Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5418|London, England

Uzique wrote:

maybe don't make it your business to belittle intellectualism and academia, then - as you have done in multiple threads - if, by your own admission, it is precisely "none of your business".
When have I done it recently? Live your life however you want. I don't care what degree you get, it's largely irrelevant anyway. Generic liberal arts degree just means you'll have to be fully trained by whatever company hires you. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but you'll face a lot more competition for jobs than I will.

Your degree doesn't preclude success, it just makes it more difficult initially.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6530
lol i guess you forgot that time yesterday you were like "don't english departments just research the use of the comma?" and got totally shown up. and yeah, i know that. i don't mind that at all. i spent 3 years opening my mind and reading stuff i was immensely interested in, as opposed to learning supply-demand curves from textbooks. in the context of an entire career, being trained by a company in your early 20's is hardly a disastrous set-back. i picked up plenty of other skills and refinements through an academic research degree, not necessarily immediately pertinent to 'business' or the corporate world, but hella beneficial for personal reliance and initiative. best of both worlds, imo.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-12-17 08:59:29)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

lol i guess you forgot that time yesterday you were like "don't english departments just research the use of the comma?" and got totally shown up. and yeah, i know that. i don't mind that at all. i spent 3 years opening my mind and reading stuff i was immensely interested in, as opposed to learning supply-demand curves from textbooks. in the context of an entire career, being trained by a company in your early 20's is hardly a disastrous set-back. i picked up plenty of other skills and refinements through an academic research degree, not necessarily immediately pertinent to 'business' or the corporate world, but hella beneficial for personal reliance and initiative. best of both worlds, imo.
That was real uzique. I was genuinely interested to hear what an english department could possibly research. I couldn't for the life of me think of anything except seeking old forgotten books, but I guess that would fall under Library Science.

It's not disastrous to need training in normal times, but today, it kind of is a big deal to have no training or experience.

Last edited by Jay (2011-12-17 09:02:19)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6530
that's why smart and intelligent and driven and high-achieving undergraduates get corporate experience whilst also pursuing their studies.

dun dun dunnnn

SCIENCE
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5533|Ventura, California

-Whiteroom- wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

She's not literally insane as in therapist crazy but she's messed up mentally (her upbringing and personality.) 
So are you though, is this one of those takes one to know one things?
I believe there's a God and my morals are different. My beliefs differ from yours. How does that make me messed up like her? I don't stalk people, I don't invent random bullshit excuses to get everybody out of the room so I can be with that person, I don't get pissed off if the person I like isn't spending ever waking moment of their day with me, I don't get mad at other people for talking to him, etc.

So, 'So are you though' is quite off the mark.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5319|foggy bottom

Jay wrote:

Uzique wrote:

That was real uzique. I was genuinely interested to hear what an english department could possibly research. I couldn't for the life of me think of anything except seeking old forgotten books, but I guess that would fall under Library Science.

It's not disastrous to need training in normal times, but today, it kind of is a big deal to have no training or experience.
law schools prefer degrees like english and philosophy
Tu Stultus Es
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5848|Catherine Black
hey shifty you never did answer me, can you drive a manual gearbox?
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6530

eleven bravo wrote:

Jay wrote:

Uzique wrote:

cause they actually require academic intelligence. most vocational degrees just require you to be able to memorize a textbook for an exam. they also have the added benefit of producing students that can actually think analytically, argue well, are versed in rhetoric, and can actually fucking write.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-12-17 11:28:25)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

Finray wrote:

hey shifty you never did answer me, can you drive a manual gearbox?
Yep, that's what I learned to drive on. I hate automatics.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5848|Catherine Black
wow okay I eat my words, good job
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Thanks

Honestly though, I see no reason people should use automatics. They're more expensive to purchase, more expensive to repair, you get less control over the vehicle, it breaks down more, you can't start a car going down a hill when your battery is out, etc. etc. etc.

I'll be moving to Texas soon. How're the girls over there?

Last edited by -Sh1fty- (2011-12-17 12:15:54)

HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5544|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Uzique wrote:

what so you think you have more chances of a career than me, when i have a degree and you have a high-school diploma?

like literally what the fuck are you talking about, mong
im like, younger than you, man
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6251|Roma

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Thanks

Honestly though, I see no reason people should use automatics. They're more expensive to purchase, more expensive to repair, you get less control over the vehicle, it breaks down more, you can't start a car going down a hill when your battery is out, etc. etc. etc.
Yeah but you can do the sick gangsta lean with only needing one hand to drive.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

Jay wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Well, that's their foundation. My best friend is in law school right now and he said his English degree is actually a huge help for him since he's already used to writing a lot. It's a completely different writing style though.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6530

HaiBai wrote:

Uzique wrote:

what so you think you have more chances of a career than me, when i have a degree and you have a high-school diploma?

like literally what the fuck are you talking about, mong
im like, younger than you, man
you're the one making statements about life success, not me. i'm merely asking you to explain.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6530

Jay wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Jay wrote:

Well, that's their foundation. My best friend is in law school right now and he said his English degree is actually a huge help for him since he's already used to writing a lot. It's a completely different writing style though.
an english degree is more help towards higher academic study than merely being able to "write a lot". i think you constantly and pitifully misunderstand what a literature degree actually entails. didn't your fiancee get one? can't she open your eyes to the hardcore academics of it? or did she go to a shitty vocational college as well?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

Jay wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

an english degree is more help towards higher academic study than merely being able to "write a lot". i think you constantly and pitifully misunderstand what a literature degree actually entails. didn't your fiancee get one? can't she open your eyes to the hardcore academics of it? or did she go to a shitty vocational college as well?
Umm, the amount of work I did for my degree held her in awe. I doubt she would call her degree 'hardcore academic' after having a basis for comparison...

The only reason my friend is going to law school is because he felt like he totally wasted his time earning the English degree. He's a genuinely bright guy but he had zero job prospects and no hope for the lifestyle he wanted. He kicked around from job to job for seven years before he finally got sick of it and applied.

Whatever. I really don't give a fuck about you or your degree. I don't know why you constantly feel the need to justify your decisions.

Edit - Also, how is going to law school in any way higher academic study? It is precisely the vocational school you despise so much.

Last edited by Jay (2011-12-17 13:41:27)

-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5319|foggy bottom
well one reason law schools like those kinds of degrees are for the analytical skills that are really important in law.   Philosophy majors score the highest on average for the lsat.  Crim justice on the very bottom.
Tu Stultus Es
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6777|Riva, MD

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Thanks

I'll be moving to Texas soon. How're the girls over there?
Automatics allow you to not give much more of an extra shit about driving if you don't want to, and you can still put an automatic in neutral without battery power on most automatic transmissions if not all so I'm not sure what you're talking about with rolling it down a hill.

And Texas girls are probably nice and conservative Christians for you, lol
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

well one reason law schools like those kinds of degrees are for the analytical skills that are really important in law.   Philosophy majors score the highest on average for the lsat.  Crim justice on the very bottom.
Makes sense to me
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6797|Oxferd Ohire
jesus shifty you even know fuck all about cars
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6799|Toronto | Canada

manual is the hipster of car transmissions.  why would i want something to be more difficult? technology is supposed to make my life easier
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6560|so randum
but manual isn't hard??
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
gurdeep
­
+812|4815|proll­y
not hard, just more work. id only want it if i had a sick sports car
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Winston_Churchill wrote:

manual is the hipster of car transmissions.  why would i want something to be more difficult? technology is supposed to make my life easier
It depends. If it's a sports car, there's no comparison. If it's just a shitbox commuter car that you use to get from point A to point B, then there's no point. You do get better gas mileage with a manual though.
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard