uziq
+492|3451
from now on you are obliged to modify the genre tags to make reference to my elevator music that gets me incredibly well laid. ty. i didn’t just write all that for nothing.
Larssen
+99|1886
You can keep your groupie pussy. Or should I say grouper in case of your gf

ooooo

Last edited by Larssen (2020-12-17 12:45:25)

uziq
+492|3451
i don’t have a gf so i’m not sure to whom you’re referring.
Larssen
+99|1886
No croatia honeymoon 4 u I suppose

uziq wrote:

unlucky for u, bitch, i'm taking my honeymoon in croatia and after i tie to the knot to my beauitiful big lipped bounteous wife, i'm coming to zeebrugge to kick your a ss
uziq
+492|3451
it was a reference to jay making tough guy internet threats, you moron. he said he going to beat me up on his european honeymoon.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America
I started working out during quarantine as an excuse to listen to my podcasts in the absence of a commute, and even so, my backlog is growing. I can't really listen to them while playing most games because I'm not giving it enough attention, though.

If I'm running, I have to do some lively music to put a pep in my step, cause I also can't pay attention to a podcast at that level.

Last edited by DesertFox- (2020-12-17 13:40:19)

uziq
+492|3451
interesting how different we are.

all of my medium-distance jogging routes tend to involve a good 2-3km of uphill to start, i’m climbing from the get-go, so running to an uptempo house track or something just wears me out fast. podcasts help me settle into that ‘focus’ zen zone where i’m not even aware of my movement.
DesertFox-
About what pace do you go at? I want to improve endurance (which is a bit pointless since I have no desire to do any races or anything), so if I feel up to it, it's not exactly leisurely. I have taken to doing more walking a few miles regularly, as well, which is more relaxed and allows me to listen if I don't have to concentrate on my breathing and such.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
I usually jogged at my own pace, choosing time jogged over other metrics. I'd throw in a fast day or two but largely just jogged to keep some cardio and get to the zen zone that uzi mentioned. A lazy 12min mile became a lazy 9min mile decently quick, like in 2 months. Been a while since I jogged though.

Last edited by RTHKI (2020-12-17 14:37:23)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
DesertFox-
I've been going on and off for like 15 years since I started running track in schooland then failed miserably at keeping at it in the off-season, with that following even afterwards because I'd run in the afternoons and that always fell off in hot-as-balls summer. The one plus side seemed to be it's nowhere near as difficult to get back on track after 6 months of lazing about instead of 10 years. In all that time, this zen zone has eluded me, though. Same with runner's high. It's some bullshit.
uziq
+492|3451
i don’t want to over talk the zen stuff. i just mean to say when you settle into a rhythm so that you’re not worrying about pacing or developing some bullshit cramp or stitch. that sort of pace where you can just mentally switch off and eat up the km’s. obviously not pushing it. i don’t run for strava records or speed or anything. i actually basically structure my runs around 30 min
or 60 min podcasts. the thinking space and time out is almost more important than the running.
DesertFox-
I didn't mean to insinuate it's new-age gobbledygook if that's how it was interpreted. I meant that I'm annoyed that I don't seem to get such a thing. I'm quite cognizant of things the whole time, which might by why I find it difficult to ponder during that time.

I have also noticed that a ~60 minute podcast at 1.1/1.2x will last me 5k for a walk. It's very convenient.
lil_droo
+19|1494
too much cardio is pretty shit. spikes the hell out of your cortisol and is generally not good for everything in your body, hormones and breaks down tissue and hard on your bones etc. best thing is long walks/hikes and maybe throw in a little jog or sprint but don't overdo it. walking is also way more relaxing and gives you time to think or listen to shit since you're not stressing out your body

same thing with people that go heavy in the gym. just cause they're "jacked" doesn't mean they have good health. best to do functional stuff and calisthetics maybe but once again don't overdo it

Last edited by lil_droo (2020-12-17 18:38:04)

gang shit
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
People going heavy also probably use roids and will have back issues by the time they're 38 and have blood pressure so high you don't know how they're alive
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
uziq
+492|3451

lil_droo wrote:

too much cardio is pretty shit. spikes the hell out of your cortisol and is generally not good for everything in your body, hormones and breaks down tissue and hard on your bones etc. best thing is long walks/hikes and maybe throw in a little jog or sprint but don't overdo it. walking is also way more relaxing and gives you time to think or listen to shit since you're not stressing out your body

same thing with people that go heavy in the gym. just cause they're "jacked" doesn't mean they have good health. best to do functional stuff and calisthetics maybe but once again don't overdo it
considering our sedentary lifestyles, and the fact most people sit on their arse all day consuming sugars and carbs, or smoking and drinking and vaping, trust me, a little cortisol and epinephrine aren’t going to kill you.

it’s better to take cardio exercise a few times a week than to not do it at all. don’t kid yourself that you’re better off avoiding it. if you run on a track or grass or woodland or whatever you’re not going to grind your knees or joints into mush doing 5km a few times a week. it’s overwhelmingly good for you and your general wellness.  we’re not talking doing 4 marathons every year for a decade, here. it’s basic fitness.

people who worry about losing muscle mass due to cardio are probably jacked on roids and shitty supplements. i’d rather have good cardio, good blood pressure, good core strength and balance etc than look like a brown condom stuffed with walnuts, to paraphrase clive james. cocaine is a much, much funner way to make your heart explode at 45 than injecting anabolics and avoiding running.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-17 23:31:06)

Larssen
+99|1886
Most effective/safe , esp.if you have joint pains or lift weights a lot is cycling.

I hate both but cycling is a little more fun than running.
uziq
+492|3451
swimming, surely? cycling can give you joint problems too.
Larssen
+99|1886
If it's only swimming, sure. But if you lift weights swimming is a lot more taxing on tendons and muscles, it requires quite a bit of exertion and strength too, of course depending on how you swim.

Cycling can be problematic too, sure, but it's less taxing than running, definitely assuming you don't go ham and cycle like a tour de france competitor.
uziq
+492|3451
yep, no question, but can be poorer exercise as a result.

i mountainbiked a lot as a teenager and the health hazards were evident enough. i had friends lose all their front teeth in handlebar blowouts, lots of broken limbs, cracked heads (i have a scar on my eyebrow from it), etc.

and the lycra warriors who take to the road to eat up 50km every weekend just develop terrible knee and shin pain. it's a pretty asymmetrical workout.
lil_droo
+19|1494

uziq wrote:

lil_droo wrote:

considering our sedentary lifestyles, and the fact most people sit on their arse all day consuming sugars and carbs, or smoking and drinking and vaping, trust me, a little cortisol and epinephrine aren’t going to kill you.

it’s better to take cardio exercise a few times a week than to not do it at all. don’t kid yourself that you’re better off avoiding it. if you run on a track or grass or woodland or whatever you’re not going to grind your knees or joints into mush doing 5km a few times a week. it’s overwhelmingly good for you and your general wellness.  we’re not talking doing 4 marathons every year for a decade, here. it’s basic fitness.

people who worry about losing muscle mass due to cardio are probably jacked on roids and shitty supplements. i’d rather have good cardio, good blood pressure, good core strength and balance etc than look like a brown condom stuffed with walnuts, to paraphrase clive james. cocaine is a much, much funner way to make your heart explode at 45 than injecting anabolics and avoiding running.
well ppl already have high cortisol specifically due to those things. bad sleep, stress, coffee first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, technology, drugs/medications, erratic work schedules, etc. but yeah i agree with u i was basically preaching moderation, so a few times a week and not running to exhaustion etc is best like youre saying. but yeah marathons are extremely retarded. i dont think marathon runners claim to be healthy though they are just competitive. its certaintly not healthy running a marathon
gang shit
uziq
+492|3451
i think it's a good physical feat and shows that you've got your body into a certain level of finesse and discipline. marathons can be a good thing to do. serial marathon runners, for all their eventual health complaints, are definitely healthier than your average schlub who drives to taco bell 3 times a week.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
From what I vaguely recall from my time at Loughborough 30 minutes is about the ideal workout, gains beyond that are marginal and anything beyond 60 minutes is just burning calories.
Marathons are obviously a challenge to aim for but they aren't good for you.

And as someone who was dumb enough to be a test subject for a sports-science project I'd say the average person has no clue what a proper workout is, not if you want to be an elite athlete or even make moderate fitness gains at any rate.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-12-18 23:54:25)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3451
erm, well, obviously. the idea is to get everyone to be basically active in very inactive lifestyles, not to be elite athletes.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
Added moderate fitness gains after your post.

Most people going to the gym or jogging are achieving very little apart from risking injury.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3451
well, i don’t know about ‘most’, a lot of people do go to running stores or have personal trainers to at least get a vague clue about correct posture, form, safe training etc.

but yep, you’re right, especially when it comes to recent crazes like crossfit, a lot of people are throwing themselves into poor workouts or tossing tractor tires or whatever the fuck and training nothing but a rotator cuff injury.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard