Why would you want a SuperSonic Donkey?20%20% - 8
Total: 39
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6712|NYC / Hamburg

Bertster7 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

GodFather wrote:

I heard if you defrag them over and over again they go faster...

but thats hella expensive
No, defragging them kills them.
Does it?

I thought it was just completely unnecessary. I didn't realise it was actually bad for them. Why is that?
They have a maximum number of writes/reads. You do the math ...

Last edited by max (2008-11-13 11:33:19)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6794

It specifically states on all the ones I've seen that you should not under any circumstances defrag them. I'm assuming for the reasons Max posted.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6726|SE London

max wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

No, defragging them kills them.
Does it?

I thought it was just completely unnecessary. I didn't realise it was actually bad for them. Why is that?
They have a maximum number of writes/reads. You do the math ...
Oh right, yeah.

Not reads, you can do them as many times as you like. It's only a max number of write cycles and you get a shitload before failure. You could leave the drive defraging solidly for maybe 6 months to a year before you hit your write cycle limit - so it's not gonna kill them (not right away at least).

Last edited by Bertster7 (2008-11-13 11:42:30)

Benzin
+576|6144

Freezer7Pro wrote:

SSDs aren't kings when it comes to pure bandwidth, they're about on level with a single raptor there. What makes them special is that they're not sensitive towards fragmentation, and thus, their search time is barely there. If you use a computer with a normal platter drive for one year, and one with an SSD, the SSD will be much, much faster than the platter drive. Same thing if you're copying thousands of small files.
True, but the platter drive is still superior at the moment. Until the SSD gets faster and as cheap as a platter drive, that's all it will be useful for: shock resistant data.

Not sure if you can get hardware encryption with SSDs, though, like you can with platter drives.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard