liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
CPU: Intel Q8200 (not OC'd of course)
Mobo: EP43-DS3
RAM: G-Skill 2x2GB 1066MHZ 5-5-5-15
GPU: Palit ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB
HDD: Samsung 750GB 7200RPM 32MB cache
Case: NZTX Tempest
PSU: Gigabyte 720W (can't remember exact model)

I was gonna get it assembled at the shop, but my brother said "no, I'll do it", so meh.

And guess what?

First thing: Thing starts up fine (like, all the fans come on etc. etc.) but nothing shows up on monitor - it just sits at standby (standby, not 'no signal') We try it again a few times, reseat GPU, different monitor, same result.

I then go to POST test it, I turn it on again, and... a tiny flash of light and a puff of smoke from somewhere on the Mobo. Thing shuts down. Turn it on again: everything works as before, except the CPU fan isn't turning - at all. Mobo seems undamaged.

Gonna take it back tomorrow, get new parts and get the shop to assemble. Kinda annoying, though.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
CrazeD
+368|6666|Maine
Mobo is dead.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6560|NYC / Hamburg

sounds like something shorted out and later broke
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6709
ouch... rma... could be bad moboard?   or something was connected incorrectly or loose?
Love is the answer
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

ouch... rma... could be bad moboard?   or something was connected incorrectly or loose?
I'm thinking bad connection, yeah.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6407|Finland

this is why you don't assemble PCs if you don't know what you are doing...
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
That's... what I told him.

~ Richard Feynman
CrazeD
+368|6666|Maine
Well you're the one that let him, it's your fault tbh.
baggs
+732|6197
You aren't the first person to have a component blow up within five minutes of using it and you won't be the last, i wouldn't be so quick to blame anything other than the parts first. Of course, the last time my mate blew something up he said he knew what he was doing, alas i found that he screwed the mobo direct to the chassis...no spacers...at a cost of 3 PSU's.
BlackKoala
+215|6318
Check to make sure he used the spacers between the board and mobo tray...
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6803|NÃ¥rvei

One should be suspicious when the guy saying he can do it doesn't use the installation manual that comes with the mobo ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6190|Winland

Varegg wrote:

One should be suspicious when the guy saying he can do it doesn't use the installation manual that comes with the mobo ...
I haven't used a mobo manual for years.

It does seem this guy should have.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
prototype
+52|6304
best to buy all the components and then take it to a puter shop and pay them 50 bucks to assemble it

that way if they break it you are covered
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
It turns out that he didn't know about the second power connector on the CPU. Guy at the shop put it in, and it works.

EDIT: In fact the CPU fan shorted out, hence the flash and smoke. Easily fixed, though.

Last edited by Spark (2008-12-15 19:40:10)

~ Richard Feynman
CrazeD
+368|6666|Maine
How did you manage to short out the cpu fan?
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6709

Spark wrote:

It turns out that he didn't know about the second power connector on the CPU. Guy at the shop put it in, and it works.

EDIT: In fact the CPU fan shorted out, hence the flash and smoke. Easily fixed, though.
that was a stroke of luck... nice that it was just a fan getting zapped...  glad it's working now...
Love is the answer
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5897|CA
I had a similar issue when installing my new PSU, I forgot about the CPU power plug because it was hidden, I spent an hour pulling my hair out, reseating all the components, seeing the CPU and CPU wasn't doing anything...starting to shit bricks thinking I was out of a computer.

and then, I lol'd. 
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
Yeah, he wasn't particularly pleased with himself when he found out.

Because while my parents forked out the money for the comp, he had to pay for the new fan out of his own pocket
~ Richard Feynman
CrazeD
+368|6666|Maine
I still want to know how you managed to short out the fan.
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6106|SC | USA |

jamiet757 wrote:

if you see a small flash of light and a puff of smoke coming from your motherboard, why the hell would you turn it on again? Probably fried the rest of your hardware too.
Fail post is fail
Brasso
+1,549|6623

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Varegg wrote:

I haven't used a mobo manual for years.
I use it for the mobo header connectors.  Those things are too.  Fucking.  Small.

edit: and yeah, how could the fan have "shorted" out if it wasn't connected to anything?

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-12-16 19:14:25)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

jamiet757 wrote:

if you see a small flash of light and a puff of smoke coming from your motherboard, why the hell would you turn it on again? Probably fried the rest of your hardware too.
Fail post is fail
Indeed, I'm using it now
~ Richard Feynman
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6432|Brisbane, Australia

Yay! Sparky can come gaem with us again.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6383

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

What gaem though?
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6432|Brisbane, Australia

some_random_panda wrote:

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

What gaem though?
Idk, what does Spark play apart from eve?

None of us really have a communal game anymore.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard