jord
+2,382|6694|The North, beyond the wall.

Turquoise wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Isn't Cromwell the same guy who basically murdered a bunch of Irish people?
Yes but he's actually seen as quite the reformer and a decent chappy, by and large... depending on your political stance and class...

His reformation and Interregnum rule can be criticized in the same way the Founding Fathers and their establishment of the USA can be criticized- some people had to die somewhere!
I would doubt he's seen so positively by the Irish.
He changed the world, someone's got to hate him.
mikkel
+383|6617
Didn't this kid attack a police patrol with firebombs?
Delusion
AK Hero
+26|5788|Greece / Rhodos

mikkel wrote:

noo...dont believe that crap people who have no clue are saying...the kid was shot down before the whole mess started
mikkel
+383|6617

Delusion wrote:

mikkel wrote:

noo...dont believe that crap people who have no clue are saying...the kid was shot down before the whole mess started
Knowing the crowd he supposedly belonged to, I'm not terribly inclined to believe their side of the story outright.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6535|Πάϊ
I'll take the word of men over pigs any day.
ƒ³
mikkel
+383|6617

oug wrote:

Idiots are everywhere. Not just in police departments. If you start disliking and distrusting law enforcement as a rule, then corruption within it turns from being outrageous to being expected, and that's more damaging to society than any corrupt officer.

Last edited by mikkel (2008-12-12 12:48:09)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6778

oug wrote:

lol...wow.

and gj.  7 days and still acting like idiots.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6146|Carnoustie MASSIF
My first input into this argument.

I think people have the right to express their anger/hatred for something like this. But they need to channel the aggression in the correct manner. You can't just go kick off a riot just 'cause of what happened to a kid.

No disrespect to oug in any way, shape, or form here, but did you see people rioting when De Menezes was killed in London? People didn't riot, and cause pandemonium on the streets. Maybe it's just the way that the societies are.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6665
It's hitting the news because believe it or not Greek is a unstable political bomb at the moment. The amount of violent rioting that take place simply shows the problems the government are facing which were covered up before because of their economic growth...

European libral shit again
and that's the problem...is Greece really that "libral" at the moment?

Last edited by ..teddy..jimmy (2008-12-12 15:49:24)

..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6665

SirSchloppy wrote:

I think people have the right to express their anger/hatred for something like this. But they need to channel the aggression in the correct manner. You can't just go kick off a riot just 'cause of what happened to a kid.
...and that just shows how much you know of what's going on over there. It's been a ticking bomb over just waiting to explode.

Riots are occasionally quite positive as they send a royal kick up governmental asses that should initiate somekind of change. If not they're simply idiots.

Last edited by ..teddy..jimmy (2008-12-12 15:46:18)

oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6535|Πάϊ

usmarine wrote:

and gj.  7 days and still acting like idiots.
I guess protesting never achieved anything in your book eh. Haymarket square mean anything? Bloody Sunday? Guess not.

Glad I made it to your exclusive list btw. First you make your comment and then pretend to ignore the answer. Well, I guess that's a good strategy when you lack arguments. If nothing else it's a sign of maturity and wisdom.
ƒ³
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6535|Πάϊ

SirSchloppy wrote:

My first input into this argument.

No disrespect to oug in any way, shape, or form here, but did you see people rioting when De Menezes was killed in London? People didn't riot, and cause pandemonium on the streets. Maybe it's just the way that the societies are.
Couldn't agree more. But when the mob is angered, some bad things are bound to happen along with the good. It's just the way things are.

As for the De Menezes incident, no disrespect either mate, but maybe there should be a bit of rioting there as well. Just to make a point that mindless decisions like that will not be tolerated.

For the record though, I must note that there have been similar incidents in the past, which were not followed by riots etc. This time it just so happened that this shooting was the cherry on the cake for the government's fuck ups. This goes way deeper than it seems at first. Yet allow me to disagree with teddy about the ticking bomb thing... Sadly imo we're too used to useless and corrupt politicians to actually do anything about it. By the time the elections come it will just be the usual two party race that has led us here to begin with.
ƒ³
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6421|North Carolina

mikkel wrote:

oug wrote:

Idiots are everywhere. Not just in police departments. If you start disliking and distrusting law enforcement as a rule, then corruption within it turns from being outrageous to being expected, and that's more damaging to society than any corrupt officer.
Indeed...  look at how rampant corruption is the norm for Illinois politicians.  People just expect their governors to be assholes.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6421|North Carolina

jord wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Yes but he's actually seen as quite the reformer and a decent chappy, by and large... depending on your political stance and class...

His reformation and Interregnum rule can be criticized in the same way the Founding Fathers and their establishment of the USA can be criticized- some people had to die somewhere!
True...  but I don't think he changed it for the better.
jord

Turquoise wrote:

jord wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

True...  but I don't think he changed it for the better.
He was a normal farmer that rose to become commander of the military and lord Protector of England. Overthrowing one of the strongest thrones in the world. I woulda thought all you Americans would have loved a drama like that...

It depends where you come from, if you're Irish you probably hate him. If you're an American with a tiny but of Irish blood and insistent on getting into every Irish debate like it was your own background, and believe me I've met many in this category, then you hate him.

Cromwell has been a very controversial figure in the history of the British Isles – a regicidal dictator to some historians (such as David Hume and Christopher Hill) and a hero of liberty to others (such as Thomas Carlyle and Samuel Rawson Gardiner). In Britain he was elected as one of the Top 10 Britons of all time in a 2002 BBC poll.[1] His measures against Irish Catholics have been characterized by some historians as genocidal or near-genocidal,[2] and in Ireland itself he is widely hated.
elected one of the top Britons of all time, so obviously someone, somewhere will hate such a loved person by his own people. It's natural. Which important figure isn't hated by someone? Hell I bet thousands hate Gandhi...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6122|eXtreme to the maX

Oug wrote:

As for the De Menezes incident, no disrespect either mate, but maybe there should be a bit of rioting there as well. Just to make a point that mindless decisions like that will not be tolerated.
Thats not how we do it TBH, must be the mediterranean water or something.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6663
organized resistence > rioting

Rioting = "I'm so mad that I could just loot and vandalize shit!"
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6169|what

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

organized resistence > rioting

Rioting = "I'm so mad that I could just loot and vandalize shit!"
The police would consider this organized resistance though. It just takes a few text messages and you have people turn up to riot over a boys death en masse.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6667|USA

Uzique wrote:

Pretty sure it's a troll.

Either that or this guy is seriously criticising public outcry against gun-use and bad policing... I guess in America that level of shittiness is the status quo. You say "European libral shit", I call it true democracy being practiced in the place that invented the concept.
Yup, because there is nothing like protesting violence by engaging in a good old fashion riot. Typical liberal hypocrisy
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6169|what

lowing wrote:

Yup, because there is nothing like protesting violence by engaging in a good old fashion riot. Typical liberal hypocrisy
How would you deal with a police force that is over excessive in force? What's the conservative way?
mikkel
+383|6617

TheAussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

How would you deal with a police force that is over excessive in force? What's the conservative way?
In a civil manner. These kids antagonise officers verbally and with violent attacks, and cry abuse as soon as the officers react to it. They deserve no sympathy.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6667|USA

TheAussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

Oh I dunno, investigate, and if a case can be built, arrest the officer and try him....But no, protesting violence by throwing a riot is a much nobler way. It shows a passion for peace and a williness to beat yuor brains in for it.
jord

mikkel wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

In a civil manner. These kids antagonise officers verbally and with violent attacks, and cry abuse as soon as the officers react to it. They deserve no sympathy.
Correct, when Police are attacked in a riot they deserve nothing other than a good beating.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6169|what

lowing wrote:

Oh I dunno, investigate, and if a case can be built, arrest the officer and try him....But no, protesting violence by throwing a riot is a much nobler way. It shows a passion for peace and a williness to beat yuor brains in for it.
The violence in Greece has been sparked by on going anti-police sentiment, and this shooting has just been the boiling point. It's not a protest over violence, if you believe that you don't understand why they are rioting at all. If "protesting violence by rioting" are the goggles you choose to view this with than fine, but your ignoring the cause for the whole thing.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6667|USA

TheAussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

The violence in Greece has been sparked by on going anti-police sentiment, and this shooting has just been the boiling point. It's not a protest over violence, if you believe that you don't understand why they are rioting at all. If "protesting violence by rioting" are the goggles you choose to view this with than fine, but your ignoring the cause for the whole thing.
Police brutality? Isn't that violence? If you think a govt. is going to stand by and let you riot without taking action in the form of more violence, then your goggles are thicker than mine.

This kid was attacking a police car and.............."Greece has a tradition of violence at student rallies and fire bomb attacks by anarchist groups, which have heightened tensions with police."

taken from http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/ … me=topNews

enough said

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard