CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6100|Carnoustie MASSIF

Associated Press wrote:

Somali pirates hijacked a supertanker hundreds of miles off the Horn of Africa, seizing the Saudi-owned ship loaded with crude and its 25-member crew, the U.S. Navy said Monday.

It was the largest ship pirates have seized, and the farthest out to sea they have successfully struck.

The hijacking highlighted the vulnerability of even very large ships and pointed to widening ambitions and capabilities among ransom-hungry pirates who have carried out a surge of attacks this year off Somalia.

Saturday's hijacking of the MV Sirius Star tanker occurred in the Indian Ocean far south of the zone patrolled by international warships in the busy Gulf of Aden shipping channel, which leads to and from the Suez Canal. A U.S. Navy spokesman said the bandits were taking it to a Somali port that has become a haven for seized ships and bandits trying to force ransoms for them.
Full story here.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6547|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
Sound like gas price will rocket up once again....
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6417|Chicago, IL
So, can someone tell my why the world's naval forces haven't razed that port and destroyed those pirates?  Is this yet another example of the UN's inability to accomplish anything?

Or does America have to wipe out the African piracy ring yet again.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6077|Birmingham, UK
I thought tankers had some sort of protection?
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5724|Roma
Can't they just fly A-10s or MiGs over the Somalia sea and sink those pirate ships?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6444|6 6 4 oh, I forget

aerodynamic wrote:

Can't they just fly A-10s or MiGs over the Somalia sea and sink those pirate ships?
Another one could be to hire the foreign legion for some sniping courses. They probably wouldn't mind some trigger/breath control exercise
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6709|Comber, Northern Ireland
this is fucking insane, kil those fucking skinnys, some AK-47's, RPG's and the odd .50cal isnt gonna be a match for the world navies, i mean fuck me world.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5672|College Park, MD

aerodynamic wrote:

or just give the ship captains some high-powered rifles / machine guns

seriously, it's not like these pirates are sailing in destroyers or cruisers. when i think of these pirates raiding ships, i think of a bunch of skinny guys with AK-47s on a wooden dinghy.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
pndragon26
+23|6656
... I can see it now, the US Navy blows up a pirate ship... local news reels confirm it was in fact a family out celebrating a wedding and another reason to hate America is born. Get somebody else to the dirty work you guys have no stomach for.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6417|Chicago, IL

pndragon26 wrote:

... I can see it now, the US Navy blows up a pirate ship... local news reels confirm it was in fact a family out celebrating a wedding and another reason to hate America is born. Get somebody else to the dirty work you guys have no stomach for.
They haven't attacked any Israeli ships yet
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6548|Columbus, OH
These pirates are not very smart. If they leave the crude oil alone, they will not have to deal with other countrie's navy or military forces.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
I said it a long time ago, any idiots idiotic enough to get captured by Pirates even thought they fucking know all the shit that goes on deserves to even get fucking killed. Fuck that. Enough of the bullshit. You go in there without anything, good luck but fuck you mate.
GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5902|CA
We need some ninjas to get it back.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6417|Chicago, IL

Mekstizzle wrote:

I said it a long time ago, any idiots idiotic enough to get captured by Pirates even thought they fucking know all the shit that goes on deserves to even get fucking killed. Fuck that. Enough of the bullshit. You go in there without anything, good luck but fuck you mate.
So you'd rather they sail around Africa?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England

S.Lythberg wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

No I'd rather they actually defend themselves. I guess it'll never happen until these Pirates kill a large number of crewmen. Oh well. Sucks to be them but if they're going to go in there without sufficient means to ward off pirates, then that's their problem. Fuck 'em.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6417|Chicago, IL

Mekstizzle wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

No I'd rather they actually defend themselves. I guess it'll never happen until these Pirates kill a large number of crewmen. Oh well. Sucks to be them but if they're going to go in there without sufficient means to ward off pirates, then that's their problem. Fuck 'em.
You'd have to review the UN's maritime shipping policies, I'm not sure how extensively commercial ships are allowed to arm themselves.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6100|Carnoustie MASSIF
Update.

Two Britons are among the crew.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5901|Somewhere out in Space

SirSchloppy wrote:

Update.

Two Britons are among the crew.
Kill em all america.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6644|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
Some guy on the news this morning gives it "The Pirates have been re-investing the money they get from ransoms into better guns and sat nav's, gps phones etc".

1. So they don't have hooks for hands then as they would struggle to use a phone.
2. They must of purchased a big fucking ladder to get on that boat in the 1st place, it had a normal tanker next to it and dwarfed it.

Why did the fucking capt stop to let them on?
Why have people in the past fucking paid them?
Why arn't the protection agencys doing a better job of protecting them?

My hearties, ahhh ahhh  (More like Alan Partridge)
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6686
I'm imagining tighter security in the future...
Love is the answer
Ultrafunkula

1927 wrote:

Some guy on the news this morning gives it "The Pirates have been re-investing the money they get from ransoms into better guns and sat nav's, gps phones etc".

1. So they don't have hooks for hands then as they would struggle to use a phone.
2. They must of purchased a big fucking ladder to get on that boat in the 1st place, it had a normal tanker next to it and dwarfed it.

Why did the fucking capt stop to let them on?
Why have people in the past fucking paid them?
Why arn't the protection agencys doing a better job of protecting them?

My hearties, ahhh ahhh  (More like Alan Partridge)
I think they use SF grapple hooks to climbe up on the ships. One skinny manages the Evinrude and the others throw the rope and climb up.
Im one step ahead of the skinnies.

How are they going to flog millions of barrels of crude oil or whatever it is?  Take 2 barrels to all the local shell garages and offer them dirt cheap, wink wink, nudge nudge ask no questions.  "Fell off the back of a super tanker".
They are leaders in the world of investment - bless 'em

https://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/upload/2006/09/blackbeard_tampons.jpg

'Fer pluggin the bloody hole afore th' sharks smell ye!'  - Now why didnt I think of that?
Ultrafunkula

1927 wrote:

How are they going to flog millions of barrels of crude oil or whatever it is?  Take 2 barrels to all the local shell garages and offer them dirt cheap, wink wink, nudge nudge ask no questions.  "Fell off the back of a super tanker".
Ya. But. They have one sneaky skinny aiming at the top if someone tries to remove the rope he'll shoot him or throw stones at him. Terrorists win.

Ultrafunkula wrote:

1927 wrote:

Ya. But. They have one sneaky skinny aiming at the top if someone tries to remove the rope he'll shoot him or throw stones at him. Terrorists win.
I would lie with my back on the floor and kick the rope back over thwarting there cunning plan, I just hope the hook and rope didnt land on my nuts.  Would rather take a bullet than that.

Hang on a mo, skinnies can't shoot str8 and their boat is bouncing on the waves and they can't throw a grapple that high, they would need a grapple shooter to shoot it.

On a serious note, why wern't the crew armed to help protect themselves (the tanker crew that is)?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard