MTNMAC
+6|6530
I'll be the first to admit that I know little to nothing about computers, but I'm not a total jackass. BF2 was working fine until yesterday, in the middle of a round. The screen and sound froze, and a bunch of large blue black pixels and lines appeared, and the image became fuzzy. No response from the keyboard or mouse. Then the monitor shuts down, and begins alternating between analog and digital. I wish I could get a screen shot to show you exactly what I am talking about, but nothing would respond. I had to manually shut down and restart. I've attempted in single-player also, with the same results. My sorry specs follow:

HP Pavilion Slimline s3200t
Vista Home Premium
250GB 7200RPM SATA 3GB/S HD
128 MB NVIDIA GEFORCE 8300 GS
2GB DDR2 667MHZ DUAL CHANNEL SDRAM
INTEL CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR E4500 (2.2 GHZ)
SAMSUNG SyncMaster 731BF Monitor

Not sure what else you might need to know. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MTNMAC
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6793|Your moms bedroom
fans stop working on vid card?
MTNMAC
+6|6530
I don't think so, though I'm not 100% sure. I'll try to crack this thing open and see. Sound like an overheating problem to you?
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6793|Your moms bedroom

MTNMAC wrote:

I don't think so, though I'm not 100% sure. I'll try to crack this thing open and see. Sound like an overheating problem to you?
same thing happened to me. vid card was messing up, fan was clogged with dust
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5870|Vancouver, BC, Canada
Mhmm.

Although mine behaved differently, I was doing something, then BAM image froze, after a reboot my vid card started squealing, but no picture.

After taking it out, I realized that when I first put the card in, I broke off 2 fins on the fan, thus the bearings wore out in 6 months.

I took out the fan, and it works for now, but I plan on replacing the "Heatsink" that the fan attached to with a big huge one that I pulled off an el-cheapo $12 eBay card.
I just gotta get my arse off my chair and to get some Arctic silver.

It's a 7300GS BTW.
MTNMAC
+6|6530
That was the fix. Opened the computer up and pulled out 10 lbs of dust. Used a delicate paint brush to clean the dust out, but it was painstaking. I used canned air on my last computer, put it back together, and nothing, so i am skiddish about using the stuff. Any other good suggestions to help with cleaning? Thanks Locoloki.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|6057|CA
Canned Air/Air Compressor works well to blow out of hard-to-reach places.  Other then that, a soft rag or brush like you used does the trick usually.  It's suggested that you dust your computer every two months or so to avoid build-up.

I'd Google it for more tips, as well.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard