ero_senin05
+1|5920|Australia
Here's my first go at writing a guide about anything. This is really only designed for people who are really bad at sniping and want some ideas on how to improve. I will cover both offensive and defensive sniper tactics.

First, lets begin with Defensive:

By defensive, I don't mean actually defending any flags or that stuff, but more along the lines of defending yourself. This method works well if you're not a great shot and want some time to breathe between encounters.
This entails alot of long range firing, and I mean long. Preferably as far back as you can be and still see your target location. And that is the key - having a target location. Being a successful sniper requires the ability to anticipate the enemy's next move and moving to intercept. Flag capture points are the easiest Targets to snipe since once the enemy arrives, although they may dance around, that is where they'll stay for a little while at least.
So how do you tell where the enemy will be next? There are a number of ways. Firstly, I like to use my caps-lock key quite frequently as this gives you a good idea of what's going throughout the entire map. Unless there is a UAV present you won't see any enemies on the map unless they've been "painted" but there are ways to tell where they are going and where they are even without being able to see them. By looking at the Flags you can calculate their next target. Also if you look at your own team, some of the blue markers symbolizing your team will be flashing yellow. This is an indication of them communicating, things like "First aid, here!" etc but also things like "I need a medic". These are all indication of an enemy presence. Also, with the blue markers you will probably have noticed that the direction they point in is the direction that player is facing. One thing to also notice is that when a player dies that marker always points straight up, no matter what direction they were facing before. So if you notice this, there is an obvious enemy presence. or teamkiller.

The most important tool a sniper has is his rifle, and the most important part of that rifle is the scope. The scope is used for more than just aiming. If you're travelling long distances, then you'll want to use it to scout the way ahead and around just like a sniper does in real life. If you're running at an enemy, the scope will allow you to see him long before he sees you, giving you a strong advantage providing you can shoot straight. So, remember, the scope is used for both aiming and OBSERVATION.

When fighting defensively you're going to want to remain hidden by finding "hides" or places of shelter. Rooftops provide great vantage points but offer no shelter. Chances are if you're spotted on a rooftop, you don't have long to live. Shooting from within buildings should be done from as far away from the door or window as possible. When you stand in a doorway or window, you may as well be standing in an open field as far as staying hidden goes. Standing away from these openings provides shade which the sniper kit fits into well.

More hides can be from behind burned out or busted vehicles, shooting through the windows etc, or just using it as a wall to take cover behind. Most players find it difficult to get a kill on someone in such a position from range. However, were someone to sneak up behind you you would be gone.

Trees offer good cover as that is exactly what the sniper kit was designed to fit in with. The most common mistake players make is getting in front of the tree. The shape of someone laying in front of a tree is distinct and easily spotted. To blend in with the foliage you need to stand behind it, shooting through and between the leaves. Some trees however are not drawn for distance which means, although you may have people walk right by you without seeing you there, someone from a distance will be able to see you. This is because the game does not draw alot of the smaller greenery for distance which leaves you as a sitting duck for an enemy sniper. The trees to use are the larger fern type trees with a short stump in the middle which you can't pass through. walk into one of these trees and from a crouching position fire between the leaves. This provides excellent camoflage but reduces your visual spectrum by around 75%. The leaves move with the wind also which can be annoying, particularly when you're lining up a shot and it get's in your sights.

Using hills and such to snipe from is generally a bad idea. Shooting from atop a hill is pointless since as soon as someone looks up at the hill, they can see your silouette against the sky but you may get lucky and get a few kills from up there. Coming down the hill side can work for a couple of shots as well but it leaves you at the disadvantage of having no cover. Remember that the sniper kit comes with a powerful but extremely slow firing weapon and you have no armor. You're a sitting duck in a one on one fight against any other kit.

The most important point of defensive fighting is having a "hide rotation". This is a minimum of 3 places where you can hide in one location. You have to be able to reach each one without being seen and each has to be a good distance away from eachother, and lastly you need to be able to see each hide from the rest. This is a neccessity for every sniper, and if you don't use this system then I see why you're looking for help in the first place.

This is how it works in practice: From hide one, you can fire down into your target location. As soon as you make your first kill start counting to 10 while trying for more kills. If you hit an enemy and he doesn't die, make sure he does from your next shot. Everyone you hit will know your location in short order and will hunt you down since snipers are the easiest players to kill. As soon as you finish the count of 10 move as quickly as possible, to your next hide , hide two. The reason you count to 10 is that the guy you shot has 15 seconds to respawn and when he does respawn the first thing he'll look for is you, so you need to be long gone before he does. Chances are if he can't find you within a few seconds he'll assume someone else got you. There is a high chance that one of his comrades will revive him, too. If this is the case then just shoot him again which will put a bit of fear into him, so if he survives, he run and hide giving you the time you need to change hides.

So every time you make your first kill from a hide location count to 10 and move. Count to 10 and move. Count to 10 and move. It's a constant cycle but it works.

Also Defensively, claymores are your friend. But they can also be your enemy. In more ways that one. A claymore can be set at the top of a staircase or a ladder to prevent anyone from sneaking up on you. The problem is, that means ANYONE. Including your team. Use Claymores only in times when needed, such as when things are getting a little close for comfort. Place them with a bit of thought and only when needed. Don't place a claymore anywhere you think and enemy MIGHT go, cos chances are, friendlies might go that way too.
Claymores are best use offensively but I will explain more about that later.

The only other thing I can think of is head shooting. At range it is a good idea to practice your headshots. It's a one hit kills and when you can make a headshot 8 or 9 out of 10 times from range you'll have a much better chance of doing it from close range.

Now to some Offensive strategy:

Grenades. They are your best friend right now. Get used to changing weapons quickly. When the heat is on the best way to clear a room is with a 'nade. Throw one toward the enemy and switch to your rifle straight away and shoot then straight away switch to your pistol and start firing. If the grenade wounds but doesn't kill, the rifle will finish the job. if the nade misses and the rifle wounds but doesn't kill, the pistol will finish the job. If all that fails... Run. And Jump, Jump for your life. And dive! Go Prone! Then hit the crouch button quickly and run again! All the while changing to your rifle and reloading. Once you're done repeat the process.

Grenades are also good to use around corners, when you're getting around since the worst thing for a sniper is to encounter an enemy at close range with you rifle.

The trick to not getting shot is to jump when you throw the grenade, prone when you fire the rifle and move in every manner you can dream of while firing the pistol. Then run. This is not a full proof plan but I find that when you release all that fury, your target begins to panic and you come out on top in most cases. There always the chance of him getting lucky, especially if he has an AK101 in his hands. They seem to carry sniper seeking rounds in them.

Another method for the offensive sniper is to,from a distance, move from side to side while jumping, crouching, going prone constantly. This doesn't work so well at close range but there are times when it does. When you're facing off with another sniper you'll find that most players use this method. The trick to winning out is by making your moves seems predictable by stopping in a crouch for a second too long. Most snipers will stop before they shoot and when they do, change from a crouch to prone and let him have it! Others will actually blow your head off without stopping for an instant, but most do stop and settle for the shot. If you've practice your headshooting, that small pause when they fire will be all the time you need to get the kill.

The knife. Oh the knife. It's so fun to kill with it, especially when some noob opens a whole clip on you and you stab him in the face. The problem is that everyone will try to open a whole clip on you when you bring a knife to the party. There are a few guys and girls around who will give you an honorable knife fight but they are few and far between. Although it is fun, knifing is the quickest way to getting a really bad kill:death ratio. It's best to leave the knife to kill those you can sneak up behind and as a general rule, if you manage to sneak up behind a sniper and stab him dead, that gives you the right to teabag him. To be stabbed from behind as a sniper is the ultimate shame and that should be made known to your victim. Of course this applies to you as well so watch your back.

Well that's all I can think of for now. If I do think of more I'll add it later. If there's any questions you have about something I didn't cover, feel free to ask.

I hope this helps anyone who reads it.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5895|CA
Very good, especially for the beginner sniper/newbie to BF2.  Personally, I love to instigate with the sniper rifle, and present myself as regular soldier...defensive sniping is boring, IMO.

Most of the time you can win against support class, since they usually always go prone, giving you a clean headshot, that is, if you can stay calm under fire, and fire quickly and swap to your pistol all the right amount of time.

Grenade spamming = fail, I've encountered snipers who spam nades at the ground in defense, I don't think I've ever been killed by one of those grenades.  If I'm encountered as a sniper, I'll use my rifle/pistol as best I can, or claymore if really desperate.

Still, good guide, nice work.
ero_senin05
+1|5920|Australia
Thanks. I wasn't exactly referring to nade "spamming" though. Just a single nade thrown toward a group of enemies to, at the very least, turn their attention toward self preservation rather than killing you. That usually works pretty well for me and I can usually bust up at least half a squad before copping a lead sandwich or falling back.
I would only recommend dropping a claymore if your death is already written, other wise you're pretty much wasting time you should be using with the pistol or knife.

Last edited by ero_senin05 (2008-09-14 03:30:46)

Barrakuda777
+86|6727|Somewhere near a shrub or rock
Not a bad guide for a novice, I only really agree with the defensive section though.

Offensive you have some good points but I disagree with the nades and you seem to recommend too much haste.... and probably panic.

If I was to start again as a novice wanting to pick up offensive play I would simply attach myself to a good squad with medics and work on getting into positions to do damage to the enemy, without making yourself the only target....

Just play like regular inf but with a bit more precision at range..... but then being a medic may be just as much use...

Kooda

P.S. Novice offensive snipers, squads are your friend, you need the backup to ensure if you kill something it stays dead.
Fateless
+36|6233|Jennifer Connellys Pants
Yeah, not bad. Agree with Kooda about the leaping in with nades first for offensive. Imo, an offensive sniper's one who takes flags and runs with the squad.

Other than that, its a great starting guide.
twoblacklines
all grown up now (its boring)
+49|6198
I find the best place to snipe is actually out in the open but out of shooting range of non-snipers. then just keep quick scoping occasionally jumping a bit to get the person trying to shoot at you to make a silly mistake, and because your quick scoping, you see the muzzle flare from wherever hes shooting from. then headshot him. then relocate.

When i manage to win with like 30-0 this is what im doing, mainly wake and jalalabad.

And if you have a good commander you dont need to run and cut off the enemy. infact let them get the flag = more kills for you

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard