Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6601|SE London

Has anyone here driven a Skyline GTR? Are they horrible to drive?

I've been put off those sorts of Japanese cars after driving an Evo 8, went fast and the sudden boost from the huge twin turbos is fun as is the awesome handling, but it just feels nasty to drive. Maybe my standards are too high, but I rarely find cars that I actually enjoy driving. I've always quite liked Skylines, but I've always been concerned they'd drive like characterless boxes with no soul - like most German and Japanese cars seem to. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6569|UK

I can agree with that^.  All these driver aids can actually be dangerous.  The natural transition of the car's weight and traction is thrown out the window.  Which is great if your driving within that limit, when you press on it seems to go to pot.  I used to be a test driver for Ford's premium brands in the UK and it's actually a bit of a fight to get the engineers to focus on a well sorted chassis than some wonder computer that sits under the driver's seat. 

I havent driven the GTR yet but from what I hear there isnt much in the way of feel.  It's driving you rather than the other way around. 

Allegedly anyway.

Martyn
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6465|The Land of Scott Walker

The#1Spot wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

So you are trying to mock a close geared track car that puts the Z06 to shame?
The GTR is fragile and it's top speed run is slower than the Vette.  Think what you want.
So the so called fragile car can out pace a Z06. If you actually read one of many hundreds of reports of the Nissan GTR the car is not built for top end speed. So you acknowledge that the GTR is the better track car then as your only defence is straight line speed with the Z06.
So called fragile?  Any sports car that can only do 35 launches and then requires an army of techs to decend on it for repairs is fragile.  This thread is about a top speed run which obviously involves straight line speed.  Hence me posting the vid of the superior top speed run showing the Vette shifting out of 3rd at 120mph when the GTR has only reached 140mph in 5th gear.  Your first post stated the GTR could go just as fast as the Z06 with less power, yet comparison of the videos prove that false.  Of course a car with 4wd and a load of traction control tech keeping the car on the road should be able to handle corners more efficiently than a rwd car.  But when the 4wd needs more tlc to keep going than a supermodel in the powder room then car guys are going to laugh themselves silly.  Vette drivers want to feel the power and control it, not let a boatload of computers keep the car on the road.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6601|SE London

Bell wrote:

I can agree with that^.  All these driver aids can actually be dangerous.  The natural transition of the car's weight and traction is thrown out the window.  Which is great if your driving within that limit, when you press on it seems to go to pot.  I used to be a test driver for Ford's premium brands in the UK and it's actually a bit of a fight to get the engineers to focus on a well sorted chassis than some wonder computer that sits under the driver's seat. 

I havent driven the GTR yet but from what I hear there isnt much in the way of feel.  It's driving you rather than the other way around. 

Allegedly anyway.

Martyn
Well, ABS is nice to have - but other than that, screw driver aids (unless you've got loads of power and dodgy/wet/icy etc. road surface, in which case a bit of TC is nice too).
SealXo
+309|6555
Like ive said before, the corvette looks like your bestfriends sleek sexy sister, while the gtr looks like your other bestfriends fat sister named olga, sure, shes a beast, but she need to take lots of rests, shes a great ride, but in the end, shes still fat and ugly.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6465|The Land of Scott Walker
You may not karma the same person in a 24 hour period.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard