Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6618|London, England
Question.

Are these things bad when it comes to radiation and shit like that. I'm using a TFT (or LCD, or w/e) from like 2001 and I'm just wondering if I've been killing myself all these years.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6309

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Question.

Are these things bad when it comes to radiation and shit like that. I'm using a TFT (or LCD, or w/e) from like 2001 and I'm just wondering if I've been killing myself all these years.
If it doesn't have "Low Radiation Emission" printed on it like my old CRT did, I think you're fine.
Wallpaper
+303|5991|The pool
You shouldnt have to worry about LCDs. CRTs on the other hand... Fuck them. I went from my lappy (lcd of course) to a new desktop (with a crt) and Ive noticed eye strain in the morning and other shit like that.

CRT Monitors
Sort for cathode-ray tubes, CRT monitors were the only choice consumers had for monitor technology for many years. Cathode ray tube (CRT) technology has been in use for more than 100 years, and is found in most televisions and computer monitors. A CRT works by moving an electron beam back and forth across the back of the screen. Each time the beam makes a pass across the screen, it lights up phosphor dots on the inside of the glass tube, thereby illuminating the active portions of the screen. By drawing many such lines from the top to the bottom of the screen, it creates an entire screen of images.

LCD/Flat panel Monitors
Short for liquid crystal display, LCD technology can be found in digital watches and computer monitors. LCD displays use two sheets of polarizing material with a liquid crystal solution between them. An electric current passed through the liquid causes the crystals to align so that light cannot pass through them. Each crystal, therefore, is like a shutter, either allowing light to pass through or blocking the light. Color LCD displays use two basic techniques for producing color: Passive matrix is the less expensive of the two technologies.
http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Har … nitors.asp

Last edited by Wallpaper (2008-09-20 15:50:31)

liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6624|UK
CRT monitors emit radiation (X-ray) thanks to the electron beam. There are no electron beams in LCD displays. Only visible light is emitted.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6618|London, England
Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of any materials that are used that could possibly emit anything dangerous after awhile, but it looks like it's all ok.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6624|UK
Well, the most dangerous thing I can think of is that the bulbs typically used for back-lights in LCDs contain mercury. (Unless you have an LED lit screen - in which case, there is no mercury.)
Wallpaper
+303|5991|The pool

liquidat0r wrote:

Well, the most dangerous thing I can think of is that the bulbs typically used for back-lights in LCDs contain mercury. (Unless you have an LED lit screen - in which case, there is no mercury.)
Yeah. So dont lick the lightbulb
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6669

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Question.

No more then your microwave.
Jackabo
+127|6556|Dublin, Ireland

Stealth42o wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Question.

No more then your microwave.
eek...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard