Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6156|eXtreme to the maX
They're trying to annoy the Russians into upping the ante because that what the MI complex does.
How else can your buddies make money?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6340|Éire

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Can somebody please explain to me why the missile system has to be placed on the Russian border?
Pretty sure it's being placed in Poland and the CR...or are any countries that are within one country of Russia off-limits?

(Neither Poland nor the CR share a border with Russia proper).
At last someone is responding... okay it's not right on the border but why does it have to be in Eastern Europe?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6651|132 and Bush

Shahter wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Wasn't Russia invited to participate?
i'd settle for a straght answer - and i DID try to answer all the questions i've been asked on the matter, unless those were obvious attemts to troll me for lulz. but you keep answering me with more questions.
anyway, Russia's Radar Cooperation Plan, Azerbaijan. how's that?
This is my first reply to you so I don't see how "I keep answering you with questions". You haven't addressed the fact that Russia was invited to participate in the new system. If that is the case then Russia wouldn't have had to, in Braddocks words "just take America at its word ".

Btw you answered me with a question.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
PureFodder
+225|6335

Kmarion wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Wasn't Russia invited to participate?
i'd settle for a straght answer - and i DID try to answer all the questions i've been asked on the matter, unless those were obvious attemts to troll me for lulz. but you keep answering me with more questions.
This is my first reply to you so I don't see how "I keep answering you with questions". You haven't addressed the fact that Russia was invited to participate in the new system. If that is the case then Russia wouldn't have had to, in Braddocks words "just take America at its word ".

It'll cost them money that they don't have, having no missile shield and reducing nuclear stockpiles (something that would likely be unfeasable as missile shields increase and improve) saves them money that they really could do more useful things with.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6651|132 and Bush

PureFodder wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Shahter wrote:

It'll cost them money that they don't have, having no missile shield and reducing nuclear stockpiles (something that would likely be unfeasable as missile shields increase and improve) saves them money that they really could do more useful things with.
Well at least I got a genuine answer. I've never heard that. Where did you? I'm assuming that it would depend on how they define participate. If it's "hey we build it and you can man it" the cost would be minimal. From what I read the proposal was open ended.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6340|Éire

Kmarion wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Well at least I got a genuine answer. I've never heard that. Where did you? I'm assuming that it would depend on how they define participate. If it's "hey we build it and you can man it" the cost would be minimal. From what I read the proposal was open ended.
Does anyone actually know the nature of the proposed inclusion deal regarding Russia's involvement in the missile shield or are we all working on conjecture? A 'we build it, you man it' proposal would seem pretty fair to me but do we even know if it was on the table?

Also... why does it have to be so near Russia's border again?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6461|'Murka

Shahter wrote:

well, i rest my case.
you do live in an wonderfull world, FEOS. i'm completely jealous.
You should've rested it long ago.

The world I live in is called "reality". Where we look at things objectively and make rational decisions based on facts. You really should visit.

PureFodder wrote:

So, what exactly is the US system supposed to be doing? Preventing an Iranian strike on Eastern Bulgaria?
That map refers to one currently fielded missile in Iran's inventory. By the time the system is on line, Iran is going to have longer-range missiles in their inventory.

Braddock wrote:

At last someone is responding... okay it's not right on the border but why does it have to be in Eastern Europe?
Don't know...maybe because they've got the space for it? Not sure what all goes into site surveys for those things, but I do know that it's not always intuitive where the best places are on the ground when dealing with space-related things.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6825|Moscow, Russia

Kmarion wrote:

You haven't addressed the fact that Russia was invited to participate in the new system.
yeah, i didn't. i thought it would be obvious - Russia does not see the need for any new system and proposed to operate the existing radar station in Azerbajan, which btw is much better positioned than anything US could have build in CR - that is if we actually speaking of missile defense against ME. clear now?

FEOS wrote:

The world I live in is called "reality". Where we look at things objectively and make rational decisions based on facts. You really should visit.
oh, thanks, but i'm quite content to remain were i am. frankly, your "reality of objective outlook" based on double standarts and "facts" taken from wikipedia does not interest me one bit, no matter how wonderfull this world may look from there.

Last edited by Shahter (2008-11-12 22:52:02)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
FEOS
+1,182|6461|'Murka

Shahter wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

You haven't addressed the fact that Russia was invited to participate in the new system.
yeah, i didn't. i thought it would be obvious - Russia does not see the need for any new system and proposed to operate the existing radar station in Azerbajan, which btw is much better positioned than anything US could have build in CR - that is if we actually speaking of missile defense against ME. clear now?
And your assumption that the Azerbaijan radar is better positioned is based on what? All your experience with radar systems?

Shahter wrote:

FEOS wrote:

oh, thanks, but i'm quite content to remain were i am. frankly, your "reality of objective outlook" based on double standarts and "facts" taken from wikipedia does not interest me one bit, no matter how wonderfull this world may look from there.
Double standards? Seriously? That's not just the pot calling the kettle black...that's the pot calling the good china black.

As has been said before...wikipedia is a consolidation of information from many sources. Those individual sources are cited in the wiki pages. Those individual sources contain multiple points of view. You can even go to those individual sources and review them independently from wikipedia. It's called research. Something you have not and apparently will not bother yourself with.

And in the end, you can't refute the information, so you ridicule the source...the last defense of a poor argument.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
PureFodder
+225|6335

FEOS wrote:

And I said already it wouldn't be an issue. Because we know what the capabilities of those types of systems are and know they pose no threat whatsoever to our ability to hold targets in Cuba, Venezuela, or anywhere else at risk.

Try gingko biloba. It's supposed to help with short-term memory.

FEOS wrote:

By the time the system is on line, Iran is going to have longer-range missiles in their inventory.
You might want to try that gingko biloba stuff as you're arguing against yourself. Clearly South American countries can develop better missiles too.

Plus, the obvious points that never gets answered.
a) These missiles will never be fired in an Iranian first strike situation, they aren't utterly suicidal.
b) Any missiles that they do fire will almost certainly be aimed at Israel, not south east Europe.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6156|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

You do have a sense of humour after all.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6651|132 and Bush

Shahter wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

The point is to clarify intent.... obviously.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6503|The Twilight Zone
So what if defensive missiles are put on Cuba facing towards the US and are there to defend Cuba from threat from Asia and Middle east. What would USA do?
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6340|Éire

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Don't know...maybe because they've got the space for it? Not sure what all goes into site surveys for those things, but I do know that it's not always intuitive where the best places are on the ground when dealing with space-related things.
So it just happens to be going on the periphery of Russia, America's former arch nemesis' border?

What is the purpose of this system? From whom is it anticipating attack?
Commie Killer
+192|6437

.Sup wrote:

So what if defensive missiles are put on Cuba facing towards the US and are there to defend Cuba from threat from Asia and Middle east. What would USA do?
Probably not care....
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6340|Éire

Commie Killer wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Probably not care....
Are you sure? Because a couple of aerial photographs of random holes in the ground in the Iraqi desert were enough to rattle ye a few years back.

I'll ask again... from whom is this missile system expecting attack?

Last edited by Braddock (2008-11-13 08:34:15)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6651|132 and Bush

.Sup wrote:

Would they give the US access to the facilities?

Me personally, I wouldn't care. And I live 10 minutes from Central Command.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Commie Killer
+192|6437

Braddock wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Probably not care....
Are you sure? Because a couple of aerial photographs of random holes in the ground in the Iraqi desert were enough to rattle ye a few years back.

I'll ask again... from whom is this missile system expecting attack?
Lets try to keep it away from Iraq, but they were thought to be WMD's which are offensive weapons.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6631|SE London

Obama still hasn't committed over the project though. So Who knows if this whole Polish ABM system will even happen.

http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=182101
Gotta love that source (although it's really just 2nd hand BBC).
FEOS
+1,182|6461|'Murka

PureFodder wrote:

You might want to try that gingko biloba stuff as you're arguing against yourself. Clearly South American countries can develop better missiles too.

a) These missiles will never be fired in an Iranian first strike situation, they aren't utterly suicidal.
b) Any missiles that they do fire will almost certainly be aimed at Israel, not south east Europe.
Have any South American countries developed any missiles? No.

You are making assumptions and calling them "obvious points". You don't know either of those as fact...only your supposition.

Braddock wrote:

So it just happens to be going on the periphery of Russia, America's former arch nemesis' border?
It's not on the periphery of Russia. It's at least one country removed from Russia in both cases.

Braddock wrote:

Haven't we already covered both of those questions enough?
1. Defense against inbound missiles.
2. Rogue states (not Russia).
― Albert Einstein

PureFodder
+225|6335

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

You are making assumptions and calling them "obvious points". You don't know either of those as fact...only your supposition.
The notion that Iran is willing to commit utter suicide is a massive leap of supposition.

Surely the idea of the Iranian leadership deciding to bring about the complete destruction of their own country is a massivly unlikely occurance. Plus we know they hate Israel, Israel is very much in range of Iranian missiles. Their relations with Europe are far better than their relations with Israel

The idea that South Americans aren't developing amazing new missiles is (wait for it).... only your supposition. You don't know that as a fact.

You really have absolutely no sensible answer to either point do you?

If it is not supposed to be used against Russian missiles, are you proposing that in the event of Russia and the US firing missiles at each other the US is going to sportingly turn the thing off and let the Russian missiles through? Whatever you claim the purpose of the shield is, it CAN be used against Russian missiles therefore it is a threat to Russia.
FEOS
+1,182|6461|'Murka

PureFodder wrote:

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

The notion that Iran is willing to commit utter suicide is a massive leap of supposition.
As is the notion that Iran's leadership would view it as such.

PureFodder wrote:

Surely the idea of the Iranian leadership deciding to bring about the complete destruction of their own country is a massivly unlikely occurance. Plus we know they hate Israel, Israel is very much in range of Iranian missiles. Their relations with Europe are far better than their relations with Israel
Again, your supposition. I agree it is far more likely that they would hit Israel, but Israel has their own ABM system. You plan for the most dangerous, as well as the most likely course of action for the threat. The most dangerous is hitting Europe with a WMD warhead of some sort. The most likely is hitting Israel with the same. The most likely COA is taken care of by Israel. We're working to counter the most dangerous.

PureFodder wrote:

The idea that South Americans aren't developing amazing new missiles is (wait for it).... only your supposition. You don't know that as a fact.
And just why would you assume I don't know that for a fact?

PureFodder wrote:

Meh. Read above.

PureFodder wrote:

If it is not supposed to be used against Russian missiles, are you proposing that in the event of Russia and the US firing missiles at each other the US is going to sportingly turn the thing off and let the Russian missiles through? Whatever you claim the purpose of the shield is, it CAN be used against Russian missiles therefore it is a threat to Russia.
/headdesk
/headdesk
/headdesk

Dear GOD! Please read once in a while. This issue has been addressed multiple times in this thread and multiple times in multiple other threads.

Gingko biloba. Try it. Seriously.

In the event of Russia and the US firing missiles at each other, the ABM system in Europe wouldn't be capable of doing anything. It is a mid-course intercept system. Mid-course for Russian missiles launched at the US is somewhere over the North Pole. The system in Europe can't intercept missiles in that trajectory. So therefore, per the laws of freakin' physics...it CANNOT be used against Russian missiles heading for the US and therefore IS NOT a threat to Russia.

Is that clear enough?
― Albert Einstein

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6273|Escea

Man who would have thought a simple increase in security that poses no threat to anyone except their missiles, would spark so much arguing, jeez.

Seriously what is the big problem with increasing security?
PureFodder
+225|6335

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

FEOS wrote:

As is the notion that Iran's leadership would view it as such.
Actually, it's not a massive leap of supposition to believe that the Iranian leadership understands that the US/UK/France/Israel/Russia each have the capability to utterly destroy Iran.
Show that the Iranian leadership either don't understand MAD or don't care.

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Again, your supposition. I agree it is far more likely that they would hit Israel, but Israel has their own ABM system. You plan for the most dangerous, as well as the most likely course of action for the threat. The most dangerous is hitting Europe with a WMD warhead of some sort. The most likely is hitting Israel with the same. The most likely COA is taken care of by Israel. We're working to counter the most dangerous.
Actually the most dangerous course of action would be Iran firing it's missiles the other way, towards the more densely populated cities in India.

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

And just why would you assume I don't know that for a fact?
Because your repeatedly arguing against yourself. If Iran can develop better missiles, go crazy and lauch an attack, so can anyone else.

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Meh. Read above.
I did, the answers aren't sensible as they rely almost exclusively upon Iranian leadership going crazy and attacking Europe for no apparent reason.

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

/headdesk
/headdesk
/headdesk

Dear GOD! Please read once in a while. This issue has been addressed multiple times in this thread and multiple times in multiple other threads.

Gingko biloba. Try it. Seriously.

In the event of Russia and the US firing missiles at each other, the ABM system in Europe wouldn't be capable of doing anything. It is a mid-course intercept system. Mid-course for Russian missiles launched at the US is somewhere over the North Pole. The system in Europe can't intercept missiles in that trajectory. So therefore, per the laws of freakin' physics...it CANNOT be used against Russian missiles heading for the US and therefore IS NOT a threat to Russia.

Is that clear enough?
Russian missiles can be fired at US military bases in Europe and against European allies of the US.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6340|Éire

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

It's not on the periphery of Russia. It's at least one country removed from Russia in both cases.
In terms of missile range one country away would still count as being on the periphery, given that the countries in question are not that large.

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Haven't we already covered both of those questions enough?
1. Defense against inbound missiles.
2. Rogue states (not Russia).
So it can work on Iranian missiles but not on Russian missiles? What kind of Mickey Mouse system is this? Are you saying that Iran and these other so called rogue nations will hit the US or Europe with their missiles... because quite frankly the idea of them hitting the US is utterly preposterous.

Iranian missiles would have to travel over Russian airspace to hit targets in the US... why not just make a deal with the Russians for them to secure their own air space themselves and guarantee US Security (thus maintaining M.A.D. with the already existing nuclear systems)?

Last edited by Braddock (2008-11-14 03:52:59)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard