MGS3_GrayFox
+50|6159
So yeah, its that day of the year today.  Today, 35 years ago, a CIA backed coup in Chile headed by General Augusto Pinochet topples the democratically elected President Salvador Allende. Pinochet remains in power for almost 17 years.

Discuss.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

The Americans never seem to make very good choices when installing their pet dictators. Is he still technically the leader though? I thought he'd retired but still pulled all the strings on the current leader.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

The British Mandate of Palestine was also started on this day.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum

Kmarion wrote:

ziiiiing
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6724|St. Andrews / Oslo

Kmarion wrote:

also, Pete Rose of the Cincinnati Reds gets his 4,192nd career base hit, breaking Ty Cobb's record which had stood for over 60 years on this day in 1985.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
MGS3_GrayFox
+50|6159

Kmarion wrote:

Tsk, sad thing is everyone only remembers the attacks on New York, no one seems to remember anything wrong their country did (this applies to whatever nasty thing happened in the UK and then the British Mandate of Palestine in the case of the Brits.).
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463

Kmarion wrote:

Glorious event.

Makes me weep tears of patriotism and pride.

I love 9/11!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6455|Tyne & Wear, England
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

Tsk, sad thing is everyone only remembers the attacks on New York, no one seems to remember anything wrong their country did (this applies to whatever nasty thing happened in the UK and then the British Mandate of Palestine in the case of the Brits.).
Yeah it's a shame people remember friends, family, and loved ones who were lost in the attacks... you insensitive prick.
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6354|Vancouver

mtb0minime wrote:

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

Yeah it's a shame people remember friends, family, and loved ones who were lost in the attacks... you insensitive prick.
It's not just select families and friends, it is an entire nation that has raised this event into a monumental moment that many believe to be the greatest tragedy ever to occur, or at least they act that way. Many nations have suffered worse, numerous times. It is a shame, no doubt, but it is significant amongst world history only because Americans and their government seek to make it significant.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

11th of September.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

Drakef wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

It's not just select families and friends, it is an entire nation that has raised this event into a monumental moment that many believe to be the greatest tragedy ever to occur, or at least they act that way. Many nations have suffered worse, numerous times. It is a shame, no doubt, but it is significant amongst world history only because Americans and their government seek to make it significant.
Werd.
Strngs012
Could I have 10,000 marbles please
+40|6410|Florida
It's my brothers birthday.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

ghettoperson wrote:

Drakef wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

Werd.
For someone who is sooo tired of hearing about it you sure have made it a point to make an appearance in every thread regarding the date. You're looking more obsessive than the people you are criticizing.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.
So I heard 3 threads were made for London bombings...

Oh.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6175|Ireland
No need to be jelous my foriegn friends, hopefully each of your countries will be brought to their knees by the peaceful religion of Islam so you too can start a thread.
jord

Lotta_Drool wrote:

No need to be jelous my foriegn friends, hopefully each of your countries will be brought to their knees by the peaceful religion of Islam so you too can start a thread.
Already have, pretty much every country on the planet has had a worse attack in the name of terrorism, so wait until 2011 when my mate Osama puts his real plan into action.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

My original intended reply to the thread that got closed...but equally applicable here:

================

While I realize it means fuck-all to you and many of your fellow euros, we lost many, many good people that day.

If you had something similar happen to your country, I'd be willing to bet my fellow countrymen would show a bit more respect than you have today...not that you've set the "more respect" bar very high, mind you.

And people talk about the "ugly American"
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
jamiecracker
+17|6740|Wollongong,Australia

Strngs012 wrote:

It's my brothers birthday.
same here
jord

FEOS wrote:

If you had something similar happen to your country
That's the only thing that bothers me. I'm fine with Americans up until this point. And it's the second time this has happened. You need to have a quick look at world history because a lot of older countries have gone through worse, in old times and modern. It's using 9/11 as a "You don't know what it's like you have it easy" when really we've been there and got the t shirt.

Other than this, have a nice remembrance.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6175|Ireland

jord wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Already have, pretty much every country on the planet has had a worse attack in the name of terrorism, so wait until 2011 when my mate Osama puts his real plan into action.
Well then, how foolish of Americans to remember the greatest attack to ever happen too their country by terrorist.  I guess it is alright too make light of it.

Listen up everyone, Jord says 9-11 was no big deal and we shouldn't give any signifacance to it in America because of Irish potato famine and the plague happened.
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

jord wrote:

FEOS wrote:

That's the only thing that bothers me. I'm fine with Americans up until this point. And it's the second time this has happened. You need to have a quick look at world history because a lot of older countries have gone through worse, in old times and modern. It's using 9/11 as a "You don't know what it's like you have it easy" when really we've been there and got the t shirt.

So you're saying your country has been attacked out of the blue, when not in a state of war, by terrorists who killed over 3,000 people in a couple of hours?

Gee, you'd think that would've made the history books or something.

FFS...us remembering what happened to our country that day doesn't detract from anything that happened to yours. No more than you remembering a tragic event in your country detracts from our remembrance of 9/11. This isn't a zero-sum game.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
jord

FEOS wrote:

jord wrote:

FEOS wrote:

So you're saying your country has been attacked out of the blue, when not in a state of war, by terrorists who killed over 3,000 people in a couple of hours?

FFS...us remembering what happened to our country that day doesn't detract from anything that happened to yours. No more than you remembering a tragic event in your country detracts from our remembrance of 9/11. This isn't a zero-sum game.
Yes I know it doesn't detract significance. See the part of what you said that I quoted. You're playing the same card that I've seen before, when things like that have happened to others and for some reason you don't think so.
MGS3_GrayFox
+50|6159

FEOS wrote:

My original intended reply to the thread that got closed...but equally applicable here:

================

While I realize it means fuck-all to you and many of your fellow euros, we lost many, many good people that day.

If you had something similar happen to your country, I'd be willing to bet my fellow countrymen would show a bit more respect than you have today...not that you've set the "more respect" bar very high, mind you.

And people talk about the "ugly American"
Katrina raped New Orleans back in the day and many of your fellow countrymen cared shit about it (and it happened in your country), I find it hard to believe you will show respect to something that happened outside your country.
FEOS
+1,182|6403|'Murka

jord wrote:

FEOS wrote:

jord wrote:

Yes I know it doesn't detract significance. See the part of what you said that I quoted. You're playing the same card that I've seen before, when things like that have happened to others and for some reason you don't think so.
I have no idea what you're talking about. I wasn't playing any cards. Did your country have something similar happen to it? Do US people on these boards demean it when you mention it?

I thought not.

That statement was directed at the fucksticks who would make light of the events of that day. If you aren't one of them, it didn't apply to you.
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard