Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

You have been in plenty of fights in your life time? Well, I have only been in 5, I am (4 and 1). You can "get real" by stop trying to tell me how you are going t opause and size up the situation, find out why he is there, if he is armed and what his intentions are. Until you do "get real" your scenarios are bullshit.

Also stop trying to invent a situation where all events lead up to me committing murder if you please, also part of that "get real" thing
You're a rookie... I'm at 15 (12 and 3), though I would rather not be to be quite honest!

You speak as though you know some sort of absolute truth that applies to every break-in scenario, whereas what I'm saying is use as much force as is necessary. If the guy looks like he means business then take him down, if you can make the situation safe with a shot to his leg then do that, if the situation requires more then act accordingly. Similarly, if the guy is having it on his toes and is halfway down the street then it's probably not necessary to kill him... of course there may be special exceptions to this e.g. if you live in the country and are fairly certain the culprit will be back with backup and the cops will not be there before they are (like the Padraig Nally case in Ireland).

At the end of the day though property is not worth a human life. If an intruder is killed because he was a threat to the occupant family I have no sympathy for him... but if he was killed because yer man was annoyed that someone would want to take his TV then it's a sad waste of life (albeit not a very worthy life).
There is an absolute truth, if you break into a home you are a threat to those inside and you have warranted a gun shot wound. Yup and it might even kill you. Nothing else matters.
Lowing, we're not actually that far away from each other's point of view. The only difference is that I feel that if it becomes apparent during the melee that lethal force is not necessary then I will not use lethal force. I may be wrong but it seems like you'd be more keen to just rush in and look for a head shot straight off the bat?

Another factor in my opinion is that I live in Ireland where armed home invasions are incredibly rare so maybe I would share your attitude if I lived in the US.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

You're a rookie... I'm at 15 (12 and 3), though I would rather not be to be quite honest!

You speak as though you know some sort of absolute truth that applies to every break-in scenario, whereas what I'm saying is use as much force as is necessary. If the guy looks like he means business then take him down, if you can make the situation safe with a shot to his leg then do that, if the situation requires more then act accordingly. Similarly, if the guy is having it on his toes and is halfway down the street then it's probably not necessary to kill him... of course there may be special exceptions to this e.g. if you live in the country and are fairly certain the culprit will be back with backup and the cops will not be there before they are (like the Padraig Nally case in Ireland).

At the end of the day though property is not worth a human life. If an intruder is killed because he was a threat to the occupant family I have no sympathy for him... but if he was killed because yer man was annoyed that someone would want to take his TV then it's a sad waste of life (albeit not a very worthy life).
There is an absolute truth, if you break into a home you are a threat to those inside and you have warranted a gun shot wound. Yup and it might even kill you. Nothing else matters.
Lowing, we're not actually that far away from each other's point of view. The only difference is that I feel that if it becomes apparent during the melee that lethal force is not necessary then I will not use lethal force. I may be wrong but it seems like you'd be more keen to just rush in and look for a head shot straight off the bat?

Another factor in my opinion is that I live in Ireland where armed home invasions are incredibly rare so maybe I would share your attitude if I lived in the US.
Fair enough, and you are correct, if I feel threatened ( scared) enough to point  a gun shoot and someone, I will not do so for any other purpose than to kill them. I am not interested in years of court battles, being sued. As it is home defense warrants the killing.

You are also wrong about my valuing a human life. I value my life and my wife and kids lives over everyone else. I put a criminals life somewhere down toward the bottom of the priority list next to car salesmen, real estate agents, lawyers and congressmen.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard