Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York
So, I'm now within 1 3/4 years of my graduation from High School (praise the lord Allah) and I've been debating a lot of choices for what I want to do.

I've got a couple plans set up right now. Currently, I'm in a state/school sponored program called BOCES (all free except for 8 hours during the summer ) which is going to allow me to get my Private Pilot's License by the time I'm in college. In a year's time I'll be soloing. I figure I'll get my PPL and 40 hours by around January or February (2010) and apply for the Aeronautical schools I want (Embry-Riddle, Florida Tech, Dowling College and Daniel Webster have been my top choices so far). I'd get my 4 years in college, get my bachelor's degree in aeronautical science and then join the Air Force.

However, some other options have popped into my mind over the past couple of months and are growing stronger as the days pass. I'm contemplating joining the Marines right out of High School. I know quite a few people here have military experience/knowledge, so I need to know - as an enlistee out of HS, having my PPL...what benefits would there be? Could I get flight training? I wouldn't mind doing Infantry or another type of ground job, but flying is my passion.

I don't know why, and call me crazy, but I actually really like the idea of doing infantry. Not only would I be able to serve my country which I really want to do, but I'd be able to do something that truly makes my family - and myself - proud. I know it sounds very cliche, but I feel like I really need to do something big straight out of HS. I'm going to the recruiting office near me on Friday or Saturday so I'll find out more, but I'm just wondering what people here thought of the idea.

And in general - are there any benefits to enlisting for either branch (USAF or USMC) or is College truly the way to go?

I posted this here for a reason...I'm looking for serious replies. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5651
I would go for the college route. Having those experiences will benefit you much more than the military would IMO.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

phishman420 wrote:

I would go for the college route. Having those experiences will benefit you much more than the military would IMO.
Would it, though? The only way I can see that happening is if I go to ERAU, where people are very focused on flying and their work (or so I hear). I HATE the environment of high school more than anything, and I feel like a standard college like FIT, DW or DC wouldn't really suit my needs.

Last edited by Poseidon (2008-11-17 19:29:01)

phishman420
Banned
+821|5651
There's more to college than just an education. You need to go out, meet some people, and have some fun. You're still too young to know exactly what you want to do. Go to college for at least a year, then reevaluate your situation.

Last edited by phishman420 (2008-11-17 19:33:31)

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5672|College Park, MD
Just FYI poseidon, I think any flying MOS in any branch of the military requires some sort of college degree. AFAIK, you have to be a Warrant Officer or Commissioned Officer to fly in the Army and USAF. Same thing probably applies to the USMC, USN, and USCG.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

You might be able to go Warrant in the Corps and fly helos.

But I recommend doing college first. Determine which branch you want to go into while there. I had similar thoughts when I was getting ready to graduate and trying to figure out what I wanted to do in the military.

If you didn't have any self-discipline, I'd say go enlisted (any service) to help you cage yourself. But you appear to be fairly focused and squared away when it comes to your goals. I recommend going to college and getting a commission.

As for aviation, having your PPL is good for getting into pilot training, but I've talked to IPs who have said they prefer to have students who are "virgins" so they don't have to unlearn bad habits. Military and civil aviation are different...you have to keep that in mind.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6327|CA, USA
Have you considered a service academy?  Marines and Navy have the Naval Academy and Army has West Point.  Getting in is very competetive but you get trained to be a leader as well as get a world class education.

I encourage you to speak with a Marine Corps recruiter and study hard for that ASVAB.  Best of luck to you.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Just FYI poseidon, I think any flying MOS in any branch of the military requires some sort of college degree. AFAIK, you have to be a Warrant Officer or Commissioned Officer to fly in the Army and USAF. Same thing probably applies to the USMC, USN, and USCG.
They do. I talked to an AF recruiter last year when all this stuff was fairly fresh in my mind and he stated that. I was just hoping having my PPL would give me some kind of "jump start" if that makes any sense.

FEOS wrote:

You might be able to go Warrant in the Corps and fly helos.

But I recommend doing college first. Determine which branch you want to go into while there. I had similar thoughts when I was getting ready to graduate and trying to figure out what I wanted to do in the military.

If you didn't have any self-discipline, I'd say go enlisted (any service) to help you cage yourself. But you appear to be fairly focused and squared away when it comes to your goals. I recommend going to college and getting a commission.

As for aviation, having your PPL is good for getting into pilot training, but I've talked to IPs who have said they prefer to have students who are "virgins" so they don't have to unlearn bad habits. Military and civil aviation are different...you have to keep that in mind.
I've considered helicopters before, but I'm really more of a plane person. Plus, my CFI calls 'em "whirling birds with blades of death" so that doesn't exactly attract me to them very much.

Probably a good idea to go to college and then decide...and I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm just very confused right now as to what I want to do - I know my career is going to involve aviation and/or the military, but it's specifically what which I've been contemplating now for a while.

I've got pretty good self-discipline. Or so I think... I just feel sometimes like I need the feel of the military right out of HS to get my head on straight. If I DO enlist, what are the education options? Could I still get my bachelor's degree in Aeronautical science THROUGH the Marines/AF, or would I have to go to a standard college for that? I'm not really sure what kind of education the Corps or Air Force offer for the enlisted.

I've heard that before...I think it might have been you actually. I think I'd have a better chance of being able to fly going in with my PPL than without though, as I'm pretty sure they'd want someone who's excellent in math + science, yes? And I'm probably the only Jew on Earth who's bad with Math...

CaptainSpaulding71 wrote:

Have you considered a service academy?  Marines and Navy have the Naval Academy and Army has West Point.  Getting in is very competetive but you get trained to be a leader as well as get a world class education.

I encourage you to speak with a Marine Corps recruiter and study hard for that ASVAB.  Best of luck to you.
I wish. From what I've heard, you need excellent grades to get in...my only bad grade is math really, so that'd kill me. I consider myself somewhat of a realist, so my chances of getting there are slim to none.

But thank you. There's a recruiting station in the town over, and my mother's not exactly thrilled about it, but I'll be visiting them this weekend as I said.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6686
a note on highschool... it's not the real world and you will laugh about highschool when you get older...(and i don't mean the schoolwork...study hard)   Go to college and you will have a blast... just don't have too much fun and get kicked out...lol
stick around for all 4 years and you will get an education and some amazing experiences...  and the military would be an awesome choice also...
or both through ROTC...
Love is the answer
FEOS
+1,182|6381|'Murka

Poseidon wrote:

I've got pretty good self-discipline. Or so I think... I just feel sometimes like I need the feel of the military right out of HS to get my head on straight. If I DO enlist, what are the education options? Could I still get my bachelor's degree in Aeronautical science THROUGH the Marines/AF, or would I have to go to a standard college for that? I'm not really sure what kind of education the Corps or Air Force offer for the enlisted.
You've got the GI Bill...but trying to get your degree while on active duty is going to be very tough (schedule-wise) and take a lot longer. The ability to knock out classes is entirely dependent on your AFSC in the AF. For the Corps, I'm guessing any MOS would make taking classes tough.

Go to college. Then get a commission (or do them both concurrently via ROTC or Academy).

Poseidon wrote:

I've heard that before...I think it might have been you actually. I think I'd have a better chance of being able to fly going in with my PPL than without though, as I'm pretty sure they'd want someone who's excellent in math + science, yes? And I'm probably the only Jew on Earth who's bad with Math...
Probably was me. But like I said, the PPL knowledge should help you get selected for UPT (based on AFOQT and BAT scores). Getting through UPT and into a position where you have a shot at the platform of your choice is a different story. That's where the "unlearning bad habits" could pose a problem...but only if you let them.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
If you want a military-style experience while also getting an amazing education, check out Virginia Tech. They offer aerospace engineering as a major, and if you do ROTC there then you have to join the Corps of Cadets.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

FEOS wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

You've got the GI Bill...but trying to get your degree while on active duty is going to be very tough (schedule-wise) and take a lot longer. The ability to knock out classes is entirely dependent on your AFSC in the AF. For the Corps, I'm guessing any MOS would make taking classes tough.

Go to college. Then get a commission (or do them both concurrently via ROTC or Academy).
Hmph. Well, shit.

And I'd do ROTC...apparentely ERAU has the biggest and best ROTC in a civilian college.

Poseidon wrote:

Probably was me. But like I said, the PPL knowledge should help you get selected for UPT (based on AFOQT and BAT scores). Getting through UPT and into a position where you have a shot at the platform of your choice is a different story. That's where the "unlearning bad habits" could pose a problem...but only if you let them.
Ah, alright. Well, I've only flown once so far and my instructor said I've got some good tendencies.. but I'm not going to judge off of one lesson. I'm pretty good at un-learning bad habits from what I've seen, so hopefully I'll be set.

Question though - what type of flying opportunities are available out of UPT? Or does it vary? What have you seen?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

If you want a military-style experience while also getting an amazing education, check out Virginia Tech. They offer aerospace engineering as a major, and if you do ROTC there then you have to join the Corps of Cadets.
I'm not into engineering...my grandfather was though. He worked at Grumman (RIP) and worked on the LEM and F-14's, but I'm into flying the planes, not making 'em.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Poseidon wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I'm not into engineering...my grandfather was though. He worked at Grumman (RIP) and worked on the LEM and F-14's, but I'm into flying the planes, not making 'em.
Flying is ultimately... vocational I'd say. Hell, you can be an English major and still fly planes. I was just using aerospace engineering as an example, since I know you're interested in that sort of stuff. It would give you a degree, get you a commission, and give you a military experience during college.

*Interested in aerospace/aeronautics that is.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2008-11-17 20:09:57)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Flying is ultimately... vocational I'd say. Hell, you can be an English major and still fly planes. I was just using aerospace engineering as an example, since I know you're interested in that sort of stuff. It would give you a degree, get you a commission, and give you a military experience during college.

I know, I know...I just want flying planes to be my career. It's my passion and has been since I was about 12 or so...I'm sticking with it.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6685|US
If you are not interested in making planes, how do you know you will be an aero major?  That is a ton of math/physics about aircraft components, fluid dynamics, etc.

From what you've stated, USAFA, USNA, ERAU, etc all seem like good choices (service academies depending a lot on how good your grades/ECs were). 

UPT "drops" (airframe training offered) varies over time.  Right now, the USAF is getting into UAVs in a big way, but we still fly a ton of conventional aircraft.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6260|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

don't go NROTC though

those guys are cockfags

and go do college at least a semester
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
FEOS
+1,182|6381|'Murka

Poseidon wrote:

Question though - what type of flying opportunities are available out of UPT? Or does it vary? What have you seen?
Pretty much every platform in the inventory. Just depends on where you graduate in the class and where you go to UPT (if you go to Euro-NATO Joint Jet Training [ENJJT], you'll go fighters regardless of where you finish in the class...usually).
― Albert Einstein

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

FEOS wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Pretty much every platform in the inventory. Just depends on where you graduate in the class and where you go to UPT (if you go to Euro-NATO Joint Jet Training [ENJJT], you'll go fighters regardless of where you finish in the class...usually).
Damn...that sounds great to me.

I can't really find much on ENJJT though - what's the deal with it?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

Poseidon wrote:

So, I'm now within 1 3/4 years of my graduation from High School (praise the lord Allah) and I've been debating a lot of choices for what I want to do.

I've got a couple plans set up right now. Currently, I'm in a state/school sponored program called BOCES (all free except for 8 hours during the summer ) which is going to allow me to get my Private Pilot's License by the time I'm in college. In a year's time I'll be soloing. I figure I'll get my PPL and 40 hours by around January or February (2010) and apply for the Aeronautical schools I want (Embry-Riddle, Florida Tech, Dowling College and Daniel Webster have been my top choices so far). I'd get my 4 years in college, get my bachelor's degree in aeronautical science and then join the Air Force.

However, some other options have popped into my mind over the past couple of months and are growing stronger as the days pass. I'm contemplating joining the Marines right out of High School. I know quite a few people here have military experience/knowledge, so I need to know - as an enlistee out of HS, having my PPL...what benefits would there be? Could I get flight training? I wouldn't mind doing Infantry or another type of ground job, but flying is my passion.

I don't know why, and call me crazy, but I actually really like the idea of doing infantry. Not only would I be able to serve my country which I really want to do, but I'd be able to do something that truly makes my family - and myself - proud. I know it sounds very cliche, but I feel like I really need to do something big straight out of HS. I'm going to the recruiting office near me on Friday or Saturday so I'll find out more, but I'm just wondering what people here thought of the idea.

And in general - are there any benefits to enlisting for either branch (USAF or USMC) or is College truly the way to go?

I posted this here for a reason...I'm looking for serious replies. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.
Why not just hang out and see what "luck", "destiny", "fortune", "karma" "entitlement" and Obama will do for you? With those on your side, who needs ambition, drive, education, or desire?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Poseidon wrote:

And you have to bring politics in here, lowing? Reeeeeeeally?

I know you're still butthurt that Obama's going to be commander-in-chief, but really...fuck off.

Last edited by Poseidon (2008-11-18 18:56:23)

phishman420
Banned
+821|5651
Don't blame at him.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Poseidon wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

I know, I know...I just want flying planes to be my career. It's my passion and has been since I was about 12 or so...I'm sticking with it.
At the risk of sounding like a tool, planes aren't gonna disappear cause of 4 years in college.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Do College.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

grunts pwn

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard