SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6802|Perth, Western Australia

Defiance wrote:

SharkyMcshark wrote:

Yeah right...

That and GTA has traditionally had a time lapse between release on console and PC, which can lead to a lower graphics score (for reviewers that give out separate scores), especially when its considered that the PC is generally taken to the utting edge for graphics.
I wouldn't listen to a review that makes a big deal out of year-old graphics. If anything, that only makes it more accessible.
No one is saying gameplay < graphics, but the lapse and thus relative lack of polish is a reasonable point to make against it when scoring it.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6487
This game currently performs terribly even on Intel i7 / DDR3 / SLI machines.

Shame

It's basically the next Crysis, a game that advertises itself with awesome graphics and far-superior draw distances for PC over console, but then only allows you to actually play the game at 30fps+ on medium settings with low resolution. The GTA4 Forums I have visited are full of complaints and dissatisfaction, along with many many many cries for performance-tweaking patches and improved SLI support.

Guess it'll be a slow burner! May consider buying it for PC in a few years when the technology has stepped up
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
_raab
+28|6250|Western Aust.
Just spent all afternoon acquiring service pack 1 for vista, installing it, installing gta 4 and then realizing it's fucked. Re-installing now, and hoping it's gonna work.

Anyone else having troubles?
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6360
I jsut hope it has etter weapon sounds than san andreas. Those were terrible. Shooting peas with a slingshot sounded more impressive than the uzi or ak.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6860|Reykjavík, Iceland.

Sisco10 wrote:

I jsut hope it has etter weapon sounds than san andreas. Those were terrible. Shooting peas with a slingshot sounded more impressive than the uzi or ak.
PC version = replace any sound you like.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6360

Sydney wrote:

Sisco10 wrote:

PC version = replace any sound you like.
Yeah, I tried that with San Andreas but never fiddled it out. I googled countless times but nothing. It´s not that big a deal anyway, just something I got hung up on after playing it for several hours.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6569|Scotland
On the Rockstar website this is found for this game.

"THE GRAPHIC SETTINGS OF GRAND THEFT AUTO IV PC

Most users using current PC hardware as of December 2008 are advised to use medium graphics settings. Higher settings are provided for future generations of PCs with higher specifications than are currently widely available."
Sydney
2λчиэλ

White-Fusion wrote:

Most users using current PC hardware as of December 2008 are advised to use medium graphics settings. Higher settings are provided for future generations of PCs with higher specifications than are currently widely available."
Holy fuck

It's actually trying to be Crysis!
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6569|Scotland

Sydney wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Holy fuck

It's just silly. They could have made this run max settings on today's computers. Why must they do shit like this, people aren't going to run out and buy the latest tech to play this game, stupid Rockstar, there better be a patch or hotfix in the next week.
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6452
Or they could make it look great today and even better tomorrow. Why get angry because you can't run it maxed? Just run it medium/low like everyone else. The requirements aren't unreasonable and neither is the idea that they've made the graphics future proof.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6569|Scotland

Fat_Swinub wrote:

Or they could make it look great today and even better tomorrow. Why get angry because you can't run it maxed? Just run it medium/low like everyone else. The requirements aren't unreasonable and neither is the idea that they've made the graphics future proof.
I'm not angry, but even with a 4870 card and E6850 it still looks a bit meh. Console version looks better right now.
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6452
I've heard ATI cards suffer with this game. That might be your problem.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6487
All cards suffer with this problem.

Intel Core i7
4Gb DDR3 RAM
Nvidia 280GTX SLI w/ latest Nforce ware.

Average FPS in 1680x1050 benchmark on Med-High settings: 35.8fps.

Fuck. That.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6452
It also suffers with SLI AFIAK.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6487
SLI has zero optimization/support, yes.

Which is slightly ironic considering how "future proofed" and 'intended for future technology' their game is .

I understand that the open-world rendering and the complex physics engine are extremely demanding, but should they demand more than Crysis at any one point? I'm not so sure; much of the world/cars are pre-generated and really it's all just bad optimization. The list of bugs for this game is innumerable at present, what with the Rockstar Social Club integration and the installation/DRM problems... let alone the actual graphical and gameplay issues. I have high hopes for this game because GTA are a great series of PC sandbox games, but this one by far has the biggest teething problems! I should not expect to lag and have worse-than-console quality gameplay on a system nearly 10x the cost of a console!
jord
+2,382|6695|The North, beyond the wall.
By the way complete it twice and you wont play it again...
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6671

What a shame. I was looking forward to getting this game since I don't yet have a PS3, but looks like I'll just get the PS3 version later once I do get a PS3.

Oh well, I guess in 3 or 4 years I'll have a decent enough PC to play this on PC, and the game will be $20 then anyway, so it'll be worth it I suppose (did the same for San Andreas).
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6487

jord wrote:

By the way complete it twice and you wont play it again...
I've already completed it on Xbox360, I have no intention of playing the Story mode any more than I have to on PC...

Purchased it simply for some fun sandbox gameplay, and to mess around with the movie editor.
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6452

Uzique wrote:

SLI has zero optimization/support, yes.

Which is slightly ironic considering how "future proofed" and 'intended for future technology' their game is .

I understand that the open-world rendering and the complex physics engine are extremely demanding, but should they demand more than Crysis at any one point? I'm not so sure; much of the world/cars are pre-generated and really it's all just bad optimization. The list of bugs for this game is innumerable at present, what with the Rockstar Social Club integration and the installation/DRM problems... let alone the actual graphical and gameplay issues. I have high hopes for this game because GTA are a great series of PC sandbox games, but this one by far has the biggest teething problems! I should not expect to lag and have worse-than-console quality gameplay on a system nearly 10x the cost of a console!
Yeah I agree it's 2008 not 2005 they should pick up on the SLI stuff. If they can get their head around coding for a PS3 they can do something like that. What's wrong with the DRM? Standard SecuROM with unlimited installs over unlimited machines and one online activation. I think the consoles run at the PC's low quality anyway so even on medium, you'll be getting a graphical quality than the consoles.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6409|Southern California

White-Fusion wrote:

Sydney wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Holy fuck

It's just silly. They could have made this run max settings on today's computers. Why must they do shit like this, people aren't going to run out and buy the latest tech to play this game, stupid Rockstar, there better be a patch or hotfix in the next week.
who cares what the name of the settings level you play it on is called.

Worry only about how good it looks on a certain level of hardware.

Its the same deal with crysis. If the graphics weren't so hyped for that game, and the highest level possible for it was medium it would still look as good as most modern games. Crysis on medium looks about the same to me as Far Cry 2 on very high. Yet because people can't run it on its highest setting they complain.
Sydney
2λчиэλ

VicktorVauhn wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Sydney wrote:

Holy fuck

who cares what the name of the settings level you play it on is called.

Worry only about how good it looks on a certain level of hardware.

Its the same deal with crysis. If the graphics weren't so hyped for that game, and the highest level possible for it was medium it would still look as good as most modern games. Crysis on medium looks about the same to me as Far Cry 2 on very high. Yet because people can't run it on its highest setting they complain.
QFT.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6554|Long Island, New York
Does anyone know if the "Lost and the Damned" DLC is coming for the PC too? I mean, it IS run on Games for Windows..

I can either get the 360 version used and get the DLC (which apparentely substantial) or pick it up on Steam (and get the video editor, mods, etc). Dunno what to do.

Last edited by Poseidon (2008-12-06 14:48:20)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6759|FUCK UBISOFT

Poseidon wrote:

Does anyone know if the "Lost and the Damned" DLC is coming for the PC too? I mean, it IS run on Games for Windows..

I can either get the 360 version used and get the DLC (which apparentely substantial) or pick it up on Steam (and get the video editor, mods, etc). Dunno what to do.
is there really any point to getting the 360 version when you already have the ps3 version?

I would expect PC gets all the DLC, not to mention mods.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Stimey
­
+786|6137|Ontario | Canada
I actually recall that the DLC was 360 only.
I'm probably wrong, Ill see If I can get a source.
­
­
­
­
­
­
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6759|FUCK UBISOFT

Stimey wrote:

I actually recall that the DLC was 360 only.
I'm probably wrong, Ill see If I can get a source.
I think that was temporary, the 360 got all the DLC first.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard