Lieutenant_Jensen
Your cops are corrupt.
+200|6383|fåking denmark
Since I've replaced my broken 8800GT with a Asus HD4850, games haven't actually been running well.
Company of Heroes and World in Conflict are getting BSOD after I've played for 30min+.
In Medal of Honor: Airborne, the lights are all wrong and I can't change any video options, like screen size, etc.

I have updated my video card drivers.

Specs.

Asus P5Q Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
4GB Kingston HyperX
Asus EAH4850
Windows XP w. SP2
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6560|NYC / Hamburg

test your card with furmark or atitool. How are the temps? The stock 4850 cooler sucks, so you'll have to run it pretty fast
What drivers? Try a reinstall
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6189|Winland

PSU? Card fan speed?
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6446|The Twilight Zone
Have you uninstalled nvidia drivers before installing Ati drivers?
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Lieutenant_Jensen
Your cops are corrupt.
+200|6383|fåking denmark

max wrote:

test your card with furmark or atitool. How are the temps? The stock 4850 cooler sucks, so you'll have to run it pretty fast
Oh forgot, have the TOP edition, comes with a fancy fan.

The driver I got is the Catalyst 8.10.

Freezer7Pro wrote:

PSU? Card fan speed?
My PSU is the Corsair VX550W
According to GPU-Z, the tempature of the GPU is around 60C. Not sure about the fan speed.

.Sup wrote:

Have you uninstalled nvidia drivers before installing Ati drivers?
Yes.
.Sup
be nice
Try an older driver or a new one. The newest ATI driver was released yesterday (nvidia's also) and use Driver cleaner to remove old driver stamps before installing new ones.
Lieutenant_Jensen
Your cops are corrupt.
+200|6383|fåking denmark

.Sup wrote:

Try an older driver or a new one. The newest ATI driver was released yesterday (nvidia's also) and use Driver cleaner to remove old driver stamps before installing new ones.
It didn't work with 8.9 neither.
.Sup
be nice

Lieutenant_Jensen wrote:

.Sup wrote:

8.10 are the newest ones
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
Lieutenant_Jensen
Your cops are corrupt.
+200|6383|fåking denmark

.Sup wrote:

Lieutenant_Jensen wrote:

.Sup wrote:

8.10 are the newest ones
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
8.10 is the one I have now. Games don't work.
8.9 is the one I updated from. Games don't work.
EDIT: Tempatures are around 60-70C in-game.

Last edited by Lieutenant_Jensen (2008-10-17 09:38:26)

mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6591|S.C.
oh non-cooled GDDR, my suggestion is get a refund and buy a different card. If you can not change do the RMA and buy some low profile ramsinks. Also it might be worth running memtest86+ just to make sure it's not your ram.
https://img413.imageshack.us/img413/658/asustopeu8.png

Last edited by mikeyb118 (2008-10-17 09:42:02)

Lieutenant_Jensen
Your cops are corrupt.
+200|6383|fåking denmark

mikeyb118 wrote:

oh non-cooled GDDR, my suggestion is get a refund and buy a different card. If you can not change do the RMA and buy some low profile ramsinks. Also it might be worth running memtest86+ just to make sure it's not your ram.

ig wrote:

wat
I have tried taking out RAM sticks and switching them around. Nothing changed.
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6591|S.C.
Brasso
+1,549|6623

is there power going to the 6-pin plug?
is the card in the slot correctly?  reseat it.
those temperatures aren't too bad, but i'd try raising the fan speed.

mikeyb118 wrote:

buy some low profile ramsinks.
what mikey is saying is to buy ramsinks for the vRAM.  on the 4850.  with that picture he posted, do you see exposed black chips like that?  or are they covered with some sort of heatsink?  if it's exposed, better buy some ramsinks - don't forget to get some for the uhh....other thing.  forgot what it's called.  MOSFET or PWM or something like that - it's a pretty tiny black chip like the vRAM as well.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6728|Salt Lake City

1. Install Driver Cleaner.
2. Uninstall all ATi and NV drivers from Control Panel/Add Remove Programs.
3. Boot to Safe Mode and run DC to remove all instances of ATi and NV drivers.
4. Reboot and reinstall the latest Catalyst drivers.

I always do this when switching out video cards, especially when changing between chip makers.
Brasso
+1,549|6623

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

1. Install Driver Cleaner.
2. Uninstall all ATi and NV drivers from Control Panel/Add Remove Programs.
3. Boot to Safe Mode and run DC to remove all instances of ATi and NV drivers.
4. Reboot and reinstall the latest Catalyst drivers.

I always do this when switching out video cards, especially when changing between chip makers.
i did not even think about that.  try this first OP.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-10-17 12:11:12)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
CrazeD
+368|6665|Maine
If you didn't up the fan speed, do so! The HD4850 stock fan only goes to like 24% ever, and it gets very hot.

Download RivaTuner and up the fan speed to 100%, or whatever you like.
Lieutenant_Jensen
Your cops are corrupt.
+200|6383|fåking denmark

CrazeD wrote:

If you didn't up the fan speed, do so! The HD4850 stock fan only goes to like 24% ever, and it gets very hot.

Lieutenant_Jensen wrote:

max wrote:

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6189|Winland

Lieutenant_Jensen wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Lieutenant_Jensen wrote:

max wrote:

pics
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Lieutenant_Jensen
Your cops are corrupt.
+200|6383|fåking denmark

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Lieutenant_Jensen wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Lieutenant_Jensen wrote:

pics
This is the card I got.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6189|Winland

Lieutenant_Jensen wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Lieutenant_Jensen wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

pics
This is the card I got.
There, no RAMsinks.
Lieutenant_Jensen
Your cops are corrupt.
+200|6383|fåking denmark

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Lieutenant_Jensen wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

pics
This is the card I got.
There, no RAMsinks.
That is the problem?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6189|Winland

Lieutenant_Jensen wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Lieutenant_Jensen wrote:

This is the card I got.
There, no RAMsinks.
That is the problem?
Wouldn't be surprised if those chips are overheating. Put a finger on one when running Furmark.
Mugen
+19|5991
they could overheat

had the same problem with a shitty msi. worst brand ever because of low quality components.
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6106|SC | USA |
A common mistake when thinking about GFX temps. The Core is not the only temperature that needs to be looked after.

Either try to find low profile ramsinks to fit under that fan, or return it for a different version.

You get what you pay for tbh.
.Sup
be nice

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

A common mistake when thinking about GFX temps. The Core is not the only temperature that needs to be looked after.

Either try to find low profile ramsinks to fit under that fan, or return it for a different version.

You get what you pay for tbh.
EVGA is they way to go amirite?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard