uziq
+492|3451

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I refer to myself as a foodie because I like food. I like experiencing different ways to eat the same dishes. I like going out and trying new and novel restaurants. Its a way to distinguish from someone like Macbeth who eats for sustenance.

I'm not going on yelp and writing 4 page reviews about the egg roll I just ate (although i did once as a complete satire and got banned from yelp as a result), but I am going to tell you about the restaurant down the block that makes the most amazing pupusas
i can't be bothered to go in on foodies. they are objects of scorn for all the well-rehearsed reasons.

'food' as culture is valid. it's the centre-piece of domestic and family life, cultural get-togethers, etc. it clearly has some social valence. we bond over food. food is important. it's more than just thin gruel we use to literally get requisite calories. there is culture to food, i'll grant that.

but 'foodies' just abstract it, as if being able to taste nice things and appreciate them is some sort of refinement. you have a tongue. you can tell between a well-done dish and a bad one. i mean congrats? it just seems like such a silly thing to elevate into a pursuit. there's no spiritual or intellectual content there. and don't even get me started on people who can't eat at a nice restaurant without letting everyone fucking know about it. 'i've got a booking at ...'. here's my 12 instagram photos of every course at ... . it's like the anti-thesis of food. you pay all that money to go to a nice restaurant to be catered to and enjoy an evening with friends. whyyyy foodies, whyyyy
Larssen
+99|1886

uziq wrote:

i respect cooking. i like it. it's a good hobby. but it's a craft. people telling themselves that cooking is 'creative' and 'expressive' are like people who label themselves 'foodies'. you want to know why people label themselves foodies? because it gives them a patina of sophistication and culture. like people who fuss over wine and make it their entire identity.

i'm sorry but everyone on the planet needs food to survive. everybody cooks the same meals, more or less. the reason that 'foodie' culture is so popular now is because, of all 'cultural' activities, it's the one with the very lowest bar of entry. you don't need a fucking chisel and a stand, do you? you need a tongue and nose and basic sense-apparatus and an ability to go 'mmmm! me likey!' wow such an art.
Food is very expressive. It's one of the most important things we do and often core to people's cultural identities. There is no immigrant family anywhere in the world that doesn't see its culinary background as important to their being and heritage. Honestly I recommend you watch dave chang's 2 seasons of ugly delicious because he really goes into this in detail and makes a lot of good points, also on whether or not food is an art.

But just as a case in point the people in spain didn't come up with iberico ham because they treated food as a simple craft only to feed people. Making food that's delicious is obviously the point - but there's so much variation and a million ways you can get to that point. Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat is also a good series and one thing that'll strike you is that different cultures have developed thousands of ways to create unique flavours in their dishes.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-22 16:00:39)

uziq
+492|3451

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

i respect cooking. i like it. it's a good hobby. but it's a craft. people telling themselves that cooking is 'creative' and 'expressive' are like people who label themselves 'foodies'. you want to know why people label themselves foodies? because it gives them a patina of sophistication and culture. like people who fuss over wine and make it their entire identity.

i'm sorry but everyone on the planet needs food to survive. everybody cooks the same meals, more or less. the reason that 'foodie' culture is so popular now is because, of all 'cultural' activities, it's the one with the very lowest bar of entry. you don't need a fucking chisel and a stand, do you? you need a tongue and nose and basic sense-apparatus and an ability to go 'mmmm! me likey!' wow such an art.
Kind of like audiophiles?
absolutely. i mean what sort of a nonsense phrase is 'the art of listening to music'?

there's a science of acoustics, i'll say that. getting the optimal speaker and sound set-up for your room. maximising quality. but an 'art' to 'appreciating' music?

there the comparison ends. music is meant to express something higher, you know, jay. that's why it's indisputably an Art. what does a well-made carbonara express?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
Most male chefs are homos. I am not watching some homo cook.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3451

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

Food is very expressive. It's one of the most important things we do and often core to people's cultural identities. There is no immigrant family anywhere in the world that doesn't see its culinary background as important to their being and heritage. Honestly I recommend you watch dave chang's 2 seasons of ugly delicious because he really goes into this in detail and makes a lot of good points, also on whether or not food is an art.
i recommend you read immanuel kant because he also goes into this in detail and distinguishes arts from crafts.

dave chang. kant. hmmm.

the essence of an art is that it is autonomous and without utility. a craft has a use. kantian aesthetics 101.

i never said cooking wasn't important, or the most important thing in our lives, even. that makes sense. we need food or we die. no surprises that cultures privilege food and rituals of eating food. but why does it have to be art? the bigger problem is why do a bunch of coked-up chefs need to validate themselves in this way. nobody is saying they aren't doing a great job, just because they aren't [i]artistes[i].

with iberico ham because they treated food as a simple craft only to feed people.
why does a craft have to be simple? most things that are crafted are the opposite of simple. they can be exquisite. but a well-crafted chair, for all its ornamentation and finesse, is there to be sat on. a meal is there to be eaten and shat.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-22 16:01:34)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

absolutely. i mean what sort of a nonsense phrase is 'the art of listening to music'?

there's a science of acoustics, i'll say that. getting the optimal speaker and sound set-up for your room. maximising quality. but an 'art' to 'appreciating' music?

there the comparison ends. music is meant to express something higher, you know, jay. that's why it's indisputably an Art. what does a well-made carbonara express?
Isn't a musician a craftsman as well? Did they invent the musical notes? Did they invent the beats? Or the rhythm? They're just copying and doing slight changes to existing work. The exact same argument you made against chefs as artists can be made about 99.9% of musicians.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

uziq wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I refer to myself as a foodie because I like food. I like experiencing different ways to eat the same dishes. I like going out and trying new and novel restaurants. Its a way to distinguish from someone like Macbeth who eats for sustenance.

I'm not going on yelp and writing 4 page reviews about the egg roll I just ate (although i did once as a complete satire and got banned from yelp as a result), but I am going to tell you about the restaurant down the block that makes the most amazing pupusas
i can't be bothered to go in on foodies. they are objects of scorn for all the well-rehearsed reasons.

'food' as culture is valid. it's the centre-piece of domestic and family life, cultural get-togethers, etc. it clearly has some social valence. we bond over food. food is important. it's more than just thin gruel we use to literally get requisite calories. there is culture to food, i'll grant that.

but 'foodies' just abstract it, as if being able to taste nice things and appreciate them is some sort of refinement. you have a tongue. you can tell between a well-done dish and a bad one. i mean congrats? it just seems like such a silly thing to elevate into a pursuit. there's no spiritual or intellectual content there. and don't even get me started on people who can't eat at a nice restaurant without letting everyone fucking know about it. 'i've got a booking at ...'. here's my 12 instagram photos of every course at ... . it's like the anti-thesis of food. you pay all that money to go to a nice restaurant to be catered to and enjoy an evening with friends. whyyyy foodies, whyyyy
Oh i agree with the pretentiousness of it, and the social media aspect of anything is mind-blowing to me, but some people live simple lives and as such must define themselves as something. I never got that and I never will. I'm a man of many tastes, abilities, and hobbies. The socially constructed boxes cannot contain me
uziq
+492|3451

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

Isn't a musician a craftsman as well? Did they invent the musical notes? Did they invent the beats? Or the rhythm? They're just copying and doing slight changes to existing work. The exact same argument you made against chefs as artists can be made about 99.9% of musicians.
i never said anything about 'having to invent' something as the requisite. confusing argument. very little is invented from scratch in any art. do you think it all comes to them ex nihilo?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
David Chang is a pretentious ass. Momofuko is delicious food, but goddamn did he turn fancy ramen noodles into something and is now patting himself on the back everywhere? Worse than watching Anthony Bourdain.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Macbeth: I support the gays

Also macbeth: male chefs are homos and I ain't watching no fag!
uziq
+492|3451

Jay wrote:

David Chang is a pretentious ass. Momofuko is delicious food, but goddamn did he turn fancy ramen noodles into something and is now patting himself on the back everywhere? Worse than watching Anthony Bourdain.
he'll be recommending me marie kondo next so i can learn about 'the art of minimal living'.

these normies love to make everything they do into AN ART. they're just so sophisticated. that's why they get their entire cultural prospectus from netflix.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Macbeth: I support the gays

Also macbeth: male chefs are homos and I ain't watching no fag!
I have no issues with the gays as long as they stay kitchened.
uziq
+492|3451

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

uziq wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Oh i agree with the pretentiousness of it, and the social media aspect of anything is mind-blowing to me, but some people live simple lives and as such must define themselves as something. I never got that and I never will. I'm a man of many tastes, abilities, and hobbies. The socially constructed boxes cannot contain me
i believe you
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I used to watch No Reservations religiously right up until he did an episode about wanting to move to Vietnam. He, who hated having a window into the kitchen in the restaurant he worked in, waxed on poetically about the peasant rice farmers toiling in the paddies through the living room window. I can just see him cozying up with an opium pipe and watching the pastoral scene of people breaking their fucking backs in subsistence living conditions. Yeah, go fuck yourself. Get an ocean view far away from a fishing village instead.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

I bet you didn't like that episode because he ate pho with Barry soetero
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
I liked watching Chef Boy-R-Dane going to places to eat food.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I bet you didn't like that episode because he ate pho with Barry soetero
I have no idea who barry soetero is

Edit: no, I don't care if he ate pho with Obama.

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-22 16:08:21)

-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1886

uziq wrote:

why does a craft have to be simple? most things that are crafted are the opposite of simple. they can be exquisite. but a well-crafted chair, for all its ornamentation and finesse, is there to be sat on. a meal is there to be eaten and shat.
At this point it's pretty obvious you're taking the troll route because I already touched on this point with architecture, sure you can apply it to furniture as well - but nobody would ever argue there's not such a thing as 'design' and 'art' in those categories. I'll agree with you that cooking is a craft in its basic form, but it can be elevated to be more of an art. Just as a building can be a simple home or an architectural landmark. Fantastic dishes and presentations can also invade mainstream conscience and how we experience things from that point on. See how french culinary tradition has basically become the norm in the entire western world, from the way dishes are plated and presented, to the courses, to the actual foods and preparation techniques. But at this point it's also about more than just 'the food'. It's why we go to fancy restaurants, it's not just about the dish but about the whole package of the experience and how that plays on your senses. Like art.
uziq
+492|3451
celebrity chefs are a bad thing for culture as a whole. we shouldn't be elevating these people to high status, as if they are chaperones of the soul. they make good food. why are they becoming celebrities and role models?

i'm pretty sure that, with the rise of 'cooking channels' and tv shows about cooking, kitchen skills and literacy with cuisines has actually fallen. people cook way less. they all gawp at food being made on the television and eat microwave meals. to get good at cooking, you have to actually do it. practice. surrounding us with cooking shows all day actually has the opposite effect.

which reminds me, as an aside i have some very funny anecdotes about ina garten. i worked on acquiring a book with her husband a few years ago. they are a very sweet couple.
Larssen
+99|1886

Jay wrote:

The fact that I link to a certain person doesn't instantly mean I accept what they say as gospel, but his own background and ugly delicious does a lot of exploration on the notion of 'food as culture'. It's a good watch, even though it goes off the deep end every once in a while.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719

Jay wrote:

I used to watch No Reservations religiously right up until he did an episode about wanting to move to Vietnam. He, who hated having a window into the kitchen in the restaurant he worked in, waxed on poetically about the peasant rice farmers toiling in the paddies through the living room window. I can just see him cozying up with an opium pipe and watching the pastoral scene of people breaking their fucking backs in subsistence living conditions. Yeah, go fuck yourself. Get an ocean view far away from a fishing village instead.
I have a MAGA boomer acquaintance that I am facebook friends with. I followed his post and left likes here and there on some of his non-MAGA shit in the spirit of good will or whatever. I unfollowed him but remain friends after he made a post making fun of Chef Boy-R-Dane killing himself because the the guy was anti-Trump.
uziq
+492|3451

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

At this point it's pretty obvious you're taking the troll route because I already touched on this point with architecture, sure you can apply it to furniture as well - but nobody would ever argue there's not such a thing as 'design' and 'art' in those categories. I'll agree with you that cooking is a craft in its basic form, but it can be elevated to be more of an art. Just as a building can be a simple home or an architectural landmark. Fantastic dishes and presentations can also invade mainstream conscience and how we experience things from that point on. See how french culinary tradition has basically become the norm in the entire western world, from the way dishes are plated and presented, to the courses, to the actual foods and preparation techniques. But at this point it's also about more than just 'the food'. It's why we go to fancy restaurants, it's not just about the dish but about the whole package of the experience and how that plays on your senses. Like art.
you have some extremely banal and clichéd ideas about what 'art' is. 'it's subjective!' 'it plays on your senses'. 'a package of experiences'.

are you talking about pirandello or writing a brochure for disney world? who knows!

the history of french haute cuisine is very interesting, yes, and i am familiar with it. but why does it have to be an art? because something has become popular and has a sociology to it? leave the big hallowed A word alone. some of us are musing on the eternal soul.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

uziq wrote:

celebrity chefs are a bad thing for culture as a whole. we shouldn't be elevating these people to high status, as if they are chaperones of the soul. they make good food. why are they becoming celebrities and role models?

i'm pretty sure that, with the rise of 'cooking channels' and tv shows about cooking, kitchen skills and literacy with cuisines has actually fallen. people cook way less. they all gawp at food being made on the television and eat microwave meals. to get good at cooking, you have to actually do it. practice. surrounding us with cooking shows all day actually has the opposite effect.

which reminds me, as an aside i have some very funny anecdotes about ina garten. i worked on acquiring a book with her husband a few years ago. they are a very sweet couple.
Jeffrey?
Larssen
+99|1886

uziq wrote:

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

you have some extremely banal and clichéd ideas about what 'art' is. 'it's subjective!' 'it plays on your senses'. 'a package of experiences'.

are you talking about pirandello or writing a brochure for disney world? who knows!

the history of french haute cuisine is very interesting, yes, and i am familiar with it. but why does it have to be an art? because something has become popular and has a sociology to it? leave the big hallowed A word alone. some of us are musing on the eternal soul.
If you go to a place like Noma (or any really famous restaurant) and call it 'banal and blasé' I'd say you're the basic one uziq. But sure - the ironic thing is that there's plenty (according to you) 'real' artists who will resist this notion that it has to be a musing on the eternal soul or have any meaning at all.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-22 16:14:40)

uziq
+492|3451

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

uziq wrote:

Jeffrey?
yes! i did a book with him about globalisation. buy the hardback and check the 32pp colour plate section. i wrote all 5,000 words of its captions. he sent me a thank you note.

another day on mount olympus.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard