Jackabo
+127|6556|Dublin, Ireland
I always think to myself before I start a book how long I think that it's going to take me to finish it. A book of medium length (200-300 pages) would take about a week. If a book had about 150 pages I'd do it in a day if it was good. I don't understand how people can read books that are 1000 pages long in short periods of time. My religon teacher said she read the Bible in a week. She was studying it at the time but c'mon? Is that even possible.

Well how about you?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6535|Long Island, New York
Depends. If it's something I chose to read, 3-5 days. If it's something the school forces me to read...as long as I possibly can.
SealXo
+309|6534
i read a wuarter of it then put it down
unless it involves information
The#1Spot
+105|6537|byah
I only read an actual book when it is school related. Other than that I read about stuff that interests me online as there is unlimited knowledge available.
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.
In the process of reading a book for the last 3 months...

That said it's really not what I thought it would be. So I rarely pick it up.

300/400 pages, if it's good, a week or so.
Jackabo

The#1Spot wrote:

I only read an actual book when it is school related. Other than that I read about stuff that interests me online as there is unlimited knowledge available.
That being said. Ever since I've discovered forums I've stopped reading considerably. I think it's more interesting to see views, thoughts, problems and advice of real people all over the world. I would only read a book for entertainment or for school also.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5962|London, England

Someone didn't do his summer reading

Last edited by Mutantsteak (2008-08-24 19:17:49)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6437|King Of The Islands

Poseidon wrote:

If it's something the school forces me to read...as long as I possibly can.
I still haven't finished Triage... and I never will.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
BlackKoala
+215|6323
I read so unbelievably fast.  I read the Hobbit over the course of three days, and that was with a job, school, and gym time in there as well.
Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6728|Uhh... erm...
Depends. I breezed through The Da Vinci Code in a day, but Zorba the Greek's taking me ages.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

I started reading War and Peace but only got a few chapters into it before I gave the book a big fuck you.

I'll read most novels within a week, though.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
What's more important, the pace and speed that you read a book or how much you pick-up and absorb from it?

I wouldn't recommend 'speed reading' to anyone Although if I am skimming for the purpose of revising or finding a particular passage/reference, then typically I'll read a page or so of standard-print in roughly 10 seconds. Skimming and reading are however two entirely different 'skills'!

TheAussieReaper wrote:

I started reading War and Peace but only got a few chapters into it before I gave the book a big fuck you.
It's a big novel with big ideas . Tackle it in chapters and perhaps re-read several important sections; you'll feel a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction when you get to the last page of a behemoth tome like that!

Last edited by Uzique (2008-08-24 19:38:15)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6663|NT, like Mick Dundee

Jackabo wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

That being said. Ever since I've discovered forums I've stopped reading considerably. I think it's more interesting to see views, thoughts, problems and advice of real people all over the world. I would only read a book for entertainment or for school also.
Same, I still read though.

Best book I've picked up recently was Somme Mud.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Brasso
+1,549|6628

stop jackazilla on his post rampage
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Jackabo

haffeysucks wrote:

stop jackazilla on his post rampage
CosmoKramer
CC you in October
+131|6617|Medford, WI
1-2 weeks, everyone should read the enders games series, greatest series ever
Tripulaci0n
+14|6154
Depends on how much time I have to read. I read .75 to 1 pages per minute on average though. Recently I've been on a lot of planes and long car rides, so I'll knock out a book in like a day.
`MetaL*
Just an ordinary guy, Looking for lulz.
+45|5752
Less than a week for a 400-500 page book.
It has to be good though.
StormEye
Sniper
+50|6643|Malibu
I guess it just depends on number of factors.
1. How closely I pay attention to the details in the book
2. Interest level / concentration level
3. Things to do (other than reading)

If the book does not have much literature value, but I have general interest in the book and do not have much other things to do, I can finish the book in about a day and a half.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6445|Chicago, IL
depends on the book, it can take months if the book is average, or a 20 hour reading binge if it's amazing
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6485|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
I can read a 300-400 page book in one day. If I a really into the book I can take it down quick. The special edition The Stand, I read that in a day and a half.
CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6505
i'm slow at reading.  My mind wanders off about the subject i'm reading about.  I don't read fiction books tho, always non-fiction.  I'm reading Apocolypse 2012 right now and every page i just stop reading and think for 5 minutes till my mind snaps back to reality.  plus i only read before i go to bed for an hour or so.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6670|Colorado
I consume books at an alarming rate, much faster than the average bear.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6471|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Started to read The rise and fall of the third reich. Got 20 pages done and put it back on the shelf. Gonna try again in about 20 years.

Usually I read a chapter or two. Depends on how interesting it is. Dan Brown is a real pain in the ass. Can't stop reading because the clever bastard knows how to keep the reader going
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6663|NT, like Mick Dundee

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Started to read The rise and fall of the third reich. Got 20 pages done and put it back on the shelf. Gonna try again in about 20 years.

Usually I read a chapter or two. Depends on how interesting it is. Dan Brown is a real pain in the ass. Can't stop reading because the clever bastard knows how to keep the reader going
Somme Mud... It's a history book with attitude.

Actually it's some random Australian private's account of his wartime experiences, abridged, edited and published for the world. Some of the stunts they pulled were pretty funny.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard