Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5721|College Park, MD

Poseidon wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

-=]NS[=-Eagle wrote:

I love mah tips. At Quiznos, a dollar or more tip is guarenteed to get you better service.  I personally believe we deserve tips jsut as much as any damn waitress.  All they are doing is serving you your food and taking the order.  I take the order, make the order, package the order, and give the customer the order.
We (as in food service like what you do... I don't work at Quiznos) also get paid minimum wage despite our tips.
That's precisely why. You get tips.

If you were in a job with no tips doing strenuous work as well I'd imagine you'd atleast get $8-10 an hour, if not more..
I'd hope so. If the garbage men only make $6.55 an hour I'd stage a revolution.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6557|Long Island, New York

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

We (as in food service like what you do... I don't work at Quiznos) also get paid minimum wage despite our tips.

If you were in a job with no tips doing strenuous work as well I'd imagine you'd atleast get $8-10 an hour, if not more..
Actually, garbagemen around here make a lot from what I've heard.

'Cept the illegals of course.

...albeit they make up half the garbagemen work force.

13/f/taiwan
+940|5718

Poseidon wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Actually, garbagemen around here make a lot from what I've heard.

'Cept the illegals of course.

...albeit they make up half the garbagemen work force.

In NYC Garbage men make around 40k starting year plus they only work around 3-4 hours a day out of an 8 hour shift.

And erm, being a Sanitation worker is a highly wanted job here so I doubt half the garbage men are illegals.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6310|Éire

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

I don't mind leaving a tip when I get good service somewhere (and to be fair the service in America is usually outstanding) but tipping out of some sort of obligation is, as Mr. Pink says, "for the birds".
Wow. If you consider American service at restaurants to be "usually outstanding", the bar set in Ireland must be hellaciously low.
Well maybe not so much restaurants (though no negative experiences come to mind) but definitely bars and clubs. Ireland and Britain have woeful service in bars, you even have to stand at the bar!!! Give me Paris, Berlin, Barcelona or Prague any day of the week.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6791|PNW

The only kind of tipping I hate are ambiguous situations, where you don't know when to tip or not tip, and how much.

God Save the Queen wrote:

I was pissed off when my barber raised his price a dollar out of the blue.  instead of a 3 dollar tip he gets a 2 dollar tip
Cost of living...
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6430|'Murka

Braddock wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

I don't mind leaving a tip when I get good service somewhere (and to be fair the service in America is usually outstanding) but tipping out of some sort of obligation is, as Mr. Pink says, "for the birds".
Wow. If you consider American service at restaurants to be "usually outstanding", the bar set in Ireland must be hellaciously low.
Well maybe not so much restaurants (though no negative experiences come to mind) but definitely bars and clubs. Ireland and Britain have woeful service in bars, you even have to stand at the bar!!! Give me Paris, Berlin, Barcelona or Prague any day of the week.
You don't go to a bar or a club for service...at least not in the States, you don't.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6539|Πάϊ

Braddock wrote:

wtf are you talking about "stand at the bar"?

of course you have to stand at the bar!

what is this a gentlemen's  club? lol

ok maybe my standards are a bit low
ƒ³
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5721|College Park, MD

oug wrote:

Braddock wrote:

wtf are you talking about "stand at the bar"?

of course you have to stand at the bar!

what is this a gentlemen's  club? lol

ok maybe my standards are a bit low
damn low a bar should have comfy stools
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
eleven bravo
+1,399|5278|foggy bottom
fuck tipping
Tu Stultus Es
jord
+2,382|6697|The North, beyond the wall.
Mother was a waitress and had to put tips in a jar which were then divided between all the staff and the 2 managers(who barely did anything). I wouldn't tip here even if I could afford too..
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6597|Columbus, OH
I tipped my barber more than a waitress. The postman and garbage man can forget about me tipping them around Christmas.....never believed they should be tipped.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6519|so randum
iTip
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
ghettoperson
+1,943|6669

I like tipping, gets you better service. At a bar you get stronger drinks + don't have to wait, and anywhere else means you don't have to queue for anything.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6584|Area 51

ghettoperson wrote:

I like tipping, gets you better service. At a bar you get stronger drinks + don't have to wait, and anywhere else means you don't have to queue for anything.
That really works? Ought to try that out once.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6669

It's even better in Europe because no one tips. We were doing shots and it was pretty busy at the bar, so after the second round I tipped the guy 5 euros so that we'd get served faster, and after that not only did we get served right away, but he poured the shots into huge cups which must have been at least three times the size of the shot glasses.
Dr.PhiL
Danmark
+30|6689|Up North

ghettoperson wrote:

wtf?

In a bar you normally say what you want and then the waiter makes your drink, and then you pay..

So the waiter/bartender is gonna take your drink back after you tipped him and put a little extra booze in, because you tipped him?

Never heard that one before...
13rin
+977|6498

ghettoperson wrote:

True, but that pisses me off (not the faster service part).  For certain mixed drinks you can ruin it by being overloading with spirits.  If I wanted a double, I'd a fucking asked for it.

*edit:@ DRphil

That happens on your next trip to the bar (provided that the bartender remembers to hook you up)

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2010-08-09 09:55:39)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5377|London, England

Dr.PhiL wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

wtf?

In a bar you normally say what you want and then the waiter makes your drink, and then you pay..

So the waiter/bartender is gonna take your drink back after you tipped him and put a little extra booze in, because you tipped him?

Never heard that one before...
No, it's one of those 'pay it forward' type things. You tip them nicely the first time you buy a drink and they'll generally hook you up for the rest of the night (but you still have to maintain a token tip on every drink thereafter). I once made $400 in a four hour shift bartending on tips alone.

But I probably cost the bar a good $100 in extra liquor poured

Edit - Oh, and a token tip around here (generally the minimum really) is $1 per drink. So... a beer is $5 you leave $6 etc.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-08-09 09:59:29)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6519|so randum

ghettoperson wrote:

It's even better in Europe because no one tips. We were doing shots and it was pretty busy at the bar, so after the second round I tipped the guy 5 euros so that we'd get served faster, and after that not only did we get served right away, but he poured the shots into huge cups which must have been at least three times the size of the shot glasses.
wut

loads of people tip
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6576|Kent, UK
Wow, I only ever tip 10%, or round up to the nearest £5/10, depending on the amount.
For a 25% tip, I'd expect full on oral sex from the waitress for dessert.
Dr.PhiL
Danmark
+30|6689|Up North
Yeah I thought about that right after (just woke up) but a bit late to delete my post...

I usually always tell bartenders to keep the change, or give them what I have of coins in my pocket, if its a nice woman il maybe il give her some more though.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5377|London, England

Buckles wrote:

Wow, I only ever tip 10%, or round up to the nearest £5/10, depending on the amount.
For a 25% tip, I'd expect full on oral sex from the waitress for dessert.
This is why wait staffs in America will fight each other to not serve foreigners when they come into a restaurant. The collective groan when a foreign accent is heard is amusing to say the least.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6601|SE London

eleven bravo wrote:

fuck tipping
Fuck tipping as standard.

Tips are for when you get good or exceptional service, not just mediocre service.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6669

FatherTed wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

wut

loads of people tip
Yeah, like round up to the nearest 5er for dinner. That hardly counts.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6601|SE London

ghettoperson wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

wut

loads of people tip
Yeah, like round up to the nearest 5er for dinner. That hardly counts.
No, that doesn't count.

But for a proper meal most people tip 10-15% if they get good service - that's my experience of it anyway.

But in Europe it tends to be dependent on getting good service.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard