Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Power needs to be checked. This could be a person managing the local union (they are elected) .. or a corporate fat cat whose whole point of existence is to cut corners. If you are relying on the good will of corporate America.. or even more laughable bureaucratic legislation then you are either blind or kidding yourself. There are laws in place for certain safety issues, but even today people often let things go for fear of retribution. If you've ever held a management position in a big company then you know there is no such thing as anonymous.
Those that force workers to unionize in order to gain employment are generally frowned upon (Teamsters/UAW/etc are examples of this).
Teamsters do not force you to join. That is up to the state.  In fact most workers don't even know if you have joined or not. When I was a supervisor I would discipline employees and the union stewards would sit in even though the person getting written up wasn't even a union member. It was kinda funny tbh.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6651|USA
I would tell you what I thought of unions but I am afraid of having my tires cut, rocks thrown at me, and death threats made to me by "the brotherhood"
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6492|Connecticut
Unions are like excesive taint hair on a humid day.

Unnecessary, full of shit and surrounded by dicks and assholes.
Malloy must go
imortal
+240|6664|Austin, TX

Kmarion wrote:

Must be why UPS has over a quarter million employees. Employees that have better benefits and better pay than their competitors.. while remain very profitable.
Yes, UPS pays better, but FedEx has air conditioning in their trucks.  Here in Texas, it becomes a toss-up.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

imortal wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Must be why UPS has over a quarter million employees. Employees that have better benefits and better pay than their competitors.. while remain very profitable.
Yes, UPS pays better, but FedEx has air conditioning in their trucks.  Here in Texas, it becomes a toss-up.
FedEx drivers have to maintain their own trucks, pay for their routes, and put there own fuel in there vehicles. It's no toss up at all. I got along with the Fedex driver on my route. He told me that if he could get in at top pay he'd jump companies in an instant.

I used to tell drivers to drive around in circles with the doors open .. voila, AC.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6290|Éire
There are some good answers in this thread, particularly from FEOS and Kmarion and others who have discussed the topic in three dimensional terms! There is no easy answer one way or another on the issue regarding unions because there is such a gulf between what a union is meant to be and what many unions actually have turned out to be. At a fundamental level a union should never become something in and of itself, a self perpetuating golem if you will. It should be an arm of the workers and not a stick to beat both workers and management with. It should benefit the interests of both workers and management.

They may be far from perfect but while bad management continues to exist they are a necessary evil.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6290|Éire
Btw there is a great film from the writer of Taxi Driver about corrupt unions starring Harvey Keitel and Richard Pryor called Blue Collar which I would highly recommend to any film buffs out there.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard