KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Is anyone really the arbiter of what should and shouldn't have ketchup put on it - or in a posh restaurant, next to it?
My little sister puts ketchup on steak. So does Trump. You shouldn't put anything on steak.
several sauces or seasonings are acceptable on steak. chimichurri is great, i highly recommend it.

isn't ketchup just molasses with red food colouring? i don't think i have ever eaten ketchup in my life.
Ketchup was originally fish guts and spices. I learned that yesterday

Also same. Not a big condiment guy. No ketchup, no watery yellow mustard, no jarred mayo. My palate is R E F I N E D
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Is anyone really the arbiter of what should and shouldn't have ketchup put on it - or in a posh restaurant, next to it?
My little sister puts ketchup on steak. So does Trump. You shouldn't put anything on steak.
several sauces or seasonings are acceptable on steak. chimichurri is great, i highly recommend it.

isn't ketchup just molasses with red food colouring? i don't think i have ever eaten ketchup in my life.
If a steak is cooked properly you shouldn't need any sauce.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3448
you need to get right with bernaise.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
I had a pregnancy craving for BBQ the other day. I am going to miss the hole in the wall mom and pop BBQ place in my hometown now that the COVID got them.
https://s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/eSwkvMVmVwbFhVq9VS1Pww/l.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5353|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Why do they call it craft beer? And why do people like traveling long distances to drink it a hispter bars?
Because it's "handcrafted" in small batches rather than mass produced in gigantic breweries. It's getting a bit blurry though, because Stone has become massive but I'd still call them craft.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6101|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

Its mostly tomato sauce and vinegar, outside america at least.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Larssen
+99|1883

uziq wrote:

larssen i don't think cooking is 'lesser' because it's not an art. i respect cooking. please don't be so mad at me. cooking creates its worst follies when it pretends to be art. it's when you get terrible restaurants charging obscene money for prix fixe menus, frothing strawberries and serving it with halibut, or presenting abstract expressionist art of jus and syrup on a plate the size of a child's sled. it's stupid. it is plainly pretentious.

yes there is room to be creative and innovative within crafts. but the idea is you are following a template. major departures from that template and you end up with disgusting food -- or a different recipe. again, there is nothing lesser in something being a 'craft' than an 'art'. they are side-by-side activities. i am not denigrating the creativity and excellence that goes into a good restaurant service. but pretending something is an art just leads to fatuous results. and chef's with white-ringed nostrils and very very big egos. chef's are not poets of the root vegetable. they are well-practiced craftsmen. of course any person who master's a craft gets to a level where they then invent their own blueprints, to be copied in turn. that's the nature of craft.

all this talk is making me very hungry. FOR THE AESTHETIC SUBLIME
Literally all of this can be applied to architecture or to furniture design. Anyway, saying food CAN be art doesn't mean paying the same price as you did for your shoes for a halibut with strawberry on top is defensible. There are definitely ways in which a restaurant experience or just contact with totally new foods and cooking can do what you desire from art, to then say 'it can't be art' is a bit nonsensical. But let's be clear that simply the food itself cannot achieve that. If you sit in a dark room eating takeout curry it'll be a little different from eating one in a remote village in india. So too there are art exhibitions that depend on their surroundings to make it click. But hey, I'll leave you to your opinion, it's not going to change anything in my day.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

a world-renowned what now? some tenured cuckoo cawing on about 'plating rituals in the auvergne' being art? ok bro. i'm over here with Kant. he's got a really big brain and you don't.

It's like saying a painting is but a few lines on a canvas, what is there to enjoy or learn. You disappoint me yet again.
everything can be reduced down to its constituent parts you simpleton. the point is that a painting expresses something higher, in and of itself, and is intended to make you reflect on something autonomous. a painting has its own telos. i hope you know more than one greek word. look it up.

but keep knocking out those carbonaras and kidding yourself that you're fucking de chirico or whatever. i bet you close your eyes and think really hard and deep when checking whether you've achieved the desired al dente pasta. don't forget to light some candles and play some mood music so you can turn it into a real ~artistic experience~
Is this art?

https://i0.wp.com/makezine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Screen-Shot-2015-12-30-at-9.32.45-AM.png?resize=620%2C350&ssl=1
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3448
no but, for all his hipster sleights, i can bet you larssen has spent more time in coffee shops getting metrosexual latte art and instagramming about it than i ever have.
uziq
+492|3448

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

larssen i don't think cooking is 'lesser' because it's not an art. i respect cooking. please don't be so mad at me. cooking creates its worst follies when it pretends to be art. it's when you get terrible restaurants charging obscene money for prix fixe menus, frothing strawberries and serving it with halibut, or presenting abstract expressionist art of jus and syrup on a plate the size of a child's sled. it's stupid. it is plainly pretentious.

yes there is room to be creative and innovative within crafts. but the idea is you are following a template. major departures from that template and you end up with disgusting food -- or a different recipe. again, there is nothing lesser in something being a 'craft' than an 'art'. they are side-by-side activities. i am not denigrating the creativity and excellence that goes into a good restaurant service. but pretending something is an art just leads to fatuous results. and chef's with white-ringed nostrils and very very big egos. chef's are not poets of the root vegetable. they are well-practiced craftsmen. of course any person who master's a craft gets to a level where they then invent their own blueprints, to be copied in turn. that's the nature of craft.

all this talk is making me very hungry. FOR THE AESTHETIC SUBLIME
Literally all of this can be applied to architecture or to furniture design. Anyway, saying food CAN be art doesn't mean paying the same price as you did for your shoes for a halibut with strawberry on top is defensible. There are definitely ways in which a restaurant experience or just contact with totally new foods and cooking can do what you desire from art, to then say 'it can't be art' is a bit nonsensical. But let's be clear that simply the food itself cannot achieve that. If you sit in a dark room eating takeout curry it'll be a little different from eating one in a remote village in india. So too there are art exhibitions that depend on their surroundings to make it click. But hey, I'll leave you to your opinion, it's not going to change anything in my day.
you're going straight to hell when you find out that it's not st peter at the pearly gates but WALTER PATER
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Why do they call it craft beer? And why do people like traveling long distances to drink it a hispter bars?
Because it's "handcrafted" in small batches rather than mass produced in gigantic breweries. It's getting a bit blurry though, because Stone has become massive but I'd still call them craft.
ya i just looked it up and realized i was referring to "microbrews" as opposed to craft beer.

My friend used to be a master brewer for Stone. Now he has his own spot:

https://tarantulahillbrewingco.com/
Larssen
+99|1883

uziq wrote:

you're going straight to hell when you find out that it's not st peter at the pearly gates but WALTER PATER
if there's an englishman waiting for me at the gates of heaven i'm doing a 180 to nope right the fuck out of there. nothing good can come of that.

uziq wrote:

no but, for all his hipster sleights, i can bet you larssen has spent more time in coffee shops getting metrosexual latte art and instagramming about it than i ever have.
That's an awful lot of projection

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-22 17:29:17)

uziq
+492|3448
terrible branding. the only time i want to think about tarantula's near my mouth is when i'm dating women from the south asian continent with edifying attitudes towards bodily hair.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

We add sugar.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

We add sugar.
Its why you're all so fat.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

uziq wrote:

terrible branding. the only time i want to think about tarantula's near my mouth is when i'm dating women from the south asian continent with edifying attitudes towards bodily hair.
Tarantula Hill is the city's landmark. People love it.

I had something queued up about how brewing beer is an art but i can't be bothered.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

We add sugar.
Americans do add sugar to everything. Even our sliced bread has added sugar.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

ya i just looked it up and realized i was referring to "microbrews" as opposed to craft beer.

My friend used to be a master brewer for Stone. Now he has his own spot:

https://tarantulahillbrewingco.com/
I've seen some of their stuff before.

Stone's Russian Imperial Stout is my favorite beer of all time. Second pick would be Kostritzer.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

We add sugar.
One of many reasons, yes.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3448
sugar can be fairly inconspicuous in some forms. it's the corn syrup that's really doing you in.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Sugar is sugar whether it is sucrose, fructose or glucose. They all produce an insulin spike and cause weight gain.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3448
yes, i mean more like, a tablespoon of sugar in tea is a fairly harmless form. you see how much you're putting in, and you're drinking tea.

shitloads of corn syrup in everyday items means you are unwittingly killing yourself.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its funny

"Would sir like a desert spoon of sugar on his burger"
"Erm, no thanks"
"How about some ketchup then?"
"Oooh yes please!"
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

yes, i mean more like, a tablespoon of sugar in tea is a fairly harmless form. you see how much you're putting in, and you're drinking tea.

shitloads of corn syrup in everyday items means you are unwittingly killing yourself.
Luckily I never really had a sweet tooth. My prior weight gain had more to do with over-consumption of bread and bread-like products than anything else I think. Starting your day with a sandwich, eating a sandwich for lunch, and then having a carb heavy dinner will do it.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3448
my only impression and memory of american bread is that it is incredibly sweet and basically candied carbs.

bread is pretty bad for you, though, yeah. i have a very high metabolism so carbs don't worry me too much. running helps. i only consume bread 2-3 times a week, i guess. and then it's seeded farmhouse or something like that.

i have an incredible sweet tooth so i have to avoid it, or i'll binge. i'm sure the dopamine impulse control at work is the same thing that leads me down chemical yellow brick roads.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard