capt. crunch
+8|6454|that place
I have been considering upgrading my cpu and was wondering if it was worth going to quad core? I currently have a dual core Intel 3.0 overclocked to 3.45. I will later be adding a better video card and going to Vista with 3GB of ram. Any suggestions? Thanx for the help/input.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6158|what

You'd be better go have 4gb of ram with vista. I'd suggest two blocks of 2gig rather than 3 slots of 1gb.

What video card are you in the market for? A Geforce 8800gt isn't going to be bottle necked by a 3.45 dual core at all.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6572|NYC / Hamburg

if you're gaming no. If you do rendering / encoding / folding@home it is. I don't think a CPU upgrade is worth it for you. What do you have in there atm?
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6202|Winland

Specs. "Intel 3.0 dual core" doesn't say anything.

When are you people gonna learn?
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
capt. crunch
+8|6454|that place
I am geared towards gaming and looking at the 8800 or 8600 series. I currently have 3.0 ocd to 3.45 2GB Ram and 6800GT on XP Pro. I'm wanting to more gaming besides BF2 and I know this setup won't help me with direct X 10 stuff. So does Vista use the whole 4gb?
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6554|UK

capt. crunch wrote:

I am geared towards gaming and looking at the 8800 or 8600 series. I currently have 3.0 ocd to 3.45 2GB Ram and 6800GT on XP Pro. I'm wanting to more gaming besides BF2 and I know this setup won't help me with direct X 10 stuff. So does Vista use the whole 4gb?
You have a 3.0 what?  E8400?  E6850?  Or even an AMD cpu?

Last edited by Bell (2008-10-08 06:39:08)

capt. crunch
+8|6454|that place
E8400 with a GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L mobo.

All I'm wanting to know is should I go quad or stay with what I got?
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6554|UK

capt. crunch wrote:

For gaming just keep that.  Put the extra cash into a nice video card and 2x2GB of RAM.

Last edited by Bell (2008-10-08 06:43:25)

capt. crunch
+8|6454|that place
Ok thanx, so does Vista use 4GB?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6158|what

Bell wrote:

capt. crunch wrote:

For gaming just keep that.  Put the extra cash into a nice video card and 2x2GB of RAM.
That's what I said in post #2.

capt. crunch wrote:

Yes.

Freezer7Pro wrote:

lol

Last edited by TheAussieReaper (2008-10-08 06:47:21)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
capt. crunch
+8|6454|that place
Well thanx guys, sorry I'm a lil slow this morning.
baggs
+732|6209

capt. crunch wrote:

Well thanx guys, sorry I'm a lil slow this morning.
Spread them some karma loving and i'm sure they'll forgive you, tho the pro tip in any tech section is that the abudance of accurate information is king and also reading and understanding what these guys post is also helpful to your cause
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6202|Winland

TheAussieReaper wrote:

capt. crunch wrote:

Yes.
IF IT IS THE 64-BIT VERSION! THE 32-BIT VERSION CAN'T USE EVEN A BIT MORE THAN 32-BIT XP!

Vista. Is. Not. Magical! God.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)

capt. crunch wrote:

Should you stay or should you go now?
If you stay there will be trouble.
If you go it will be double...

(or something like that)

Oh, and I'd go Quad, but that's just me - as I think it was max said - it all depends on what you do with your PC and how soon in the future you're likely to want to upgrade again...

OH, and Freezer - do we have to go there (32bit OS and 4GB RAM) again????
jaymz9350
+54|6582

Freezer7Pro wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

capt. crunch wrote:

Yes.
IF IT IS THE 64-BIT VERSION! THE 32-BIT VERSION CAN'T USE EVEN A BIT MORE THAN 32-BIT XP!

It still uses most of the 4 gig.  With as cheap as ram is why not get 4 gig even if you're on 32 bit?  So you lose .75 gig or so of your 4 gig, you still have 1.25 more than with 2 gig for little extra $ and 32 bit vista uses more resources  than xp so it doesn't hurt having more than 2 gig.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6202|Winland

jaymz9350 wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Yes.

It still uses most of the 4 gig.  With as cheap as ram is why not get 4 gig even if you're on 32 bit?  So you lose .75 gig or so of your 4 gig, you still have 1.25 more than with 2 gig for little extra $ and 32 bit vista uses more resources  than xp so it doesn't hurt having more than 2 gig.
Yes, I know that, but people live in the illusion that every dist of Vista can use 4GB RAM to it's fullest, which is 100% untrue.

@Scorp: He has a graphics card, and they're talking about system RAM. Silly pedants.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)

Freezer7Pro wrote:

jaymz9350 wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Yes, I know that, but people live in the illusion that every dist of Vista can use 4GB RAM to it's fullest, which is 100% untrue.

@Scorp: He has a graphics card, and they're talking about system RAM. Silly pedants.
And some people live in the illusion that if you have a 32bit system with 3x1GB dimms installed, there's no point in buying another 1GB dimm.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-10-08 10:12:45)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6202|Winland

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

jaymz9350 wrote:

And some people live in the illusion that if you have a 32bit system with 3x1GB dimms installed, there's no point in buying another 1GB dimm.
True. Let's fix both in another bolded, capitalized line:

A 32BIT SYSTEM WILL NOT USE THE FULL 4GB OF SYSTEM MEMORY IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER RAM INSTALLED TO ANY DEVICE!
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6586|SE London

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

A 32BIT SYSTEM WILL NOT USE THE FULL 4GB OF SYSTEM MEMORY IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER RAM INSTALLED TO ANY DEVICE!
Doesn't have to be RAM installed on other devices. All hardware is interfaced through memory addresses. Therefore all hardware is, in essence, seen as memory and uses some of the available 4GB of memory addresses that a 32-bit OS can see.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)

Bertster7 wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Doesn't have to be RAM installed on other devices. All hardware is interfaced through memory addresses. Therefore all hardware is, in essence, seen as memory and uses some of the available 4GB of memory addresses that a 32-bit OS can see.
PEDANT!
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6586|SE London

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

PEDANT!

It was in bold. You've gotta be pedantic about stuff written in bold. It's the rules.

Anyway, that's a bit rich coming from you:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

That's what LAN was invented for in the first place, you know
LOL.

Sort of, but, actually, not exactly.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2008-10-08 11:34:24)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)

Bertster7 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

PEDANT!

It was in bold. You've gotta be pedantic about stuff written in bold. It's the rules.

Anyway, that's a bit rich coming from you:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

That's what LAN was invented for in the first place, you know
LOL.

Sort of, but, actually, not exactly.
I know, I know - me crying "PEDANT!" is like lowing crying "RACIST!"...

*ducks and covers*
Defiance
+438|6676

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Because they're not on here as much as you. They don't know as much as you. They're here to ask questions and if they knew exactly how you thought they wouldn't have to. You ought to reconsider the business of helping people.

Also, pedants lead to interesting conversation.
Brasso
+1,549|6635

Defiance wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Because they're not on here as much as you. They don't know as much as you. They're here to ask questions and if they knew exactly how you thought they wouldn't have to. You ought to reconsider the business of helping people.
he's talking about posting full specs though.

when asking for help, ALWAYS post full specs.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6202|Winland

haffeysucks wrote:

Defiance wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

he's talking about posting full specs though.

when asking for help, ALWAYS post full specs.
Exactly. There's even a sticky about it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard