ATG
Banned
+5,233|6522|Global Command
Look for any source of political upheaval, look for areas were civilians are being killed for no good reason.

What will you find?

Oil.

Oil companies run our country. They control military policy. They define what new technologies get developed.

I think it's time we set up a guillotine.

Last edited by ATG (2008-10-28 17:03:03)

jsnipy
+3,276|6515|...

What's the debate? Their role or if we need to set up a guillotine or not (or comparable means of killing)?
Icleos
+101|6735
This really isn't any new news...
Most people know oil has been running the show.  It's a perfect example of what happens when something so big blooms from poor to no regulations.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6336|tropical regions of london
CameronPoe
+2,925|6548
That's why I <3 Japan. Who don't just sit there - they try and fucking come up with an alternative. They at least meaningfully try.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-10-28 17:09:41)

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6709
oil is 62 bucks a barrel now... is this part of their record profit plan?   Or was it speculators that drove the price through the roof...?
the oil companies benefited from the speculation obviously... but i don't think they are in control of pricing... ?

Until we all stop using oil...
we will be beholdened to oil companies to a certain degree.....

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2008-10-28 17:11:47)

Love is the answer
CameronPoe
+2,925|6548

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

oil is 62 bucks a barrel now... is this part of their record profit plan?   Or was it speculators that drove the price through the roof...
the oil companies benefited from the speculation obviously... but i don't think they are in control of pricing...

I think the fall in oil price may have had something to do with the gigantic 3-5 year economic depression we are entering...
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6655|USA

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

oil is 62 bucks a barrel now... is this part of their record profit plan?   Or was it speculators that drove the price through the roof...?
the oil companies benefited from the speculation obviously... but i don't think they are in control of pricing... ?

Can't stop using it if all alternatives are sidelined by the people who will lose the most.

Let's dismiss the biggest oil profits in history because the price has dropped.

Th democrat/republican divide will continue so you won't see the man behind the curtain.
Icleos
+101|6735

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Do you honestly think oil would keep draining dollars at the high?
Oil is about profit, profit, profit.  Gas companies have been caught price fixing lots of times.
They're just compensating for the economic hardships we're facing.
If they didn't they would have investigations and the government hounding on their asses again.

Last edited by Icleos (2008-10-28 17:21:25)

deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6485|Connecticut

CameronPoe wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

oil is 62 bucks a barrel now... is this part of their record profit plan?   Or was it speculators that drove the price through the roof...
the oil companies benefited from the speculation obviously... but i don't think they are in control of pricing...

I think the fall in oil price may have had something to do with the gigantic 3-5 year economic depression we are entering...
......that and elections.
Malloy must go
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6522|Global Command

jsnipy wrote:

What's the debate? Their role or if we need to set up a guillotine or not (or comparable means of killing)?
You could try and prove me wrong.

I was talking to an Iranian the other day.
He told me his family had lived for generations in Persia and were well to do, until the British discovered oil, and their country has been torn by various corporate and religious factions ever since.

That's why he moved to L.A. in 1970something. He bought some nice hillside houses, decrepit and worn down. Many of his extended family did the same.

There area is known as Beverly Hills and Brentwood.

Ask those who are in the know, much of the best real estate in L.A. is owned by Persians/Iranians who came here to live the American dream under the Carter Administration.

Life seems to be one big wheel of ass fucking, rolling on and on, crushing innocents and dreams of the masses whilst elevating odd chosen few to live demigod lives.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America

Icleos wrote:

Most people know oil has been running the show.  It's a perfect example of what happens when something so big blooms from poor to no regulations.
Quite true. I'll shamelessly plug Upton Sinclair's Oil! in this topic where much of the oil-wise part of the book deals with buying public officials including the presidency.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

DesertFox- wrote:

Icleos wrote:

Quite true. I'll shamelessly plug Upton Sinclair's Oil! in this topic where much of the oil-wise part of the book deals with buying public officials including the presidency.
There Will Be Blood - loosely based on Oil!.  It's a great book by a great writer.  And you are talking about the Teapot Dome Scandal.

Look at any region with environmental concerns - and you will find political upheaval.  In fact many political clashes are directly related to environmental concerns, whether it be Iraq, Rwanda, Darfur, East Timor, etc.  The allocation and exploitation of resources by government and multinational corporations respectively often goes against what the local populations want.  It isn't just oil companies, either.  You can add the mining industry, aquabusiness, agribusiness (including the beefpacking industry), Industrial manufacturing, Timber industry...the list goes on.  The large consumer demand (mostly from "rich western" countries) for products from the above-mentioned industries helps foment political clashes in far off lands.

PS- ATG, read the book Collapse for good insight.

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2008-10-28 18:19:12)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard