Sh4rkb1t3
+6|6726
PKM:  This gun is a solid upgrade over the stock guns.  It has a slighty slower ROF, but the power and accuracy are better.  My rating: thumbs up.

M95:  This gun is a good replacement for the MEC and PLA snipers, but is pretty much the same for the USMC.  This is a must have for all snipers.  The scope is worse than the USMC gun, and there is more bullet drop, but it is slightly more powerful.  The power increase doesn't help much though, because it still kills in 2 hits.  My rating: thumbs up.

L85A1:  Don't get this weapon.  There is just way too much recoil.  Its spray accuracy is very poor, and for long range it sucks because there is so much recoil, even in single shot you will have to wait 1 second between shots for it to regain its accuracy.  Its also way too weak to be a sniper rifle.  Avoid this at all costs, unless you want to get the G36E.  My rating: thumbs down.

Jackhammer:  A great upgrade for any engineer.  Its just like any other shotgun, except it fires extremely fast, and is clip loading.  Comparable to the MEC shotgun, except it is automatic and has more recoil.  No, it can't kill in 1 hit like the pump shotguns, but how often do you kill in 1 hit with a jump shotgun?  The rate of fire is so fast with this gun, you can just fire off another shot and kill them in the same amount of time.  My rating: thumbs up.

DOA:  Probably the most overlooked weapon.  If you like to play Anti-Tank, you NEED this weapon.  In close range, this thing is FAR better than the stock gun.  In long range, no, but the stock gun wasn't very good at long range anyway.  Use your AT rockets for long range.  Overall, a HUGE upgrade over the stock weapon.  My rating: thumbs up.

G3:  It sucks.  It has terrible accuracy, a crappy sight, a puny clip size and mag count, and NO GRENADE LAUNCHER.  Isn't the grenade launcher the whole point of picking the assault class?  This weapon is very powerful, but that is its only advantage over the stock guns.  It only comes with 80 bullets, so I hope you have a support that you can follow around the whole game.  Good for close range only.  My rating: thumbs down.

G36C:  This gun is identical to the USMC and PLA weapons.  It is slightly weaker than the MEC gun, but has better accuacy.  And it comes with ironsights instead of a red dot, so long range will be harder.  Don't get this weapon, unless you like the USMC/PLA weapon more than the MEC one, and you play MEC a lot.  My rating: thumbs down.

SF UNLOCKS:

G36E:  Possibly the most overated weapon.  A good upgrade if you want to fight in long range, and you are playing as MEC / PLA.  What most people overlook is that this weapon is almost identical the the M16A2 - it just has a slight accuracy and stability improvement.  If you like using the M16A2, and you want to be able to use it for MEC and PLA, get this.  Or if you REALLY like the M16A2, and want a 3-5% accuacy + stability improvement, get this.  I did unlock this one myself, and I have been pleased while playing MEC on Karkand.  My rating: thumbs up.

SCAR-L:  A downgraded version of the G36C.  Enough said.  Do not unlock.  My rating: thumbs down.

F2000:  Its basically a downgraded AK-101/47.  It takes 1 more shot to kill armor than the AK-101/47, and has about twice as much recoil.  Do not unlock unless you want to use a weapon similar to the AKs for USMC, but I don't know why you would - the M16A2 is a great weapon.  You also get a flashbang for unlocking this, which can be useful at times.  My rating: thumbs down.

MG36:  33% faster ROF than the PKM, and slightly weaker. It has a higher damage/time than the PKM, but only by a very small amount.  Only unlock this if the only thing you play is support, since it is only about 10% better than the PKM, when damage, accuracy, and ROF are taken into account.  Is a 10% improvement worth an unlock?  You decide.  My rating: thumbs up.

MP7:  Its basically an upgraded AT SMG... which is odd because this is a machine pistol, not a real SMG.  The deviation is the same as an AK - it isn't great, but you'll be able to hit at medium range.  But the problem is that it does about half as damage as an assault rifle, and it only has 20 bullets per clip.  So if you want to use an assault rifle, use a REAL assault rifle, not this thing.  My rating: thumbs down.

Last edited by Sh4rkb1t3 (2006-01-21 16:08:37)

Angel.C-sq
+24|6730|Computer Chair
Nice list and thanks for the tip on unlucking the flashbang, I was wondering about that.
Ryan
+1,230|6885|Alberta, Canada

Why did you do all this when we could just check at Wiki?

Also, the g36e isnt even close to the m16a2. And its DAO not DOA

Last edited by ryan_14 (2006-01-20 16:52:02)

Sh4rkb1t3
+6|6726
Because what looks good on paper isn't always good in practice.  I thought some people would like to have an opinion about the unlocks.

Look at the Wiki to compare the M16A2 to the G36E.

Minimum Deviation (prone, zoomed):

M16A2: 0.24
G36E: 0.22

The difference is negligible.

Deviation per shot

M16A2: 0.20
G36E: 0.17

Once again, the difference is not noticible

Alright, the G36E is about 3% more accurate and stable than the M16A2.  But is it REALLY worth the unlock?

Last edited by Sh4rkb1t3 (2006-01-20 16:57:29)

GV
+0|6714
Thanks for taking the time to write all that....nice read.
Sh4rkb1t3
+6|6726
Oh yeah, I should add that the M95 is useful for sniping your team out of the cockpit when they try to steal your jet.
Rathji
+1|6724
MP7:  VERY bad weapon.  Its basically the same as one of those anti-tank SMGs, with a smaller clip.  DO NOT GET THIS.  Like I have said before, this weapon would be cool if it replaced your pistol...

WAY more acurate than AT, even at long range. I think this gun deserves way more credit than you are giving it.
Ryan
+1,230|6885|Alberta, Canada

This is all HIS opinion. So you could love the mp-7 and he could hate it. just cuz he says this stuff doesant mean u dont have to unlock those guns.

i find the g36e way better than the m16.
chickenmuncher
+2|6792| U.S.A.
I found MOST of your...insight...to be more of a self opinion, so you should state that.

If you want the REAL info, look at the Wiki.
=FDX=VEga
Carlos Hathcock Jr
+7|6753|'Ull, Yorkshire, England
Not a bad list but a few constructive criticisms -

The L85 is a must for anyone who owns SF - the G36E is by far the best Assault Rifle and a huge upgrade for the Medic class and you need the L85 to get the G36E.

The Jackhammer is quite different to the Pump shotguns, not only in being magazine fed and fully automatic, but in its poor accuracy at medium range and its power (both are not quite as good as the pumps)

The DOA is called the DAO or DAO12 (also known as the Protecta) and is a must for EVERYONE - make this your first unlock.

The G3 is awesome if you know how to use it, unless you are a big fan of noob-tubing the Frag Grenades can be useful as opposed to the GL's. And as for the 80 bullets - thats 20 kills or more - on levels that you will most likely be using the G3 you won't survive long enough to use all those bullets and if you do - you should have resupplied already anyway.

The G36C is not identical to the M4 or QBZ by any stretch of the imagination, it's laser accurate (you won't miss when you have practiced with it) and just as powerful. And if you can't cope with iron sights then how the hell do you manage with practically every other weapon in the game? 2nd unlock you should get.

The G36E is awesome. I've been called a cheater so many times thanks to this little beaut, you'll get headshots even easier than with an M24. People who poo-poo the 3 rnd burst make me want to cry - if you tap your mouse button fast enough you've got 900RPM anyway!! On top of all this it does 2 more damage per shot than the M16 - and that can make a big difference.

The SCAR-L will be my last unlock - i just love the G36 way too much

The F2000 is a big upgrade over the G3 and the other assault weapons and does more damage than the M16. It also has a great GL for destroying light vehicles and Helo's (no i don't noob-tube) and flashbangs, which are way more useful than smokes (1 flashbang at the Karkand Hotel flag = 3 knife kills)

The MG36 is another one that take practice, but you will soon find it is a huge improvement over the base weapons, and a slight improvement over the PKM (use the PKM in CQB and the MG36 on bigger maps) It doesn't overheat (unless you are a moron) and has a good ROF and damage.

The MP7 is not a bad weapon but i rarely find myself wishing I had one instead of my trusty Jackhammer

Those are my pearls of wisdom. Take them as you will.
DeAThSniPer[CoD]
+8|6812|Virginia, United States
all the weapons in the game r good, how could u say the g3 sucks, wat cuz u suck at aimin, its a great weapon, all the weapons r good u jus have to know how to use them, l85a1 is good for long range and short range u cant hold the trigger down tho on long rangeshoot it single fire and it owns.  u jus hate guns u cant kill with, the f2000 is also a good gun and so r the ak's, its not the gun its the person usin it. and by the way the dao shouldnt be ur first unlock becuz out of all the weapons in the game thats worst than them all except for the regular anti tank guns.

Last edited by DeAThSniPer[CoD] (2006-01-20 17:16:13)

=FDX=VEga
Carlos Hathcock Jr

Sh4rkb1t3 wrote:

Oh yeah, I should add that the M95 is useful for sniping your team out of the cockpit when they try to steal your jet.
It's not YOUR jet idiot, thats why you are referring to the guy you are killing in YOUR jet as YOUR team. By all means kill the other team when they steal YOUR jet but to kill your own team-mates?

You are the kind of person that ruins this game for me, and i'm guessing you are probably about 12 years old or you have some serious issues with sharing (my parents taught me that concept when i was 12 MONTHS old)
=FDX=VEga
Carlos Hathcock Jr

DeAThSniPer[CoD] wrote:

all the weapons in the game r good, how could u say the g3 sucks, wat cuz u suck at aimin, its a great weapon, all the weapons r good u jus have to know how to use them, l85a1 is good for long range and short range u cant hold the trigger down tho on long rangeshoot it single fire and it owns.  u jus hate guns u cant kill with, the f2000 is also a good gun and so r the ak's, its not the gun its the person usin it. and by the way the dao shouldnt be ur first unlock becuz out of all the weapons in the game thats worst than them all except for the regular anti tank guns.
I personally love the DAO and kick ass with it, maybe its just the person using it (i'm sure i've heard those words before)

The point of an unlock is to be an upgrade over the base weapons, and the DAO-12 is by far the biggest upgrade.
Vic42
+2|6764|Sacramento, California

Sh4rkb1t3 wrote:

Because what looks good on paper isn't always good in practice.  I thought some people would like to have an opinion about the unlocks.
I agree 100%, real world experience with some context is much more valuable than just the numbers, which can be hard to interpret.

I do have to disagree about the L85A1. The scope easily outclasses anything that is not a sniper rifle, and that adds a lot of value for me. The recoil IS bad, so I put it into single shot mode if I'm settling in to do some sniping (not my usual MO). Where do you get the "one second between shots" to regain accuracy? I think it is much shorter than that based on my experience.
petethecheese
+9|6804|England

DeAThSniPer[CoD] wrote:

u jus hate guns u cant kill with, the f2000 is also a good gun and so r the ak's, its not the gun its the person usin it. and by the way the dao shouldnt be ur first unlock becuz out of all the weapons in the game thats worst than them all except for the regular anti tank guns.
I agree. Everyone has their favourites, and the type of kit ( and hence gun) has a lot to do with the map you're playing.  The L85A1 is a great weapon, particularly at medium t o long range - it IS accurate, you just gotta be prone and fire single shot or short bursts  - much better at range than the M16 or AK, due to the X4 magnification sight, but you gotta know how to shoot properly.  Automatic fire is just so much wasted ammo. Just like the real thing.  Any N00b can pick it up and pull the trigger, but being able to shoot is a different matter.......
[BambiKillerz]Brian
+1|6745
your advice sucks you have to get use to the weapon your dealing with!!!
=FDX=VEga
Carlos Hathcock Jr
The L85 is alright in my opinion also, but a huge letdown. I've used the L85 extensively in real life and it is VERY accurate (won 4 competitions with it), I got a boner when i saw that it was in the unlocks but when i came to use it i felt betrayed by EA - what have they done to my beautiful gun. They did a good job with the SUSAT scope (50,000 global points for anyone who can tell me what SUSAT stands for without using Google) but the accuracy is way off. For the record - i enjoy using the L85 and do very well with it - but its nowhere near as good as the G36E.

Oh and its a 2.5x scope as well - not the 4x that petethecheese stated (it's 4x in real life but 2.5 in the game - according to the BF2S wiki)

Last edited by =FDX=VEga (2006-01-20 17:39:16)

Dilbert2468
+6|6782|Australia
AK-47 is best. unlocks are crap. bar anti tank. i wish i could have the AK-47 as an unlock for my medic kit so i could use it on all the teams

Last edited by Dilbert2468 (2006-01-20 18:21:11)

DobermanDog
+0|6727

=FDX=VEga wrote:

(50,000 global points for anyone who can tell me what SUSAT stands for without using Google)
Sight Unit, Small Arms, Tritium or Tactical or some such.
Revelstoke
The Medic Whore
+9|6743|Ontario
dont diss the G3 just because you cant use it...
its the most powerfull assault rifle in the game (imho), and will kill with 1 headshot
also, it's extremely accurate...
your one of those people who run around with the GL on.. arent you..?
go home...
Sh4rkb1t3
+6|6726

[BambiKillerz]Brian wrote:

your advice sucks you have to get use to the weapon your dealing with!!!
Actually I've unlocked them all, but obviously not all on one account.  I get 1500 pts on an account, unlock 4 guns, repeat.

I admit I was a little hard on the MP7... its a bit better than the AT smgs.  Actually the deviation is the same as an AK-47.  But the problem is that it does about half as damage as an assault rifle, and it only has 20 bullets per clip.  So if you want to use an assault rifle, use a REAL assault rifle, not this thing.

Yes, there is enough for 20 kills with the G3, but with an M16A2 you have enough for 36 kills, or 30 with an AK.  But since the G3 has such bad accuracy, you are sure not to get anywhere near 20 kills, mabey 7-8 MAX.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6756|US
G36C is a great gun.  I might even say the best unlock.  It is EXTREMELY accurate.  I have been killed in a duel at range, while I was a sniper...(shame)...It is one of the few rifles that is still deadly accurate on full auto.   But at close range, it can be weak.

L85A1 has been taking a beating since the G36E came out.  The L85 is a good gun for mid/long range shots.  No it is not accurate, but it has a better zoom and, if you miss, HEY! you've got 29 more chances!  Don't be afraid to miss at range.  (I usually put 5-10 shots downrange to kill a guy, but I DO kill the guy)

The G36E's advantage is that it is coded for 1 headshot kills.  I love when this happens!
canadianmadcow1701
+0|6744
I like the G36E. I just unlocked it and I like it.
OSS-CAPT-SPEIRS
+13|6774|Orange County, CA
Unlocks are a funny thing and in my opinion totally subjective.  One man's M95 is another man's G3.  I would agonize over which unlock to get, read this thread and that thread, this opinion vs. that opinion.  At the end of the day what I really discovered is that its not the weapon, it is the person using it.  I hated the M95 when I got it, until I started to learn to use it, now I select it exclusively on ceratin maps and I get a decent amount of kills.  I heard how bad the G3 was, "don't get it, it's useless..." and now that I have it I think it is a great weapon.  When I go toe to toe with someone, usually in Karkland and I have the G3, I usually come out ahead 70% of the time.  Bottom line, I don't think there is any cure-all, catch-all weapon, I think get the skill with any weapon and they are all good.

My 2 cents.
Sh4rkb1t3
+6|6726
I guess it really doesn't matter which weapon you get, since they all can't be used against vehicles.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard