Lib-Sl@yer
+32|6723|Wherever the F**k i feel like
I just found out that they are making a new socket for amd and a new chipset for videocards. Its supposed to come out in a couple of months.
S4INT05
+1|6740|79605, TX
do you have a link? i'd like to read up on this. the next computer i build i will most likely go AMD, but a new chipset for video? shit, AGP is barely phasing out, PCI express is making it's headway now..
Lib-Sl@yer
Ill have to find the link ill post it tommorrow
Lib-Sl@yer
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6686|Planet Seibertron ;)
Dang that's old!   Yeah, the new socket is slated to be out early this year.  The new socket design is there to bring DDR2 support to the Athlon series.  This'll mean new motherboard, CPU, and RAM if you plan on upgrading... or even worse, new video card and power supply if you're upgrading from AGP.

The new socket will be interesting to see as we'll be seeing dual-core CPUs utilize the DDR2 memory.  Although... I wonder just how much of an improvement we'll see in using DDR2 clock for clock... and then there's the question of whether we'll be able to use 4 DDR2 sticks and still get 1T (if such a thing exists in DDR2-world).  So many things needing to be asked... yet we all have to wait 'till the hardwares are out and the benchmarks run.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6776|Cambridge (UK)

sixshot wrote:

The new socket will be interesting to see as we'll be seeing dual-core CPUs utilize the DDR2 memory.  Although... I wonder just how much of an improvement we'll see in using DDR2 clock for clock... and then there's the question of whether we'll be able to use 4 DDR2 sticks and still get 1T (if such a thing exists in DDR2-world).  So many things needing to be asked... yet we all have to wait 'till the hardwares are out and the benchmarks run.
And will it support dual-channel? I think that's going to be the biggest factor - with dual-channel support both cores in a dual-core can be access the memory simultaneously - without dual-channel each core will have faster access to the memory as a whole, but you will get situations where one core is waiting for the other to finish.

I really don't get why full dual-channel 4 DIMM support isn't a base-line feature by now - the 32-bit address space is 4GB and the single best way to create 4GB is 4x1GB with full dual-channel support.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard