Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6538|Long Island, New York

lowing wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Guys, please...I don't want this thread being derailed (although it's a bit too late now). This is, after all, about my life, and I want serious advice given, not personal agendas being shouted out.

JahManRed wrote:

The Marines might throw you a rifle and make you a grunt. Can you choose your path to flying in the Marines?

Id get the education first. Then you have the choice. Military or civil. By the time your educated you might not want to join the airforce. This gives you a choice.
I wanted to be a pilot, but was told I was too big to fit in the dam seats. Booo.
Well, as I said, I wouldn't mind doing infantry really. In fact, it appeals to me a bit.

It's probably looking like I'm going to college first...but I still have time to decide. If I don't get into the colleges I want though, it's USMC for me. Although I could transfer in, but it feels like it's not worth it.
I am talking about your life, YOU are asking valid questions, to help secure YOUR future.  I am merely pointing out that after all of your gas, ambition, desire, ATTEMPT all seem to be pre-requisites to success and achievement. You do not seem to believe in all of that bullshit that you preach about as far as entitlement after all. You seem to believe that you actually DO have to go out and EARN a living. I guess waiting on Obama, and divine intervention is out huh?
It's not ADVICE and it's not about my CAREER PATH though. Fuck sake.

Where have I ever said that people don't need to work hard? Just because I supported Obama means I'm suddenly someone who believes in giving everyone a free pass? Just because I was against George Bush's policies means I believe in any of the crap you just said? Seriously, where have I EVER said that I supported that?

You claim I "believe in all that bullshit I preach".

...Where?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6762

jord wrote:

French Foreign legion it.
fuck ya.  war without rules or news cameras.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
Just got an e-mail from an Air Force recruiter and he actually called me before. I was like "who the fuck is this?" (I missed the call) but now I see an e-mail with that number in it. I'm gonna set up a meeting with him in the coming weeks, and I'm going to go to the Marines recruiting station tomorrow hopefully, if not Saturday.

Last edited by Poseidon (2008-11-20 19:53:31)

mcjagdflieger
Champion of Dueling Rectums
+26|6311|South Jersey
getting your PPL beforehand will give you no advantage whatsoever over other potential air force (or any service for that matter) pilots. they dont give a fuck if you know what the inside of a plane smells like, they want to train you their way, not the civilian way. the military is interested in how well you do in math and sciences. most ERAU AFROTC kids with pilot slots are Aeronautical Engineers, and the very best of the class in math and science scores. 50 AF pilot slots, and only 1 or 2 of them were aeronautical science majors. there were 400 kids in my AFROTC class. You need to be the best. If you're serious about AF flying, you best fix your math problems now. its not too late, but you dont have much time left. You will get into Embry Riddle, they accept everybody. I got a 1040 on my SAT's (the old one) and i got in. but like i said, you better have your shit straight by the time your there. bad math scores in HS wont really matter, as long as you can kick ass in college. i was also told when i was there that its alot easier to get a pilot slot with the navy or marines. not to say its easy, just easier than AF, and also a hell of a lot less kids in the NROTC or whatever they call it.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Poseidon wrote:

lowing wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Guys, please...I don't want this thread being derailed (although it's a bit too late now). This is, after all, about my life, and I want serious advice given, not personal agendas being shouted out.

Well, as I said, I wouldn't mind doing infantry really. In fact, it appeals to me a bit.

It's probably looking like I'm going to college first...but I still have time to decide. If I don't get into the colleges I want though, it's USMC for me. Although I could transfer in, but it feels like it's not worth it.
I am talking about your life, YOU are asking valid questions, to help secure YOUR future.  I am merely pointing out that after all of your gas, ambition, desire, ATTEMPT all seem to be pre-requisites to success and achievement. You do not seem to believe in all of that bullshit that you preach about as far as entitlement after all. You seem to believe that you actually DO have to go out and EARN a living. I guess waiting on Obama, and divine intervention is out huh?
It's not ADVICE and it's not about my CAREER PATH though. Fuck sake.

Where have I ever said that people don't need to work hard? Just because I supported Obama means I'm suddenly someone who believes in giving everyone a free pass? Just because I was against George Bush's policies means I believe in any of the crap you just said? Seriously, where have I EVER said that I supported that?

You claim I "believe in all that bullshit I preach".

...Where?
You have always argued with me, when I SAY it. Naturally, since you never agreed with me, I assumed you did not support the need for personal responsibility in all aspects of your life and your decisions. I see now, that you must. I guess now, when I preach it, and you seem to belive it ( for yourself anyway) that you will just karma the shit outta me in agreement. Glad we see eye to eye on things now.

I will now predict, that once you have EARNED a living, you will not be so quick ot want to give it away to those that refuse to. I will even bet that you will want to protect it, from those that want to take it away from you. Time will tell.

Go for the Air Force, your time will not be split between your job and filling sandbags or sleeping in holes. Unless of course infantry is what you want, but then your civilian career choices will become somewhat limited.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
Well, an update:

Talked to a recruiter on the phone last sunday and had a good conversation with him. Will be scheduling a face to face meeting with him when I'm 17, as he stated he can't legally make an appointment until I'm 17. That'll be in about 5 months.

I think I'm most likely joining the Air Force after HS now. A lot of stuff has led to this, but now I want to do it even more. I talked with my guidance counselor today and she says that I should stay with the Aviation program I'm going through (which gets me my PPL), so I'm going to do that...but I'll only have to come to school for one period next year, then I leave for the Aviation program. Sounds great to me, considering I fucking hate high school with a passion. That's also what led to this, though...if I hate HS as much as I do, I doubt I'm going to have an enjoyable time in college right now.

I'd enlist probably this summer, and then I'd go in on the Delayed Entry Program.

I'm gonna need to get in better shape for the program, so I'll be following this routine on a continuous, circulating basis: http://www.usafdep.com/aboutBMT_preBMTtraining.php

It might sound cliche (okay, VERY cliche) but all of this sounds absolutely awesome to me. I want to get my head on straight and do something that I'm truly proud of. Not only will it accomplish that (I'm hoping), but it'll be helping to pay for my college education. I can't wait to do this and I'm truly set on it.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5702|College Park, MD

Poseidon wrote:

Well, an update:

Talked to a recruiter on the phone last sunday and had a good conversation with him. Will be scheduling a face to face meeting with him when I'm 17, as he stated he can't legally make an appointment until I'm 17. That'll be in about 5 months.

I think I'm most likely joining the Air Force after HS now. A lot of stuff has led to this, but now I want to do it even more. I talked with my guidance counselor today and she says that I should stay with the Aviation program I'm going through (which gets me my PPL), so I'm going to do that...but I'll only have to come to school for one period next year, then I leave for the Aviation program. Sounds great to me, considering I fucking hate high school with a passion. That's also what led to this, though...if I hate HS as much as I do, I doubt I'm going to have an enjoyable time in college right now.

I'd enlist probably this summer, and then I'd go in on the Delayed Entry Program.

I'm gonna need to get in better shape for the program, so I'll be following this routine on a continuous, circulating basis: http://www.usafdep.com/aboutBMT_preBMTtraining.php

It might sound cliche (okay, VERY cliche) but all of this sounds absolutely awesome to me. I want to get my head on straight and do something that I'm truly proud of. Not only will it accomplish that (I'm hoping), but it'll be helping to pay for my college education. I can't wait to do this and I'm truly set on it.
gl hf
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
csmag
+92|6448|Canada

Poseidon wrote:

Well, an update:

I know talk is cheap, especially over the internet. But that workout should be no sweat for a teenager especially broken into 14 weeks. Good luck man!
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

csmag wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Well, an update:

I know talk is cheap, especially over the internet. But that workout should be no sweat for a teenager especially broken into 14 weeks. Good luck man!
Yeah, I was actually saying the same thing to Hurricane before. I figured it would be some vigorous thing. I guess they save that for Basic. lol.

I'll still train a lot more than that, obviously. Especially if I only have one period of school a day.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Poseidon wrote:

Well, an update:

It sounds like ya got a plan, for success, and looky, no "luck" required. Have fun with it. AF basic is not bad at all, your biggest challenge will be to stay awake during class room instruction.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

lowing wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Well, an update:

It sounds like ya got a plan, for success, and looky, no "luck" required. Have fun with it. AF basic is not bad at all, your biggest challenge will be to stay awake during class room instruction.
I never asked for luck.

Anyways.

I went to my guidance counselour again today, and it looks like the Aviation program I'm taking is counting for a lot more than I thought. Not only am I going to only have to take one class (Gym) and then go to the airport next year, but I get to drop Chem and Math, my two worst subjects this year. But the best part...I get credit for them!

I was told I'm, academics wise, in "a great position". So...here's to hoping.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Poseidon wrote:

lowing wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Well, an update:

I never asked for luck.

Anyways.

I went to my guidance counselour again today, and it looks like the Aviation program I'm taking is counting for a lot more than I thought. Not only am I going to only have to take one class (Gym) and then go to the airport next year, but I get to drop Chem and Math, my two worst subjects this year. But the best part...I get credit for them!

Didn't say you asked for luck. I was pointing out that luck is not a factor to individual choice.

Sounds great, not too much chemistry needed in aviation, math however...........still, I suck at math as well, ya just seem to learn what it is that applies all the time.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

lowing wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

lowing wrote:

I never asked for luck.

Anyways.

Didn't say you asked for luck. I was pointing out that luck is not a factor to individual choice.

Sounds great, not too much chemistry needed in aviation, math however...........still, I suck at math as well, ya just seem to learn what it is that applies all the time.
Well, the way math is set up in NY is bullshit, and the way it's taught is even more bullshit. So, luckily I'm able to get out of it and it won't drag my GPA down.

My GC told me to find a book to help me prepare for the ASVAB...know of any?
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Poseidon wrote:

ASVAB for Dummies?

And you only have to come in for PE? God that fuckin rocks dude. That's basically what I wish I was doing this year instead of fucking English (although I'd be joining the Army, not the USAF).

Fuck high school and fuck college apps. My parents keep saying that they don't have any preference as to what college I go to or even whether or not I go to college. Why, then, do they care about how well I do in school? As long as I'm not doing badly enough to get kicked out or have to repeat a class, I wouldn't see what the problem is if I don't want to go to college just yet.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

ASVAB for Dummies?

And you only have to come in for PE? God that fuckin rocks dude. That's basically what I wish I was doing this year instead of fucking English (although I'd be joining the Army, not the USAF).

Fuck high school and fuck college apps. My parents keep saying that they don't have any preference as to what college I go to or even whether or not I go to college. Why, then, do they care about how well I do in school? As long as I'm not doing badly enough to get kicked out or have to repeat a class, I wouldn't see what the problem is if I don't want to go to college just yet.
http://www.amazon.com/ASVAB-Dummies-Car … amp;sr=8-3

Could work!

This one looks pretty good: http://www.amazon.com/Master-ASVAB-CD-4 … amp;sr=8-2

And I figure I'd pick up this one as well: http://www.amazon.com/Military-Flight-A … amp;sr=1-1

And yeah, I've been so freaking pumped up today now that I learned next year's gonna be a breeze. BOCES (the aviation program, but there are MANY other BOCES programs for other stuff like Auto Tech) gives me 4 credits. One for English, one for Science, one for Math. So, I use the Science and Math credits this year, then I use the English credit for next year.
Reciprocity
+721|6581|the dank(super) side of Oregon
reminds me of my senior year.  took an AP composition class for fun and was a teacher's assistant for my football coach.  I was done by 10am.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6666|NT, like Mick Dundee

Trying to get into the AusArmy again pretty soon as a grunt for 4 years.

Knocked back last time due to medication I was on.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
this is one of those times i wish i was 18
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.
If I fail this medical I'm joining the Foreign legion to go kill some Africans with a FAMAS.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

jord wrote:

If I fail this medical I'm joining the Foreign legion to go kill some Africans with a FAMAS.
You'd get a Kepi as well
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
Picked this up today:

https://www.textbooksrus.com/book_pics_large/0071453369.jpg

Gonna be studying like a motherfucker for the next 6 months, especially with no Chem or Math anymore.
jord

M.O.A.B wrote:

jord wrote:

You'd get a Kepi as well
Hopefully not, berets look cooler
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6666|NT, like Mick Dundee

Poseidon wrote:

Picked this up today:

http://www.textbooksrus.com/book_pics_l … 453369.jpg

Gonna be studying like a motherfucker for the next 6 months, especially with no Chem or Math anymore.

Last time I did the Army's aptitude testing I qualified for just about every job they have. Ofc the piloting jobs require extra aptitude testing which I didn't do but you get the picture.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6762

Flecco wrote:

Ofc the piloting jobs require extra aptitude testing which I didn't do but you get the picture.
yes we do....
jord

Flecco wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Picked this up today:

http://www.textbooksrus.com/book_pics_l … 453369.jpg

:lol:

Last time I did the Army's aptitude testing I qualified for just about every job they have. Ofc the piloting jobs require extra aptitude testing which I didn't do but you get the picture.
I got a score of 66, he said every single job in the British Army is open to me with that score. Still going infantry though, it's what GS would have wanted...

rip gs lulz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard