Husker~ifh~
Beer Consumption Expert
+25|6743|Beerville, USA
First I have read numerous post about upgrading systems to increase load times and decrease lag.  However each post seems to be case sensitive in respect to what the user's system consist of.  So I'm just curious as to what those of you, who load and are across the map before I even verify, are running as a system.

Here is what I have, and near as I can tell the only thing I should need to upgrade is my mobo & processor

Specs:

Chaintech MK8T890 754 Socket ATX AMD Mobo
Amd Athlon 64 3200+ 800 MHz 754 Socket Processor
2 Gig CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel
80 Gig Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive 
Nvidia Gforce 7800GTX Grapics card
Connected to internet via DSL 6.0 with average of 4,500 Down and 1,000 Up

My load times are just above average and I usually load maps and verify in the middle of the pack...

The real question before I dump the dough is.... if I upgrade to a

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive (but only load games on this drive and leave just the operating system on the 80G)...
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor
1 additional gig of CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel

would that put me up there with you computer geru's who load so damn fast....

also might add another 7800GTX card down the road or just get the new 7900 in March...?

So while I know what's good and what works with what I don't know what the best package deal maybe, so please tell?
onthelam
+0|6779
Your current system should load plenty fast as it is very near what I have except I also have an audigy2zs and I'm one of the first to get on the map.
But when did nVidia release an agp version of the 7800 series? I've never seen one, I thought they were pci-e only.
What are your graphics settings?
fikraag7
j00baroni w/ l33t sauce
+1|6767

I would suggest improving the hard drive...maybe get two WD Caviar SE's @ 7200 rpms each and put them in a RAID 0...or get the raptor and use it as the main HD (because it's much faster)...

Even better, get two Raptors and put them in a RAID 0
Husker~ifh~
Beer Consumption Expert
+25|6743|Beerville, USA
Ops my bad, just a plan ol' 7800GT no X.... and I'm running Audigy 2 as well

The only dif in my comp and my brother-n-laws is his mobo and processor, everything else I have is bigger and better yet he get's in a map before I even hit the verify screen...
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6800|Hanging onto the UAV
The system that you want to buy is identical to mine, except I've not got a Raptor (yet).

You'll be the first (if not, one of the first) onto the map each time. It's a killer spec for not much money. 

By the way, you should look at the new skt939 Opteron 144 as an option for the processor. They're incredibly cheap (around £100 GBP) but can be overclocked to outperform an FX-57, and you won't need fancy watercooling either. Just a thought!
[DHG]Col.Kilroy
+0|6707
I have 754 as well with 1 gig ram,but have 2 80 gig SATA's running in raid and i get in maps not to far behind a buddy with 2 raptors in raid,according to HD Tach his times are only like 18 points higher in average read times,but my speed burst is wayyy faster than his at 235 over his 140...but raid 0 in any aspect is the way to go for sure ,i'll never run single sata again:D
-xXCRUWXx-
+0|6705|NEW YORK
you'er still going to have slow  loading of game  because you are on DSL need to get cable or  untill DSL goes to fiber optics   then you will be on map first
-xXCRUWXx-
+0|6705|NEW YORK

onthelam wrote:

Your current system should load plenty fast as it is very near what I have except I also have an audigy2zs and I'm one of the first to get on the map.
But when did nVidia release an agp version of the 7800 series? I've never seen one, I thought they were pci-e only.
What are your graphics settings?
its not AGP its a PCI
occamsrezr
+7|6727

Husker~ifh~ wrote:

First I have read numerous post about upgrading systems to increase load times and decrease lag.  However each post seems to be case sensitive in respect to what the user's system consist of.  So I'm just curious as to what those of you, who load and are across the map before I even verify, are running as a system.

Here is what I have, and near as I can tell the only thing I should need to upgrade is my mobo & processor

Specs:

Chaintech MK8T890 754 Socket ATX AMD Mobo
Amd Athlon 64 3200+ 800 MHz 754 Socket Processor
2 Gig CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel
80 Gig Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive 
Nvidia Gforce 7800GTX Grapics card
Connected to internet via DSL 6.0 with average of 4,500 Down and 1,000 Up

My load times are just above average and I usually load maps and verify in the middle of the pack...

The real question before I dump the dough is.... if I upgrade to a

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive (but only load games on this drive and leave just the operating system on the 80G)...
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor
1 additional gig of CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel

would that put me up there with you computer geru's who load so damn fast....

also might add another 7800GTX card down the road or just get the new 7900 in March...?

So while I know what's good and what works with what I don't know what the best package deal maybe, so please tell?
Hey, if you're going to upgrade your proc and mobo, I'll buy that! 

I'm running an overclocked AMD XP 2500+ and my load times are about 3-4 minutes.   Though I found that defraging my hard drive made a world of difference.
Husker~ifh~
Beer Consumption Expert
+25|6743|Beerville, USA
occamsrezr .... you got mail
ninja6o4
+3|6734
Besides, the extra gig of ram, the Raptor will make the biggest difference.  However, 2 regular SATA drives in RAID0 stripeset as people have said will match or beat a single raptor anyday. But if 1 drive dies... you lose everything.

If you stick with 1 Raptor, load your OS and BF2 on it.  Keep everything else on your old HD that you don't care about (Office, other games, etc.)

Last edited by ninja6o4 (2006-01-25 15:24:44)

Donutman517
+0|6679
AMD sandiego 3700 oc'd to 2.8
2x1 gig OCZ gamer gx
3 80 Hitachi SATA2 Raid 0
6600GT
DFI Lanparty nf4 sli-dr
Audigy

Usually in the map first.
Husker~ifh~
Beer Consumption Expert
+25|6743|Beerville, USA
LOL Donut.. prior to reading your post I went with:

Asus NF4 Ultra ATX AMD
3700+ San Diego
2 additional gigs Corsair now equalling 4 gigs of ram all together
Sticking with 7800GT and Audigy 2 soundcard
Going from XP home to XP Pro 64

Next month going to put in a 120GB Raptor 10,000 rpm for operating system and BF2, BF2SF, & Expansions whilst leaving everything else on the old one.

if that don't work than screw it I'm going back to buying guns.....
morbesso666
+0|6776|Givataim, Israel
For me even though the loading ends before the music does, I ca't start the game before the song is over.
pisses the hell outta me!!!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard