LCN_Hagii
+0|6697
I recently sent this letter to EA to see what they would do. I wanted to find out how many people hate or condone the racist trash talking that pops up during a game. So im starting a poll to find out the demographics of the game.

quote:
Im an avid player ever since the game came out. I have no gripes about the game and I think your work is great. I can stand by profanity, I use it frequently in real life, but not in the game, not even in voip. I was just playing on the EC 8 a server between 12 am and 1 am and ran into the one thing I hate the most. Racist trash talking directed at blacks. I cannot think that you would condone this. The player in question was H8CKorrupt. He continuously used the ā€œNā€ word, and worst of all another player in his clan sat by and said nothing. I would hope this kind of behavior would result in a minimum of a ban from ANY EA servers and at maximum he loses all of his points and ranks. I will be posting this letter to the various BF2 forums to see how others feel this should be dealt with and would appreciate a response soon.
shspunkrockr
+0|6776
I'm not racist, and I have no love for any racist people, but racisma has existed for centuries and it's not gonna go away. When H8CKorrupt is saying a bunch of racist shit, he doesn't realize that he's just making an ass out of himself and by people like you and me not saying shit like that, we are being the real men. I'm sure he wouldn't come down here to Salinas and start saying shit like that.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6860
Its basicly name calling, when he gets banned enough he will shut his mouth. Do we really need the " Nanny State Police"   in our video games too? please just ignore it before Hillary clinton gets " Involved "

I cant believe you " sent this letter to EA to see what they would do. " Are you from Vermont by any chance?
LCN_Hagii
+0|6697
ha ha ha, good points, I just think it takes so much away from the game.
TehSeraphim
Thread Ender
+58|6747|New Hampshire
I agree with punkrockr, but a little differently.

I'm not a racist really, but we're all racist to a certain degree; let me redefine that.  We're all prejudice against someone a little bit - it's the extent to how powerful these feelings are that defines who we are and how racist we are. 

We all have preconceived notions about people, these notions can be based on skin color, religion, or even how they dress.  However, racism is all around us - it's brought up every day in schools, work places, and in the media.  This is never going to go away - even if we were a race of humanity where we were all grey and exactly identical and named doug, we would define each other and hate each other based on these definitions; this is human nature.  I can understand how parents might want to shelter their children from this, but unfortunately I believe that sheltering them will do more harm than good.  It is by being sheltered that we are allowed to develop a racist mentality - by not being exposed to this we don't know what others go through, and therefore cannot empathize with anyone on this subject becasue we cannot see where we are coming from.

My solution is this, and I wish EA would take up on this.  Instead of the fascist punkbuster kicks for language, install a language filter in the game.  Any combination of letters such as fuck or ass can be starred out, and this can only be done if a parental control is set - this way, everyone wins.  As for voip, you can simply turn it off and maybe lock that under parental controls as well.  You can't please everyone, but I think this is the best way to go about it...
Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6829|Orlando, FL - Age 43
I take it that you all don't listen to much rap/hip-hop then.
shspunkrockr
+0|6776

Darth_Fleder wrote:

I take it that you all don't listen to much rap/hip-hop then.
No, actually I don't . . .
TehSeraphim
Thread Ender
+58|6747|New Hampshire
It's a little different....kinda.

If you call your own people something, it's much different then calling others it.  I mean, we as Americans can call each other stupid americans or soemthing like that, but we come down like a hammer when other countries do it to us.

As for a minority picking on a majority with racist slurs and whatnot - I guess thats the priviledge of being a minority.
TSal2111
+1|6770
Racism is just a part of human nature on this planet.  Its one of those things, ESPECIALLY in a game like this that people try and use as a weapon.  Granted its stupid and meaningless, but it can sometimes get under peoples skin, which is the whole purpose of using that kind of trash talk. 

If it really bothers you, just think of who's saying it.  Chances are more then substantial that the poor dummy running his mouth non-stop is just embracing the only outlet he has to talk like that.  IT was already said, "Lets see him come to Salinas and say that"  which is exactly to the point, he wouldn't, can't.  Remember its just the internet, everybody here is 6'8" 240lbs. and has a brother thats a navy seal or some shit.   

EA really can't do much about it because thats a First Amendment right of the user.  They paid for the game just like you did, and they still maintain the right to be a dorkus, just as you maintian the right to be civilized.  You can always try my tactic, when they say something like that.. respond with LOL and Thx

Usually they get all bent and start working on somebody else.. or they leave.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6789|Cambridge (UK)
Should we tolerate racism? Of course not.

Was this guy being racist? That depends - as others have implied, certain sections of the black community use the 'n-word' themselves to refer to one other and I believe it's used in the sense that 'brother' is often used - i.e. it's actually term of comradeship... It all depends on how it was being used.

It's similar to the way homosexual men have reclaimed the words 'gay' and 'queer' and use them to refer to themselves with pride...
Yan
+0|6733
racists are fucken idiots.
my nick is YanZhenDong (im not chinese, its from a movie) and i joined a squad once and immediatly the squad leader says " get off my squad u fuckin gook!"  so i changed teams and just spent the rest of the round hunting him down.
so the moral of my story is, all stupid racists should be shot.
(i do agree with TehSearaphim in that everyone has predjudice but thats a bit different to offensive brainless racism)

my 2c

Yan
Erkut.hv
+124|6758|California
<rant>

"N-word".... lol. The word is nigger. There is nothing wrong with the word itself, it's the racist asshole who uses it that you should be concerned with.

Here's something to offend you:

Honky, spic, nigger, chink, gook, frog, pole, limey, slope, guido, greaser, kike, cracker, mick, camel jocky dothead.

Hey, check this out. I am whitey the blue eyed devil honky motherfucker. My girlfriend is a chink. The girl before that was a nigger. The one before that was a pink skinned honky. Even hooked up with a spic or two.

You people are too fucking sensitive. I'm not a racist, and racist words don't bother me. If any of the previous statements offend you, you should seek help, because you are thin skinned and weak.

The easiest way to end racism is to joke about it, to the point where some cocksucker from the kkk can say nigger and everyone just laughs at the racist backwards piece of shit.

</rant>

There we go.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6785

Yes
jord
+2,382|6701|The North, beyond the wall.

Erkut.hv wrote:

<rant>

"N-word".... lol. The word is nigger. There is nothing wrong with the word itself, it's the racist asshole who uses it that you should be concerned with.

Here's something to offend you:

Honky, spic, nigger, chink, gook, frog, pole, limey, slope, guido, greaser, kike, cracker, mick, camel jocky dothead.

Hey, check this out. I am whitey the blue eyed devil honky motherfucker. My girlfriend is a chink. The girl before that was a nigger. The one before that was a pink skinned honky. Even hooked up with a spic or two.

You people are too fucking sensitive. I'm not a racist, and racist words don't bother me. If any of the previous statements offend you, you should seek help, because you are thin skinned and weak.

The easiest way to end racism is to joke about it, to the point where some cocksucker from the kkk can say nigger and everyone just laughs at the racist backwards piece of shit.

</rant>

There we go.
true.racism will always exist but can be stopped in servers just by a simple ban.
Encoded
The bf2s eunuch
+11|6739
w00t for Erkut.  My nigga!
Esker
+1|6750
Gotta say Erkut's response has got to be the best one on this entire subject. It's fucking irritating hearing people whine on about it "Oh racists that, racists this".

Anyone who's seen ytmnd.com will know they have an archive full of "Nigga stole my...." The guy who found this the most funny that I know and actually showed them to me was actually black. He's also the only guy I know who was bitched at in a server not so long back for saying "Nigger stole my hummer" when I nicked it and drove off without him...

Last edited by Esker (2006-01-19 10:46:38)

OpsChief
+101|6699|Southern California
Racism is a plague. Skack talk is a load of crap.

But the "N" word thing is confusing to me now. In a time where people fought and died for civil rights and equal treatment (the 60's-70's) a time when decent minds prevailed the use of the "N" word was discouraged and codified into law. Now it is used by any race to refer to any race for whatever purpose or meaning, I have heard it used (in a documentary) by skin head racists refering to their own white racist friends while talking about what trash crime they were about to commit!!! The "N" word is a word with too many meanings now to be a flagged as a racist word. The racism is in the treatment not the words. Hurtful words are the tool of people with challenged vocabulary. Feel sorry for the smack talkers because thier vocabulary keeps them in trouble and sadly that makes them feel 'cool'.

It still sux to use or hear that smack on the VoIP but it's the same smack in the barracks, streets, schools, workplaces.....
Erkut.hv
+124|6758|California

Esker wrote:

"Nigger stole my hummer"
That's one of the funniest things I have ever heard.... i'm trying not to laugh out loud at work.
Berserk_Vampire
Banned
+7|6711
Post edited. Let's try and be less racist mm'kay?
TC><Injecter
+4|6851|Berlin, Germany
Thats kinda fun because N I G G A (which is different from nigg ER) is the mate word... But the ER word is racist... But not everybody knows that or just thinks thats funny... So just look away... Hes an idiot and thats all
shspunkrockr
+0|6776
The group of guys I hang out with consists of a sandnigger, a regular nigger, a couple of spics, some vietcong, and me, the nazi . . . My point is that you can actually have fun with stuff that is totally racist, me and my friends make fun of each other all the time. I live next to an old military base, and if we hear an explosion, we're like "was that ahmed?" but it's all in good fun, none of us take it personally, and if someone we don't know calls us something, we jump them . . .
wannabe_tank_whore
+5|6800

TehSeraphim wrote:

It's a little different....kinda.

If you call your own people something, it's much different then calling others it.  I mean, we as Americans can call each other stupid americans or soemthing like that, but we come down like a hammer when other countries do it to us.

As for a minority picking on a majority with racist slurs and whatnot - I guess thats the priviledge of being a minority.
WOW is all i have to say about your comments.

Now I will give my opinion on you based on your comments.  You live in utter hypocrisy.  You follow the attitude, live as i say and not as i do.  You're a joke.  You have built your castle in sand. ("white castles made of sand, melts into the sea" - Jimi Hendrix)

Try to think for yourself instead of listening to jesse jackson and al sharpton.
wannabe_tank_whore
+5|6800
I bet none of you can define racism without looking it up.
tor11
Grunt
+18|6783|Os , Norway
People that are coming with racist remarks and other hate spitting words are people ho are werry insecure about them self an other other people from countries they dont know mutch about! Scared also i belive for the unknown! The best way i think is to just ignore them, as one said earlier they are only making an as of them self, and we are going too lett them doo just that!

Cristh my english teacher is rotating in her grave now, typing errors, im seeing the red marking pen over the screen now!!!!!! :-)

Last edited by tor11 (2006-01-19 14:26:17)

Erkut.hv
+124|6758|California

tor11 wrote:

People that are coming with racist remarks and other hate spitting words are people ho are werry insecure about them self an other other people from countries they dont know mutch about! Scared also i belive for the unknown! The best way i think is to just ignore them, as one said earlier they are only making an as of them self, and we are going too lett them doo just that!
I agree my Norwegian cracker brother. =P

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard