them the fuck out.

and yes I do have a "jump" kit in my truck since I'm certified by the state of Montana to practice emergency medicine.
Are you legally obligated to render aid?
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6382

In Australia, we don't have to help, unless we have first aid training (I think), and then you're open to being sued, unless you make a detailed record of everything you did in compliance with training and have person sign it.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6557|England

lowing wrote:

It is not that she is ungrateful. She belong to a society that, more and more believes that they are entitled to a big pay out whenever something bad happens to them. It is almost natural in America to assume that if something happens to you, you get to sue ANYBODY and finally get your entitlement. It sure as fuck beats working for it.
That certainly is a common perception of America over here, and this diabolical story only adds to it.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Snake wrote:

lowing wrote:

That certainly is a common perception of America over here, and this diabolical story only adds to it.
Go with that perception, it is the truth.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

lowing wrote:

Snake wrote:

lowing wrote:

Go with that perception, it is the truth.
don't worry, obama will make it better.
imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX

S3v3N wrote:

HollisHurlbut wrote:

The problem is that many people are not trained, and many people in the public see the 'smoke' from the airbag deployment, and think that the car is on fire, and (thanks to holleywood) is about to explode.

I am an EMT as well, and by Texas law, if I am on duty as an EMT, I am required to stop and render aid within my scope of care.  As long as I act within my scope of care, I am protected from lawsuit. I do not agree with this law, even though untrained passerbys may have the potential to cause more harm, it is just as likely that they will be able to provide SOME level of care much, much faster than emergency responders can get on scene.  Sometimes, that time matters.  Besides, I do not like the idea where someone has to stop to consider the possibility of a lawsuit before they try to help somoene.

What is next? Will you force the victim to sign a waver to their right to sue for unintended concequences prior to ayone trying to render aid or assistance?  Should se start wearing "Save Me!" bracelets?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard