Poll

Do you agree with the gay marriage approval in California?

Yes67%67% - 112
No27%27% - 45
I don't know0%0% - 0
Plead the fifth3%3% - 5
Other? (Please State)1%1% - 3
Total: 165
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

I didn't think you were suggesting that. I was exaggerating. I'm not a fan of the word either, but it works. So I use it when I think I have to distinguish statistical norm, as you put it, from certain exceptions.

"Those people" could also sound stuck up on occasion, too. *shrugs*
uziq
+492|3453
watching you guys blunder through a debate on language is p. funny.

"we don't need a word to describe a statistical norm". funny. there are dozens of words for things that are the 'statistical norm'. what you are arguing against is the habit of inventing pointless neologisms. 'demisexual' is my latest favourite one. i think it means that you need 'emotional attachment before you'll sleep with someone'. because that's a new thing, right?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

I can't think of a better word for what this is than 'blundering.' I think writers are stumped on what would be the best PC ways to address all this. Or at least I can't find a decent consensus.

Demisexual sounds like something out of the incestuous Greek pantheon or an Appalachian snake cult. Does hemisexual refer to men humans who love trucks engines too much? (e: thank you drunkface, the joke looks funnier now … )
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone
Can't women love their trucks too?

But more to the point 'hemi' also refer to an engine not a vehicle.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2016-02-27 03:09:02)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
In the meantime people are being tortured, dying, the global climate is almost at the point of no return which could kill us all,  - but whats important?

Whether gays have the right words on a piece of paper and whether they're being called by names which are mildly offensive when looked at from an extreme perspective.

Gays are being thrown off buildings in Syria - you'd think that would be an issue they'd be concerned about but no.
As a group gays are tedious, small-minded and self-absorbed, I'm tired of listening to their crap. The PC social warriors are actually worse.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5179|Sydney
You're talking shit as usual. You're always coming from an ideology framed in mild outrage. Oh my gosh!!!!1!!one!1!!

First you look at a minority, then say anything offensive said to them ever is an overreaction on their end, then point to said minority and the tragedy that occurs in one country to a minority of that minority, and then to summarise take such a specific prejudice (and yes, fucked up situation) as a closure to your comment as a blanket statement to the entire homosexual movement.

You're fucking weird, dude.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Should someone have kindly explained to Rosa Parks that she was wasting time on civil rights because of how problematic malaria could be elsewhere? I don't get it. Why we should put social development on hold in one country because it's behind in another is beyond me, Dilbert.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jaekus wrote:

You're talking shit as usual. You're always coming from an ideology framed in mild outrage. Oh my gosh!!!!1!!one!1!!

First you look at a minority, then say anything offensive said to them ever is an overreaction on their end, then point to said minority and the tragedy that occurs in one country to a minority of that minority, and then to summarise take such a specific prejudice (and yes, fucked up situation) as a closure to your comment as a blanket statement to the entire homosexual movement.

You're fucking weird, dude.
I'm complaining about LGBT marxists hijacking the education system to achieve their weird social re-engineering agenda.

This idea that no-one can ever be offended by anything and that anyone who doesn't like where we're going is guilty of though-crime is bizarre and dangerous.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Should someone have kindly explained to Rosa Parks that she was wasting time on civil rights because of how problematic malaria could be elsewhere? I don't get it. Why we should put social development on hold in one country because it's behind in another is beyond me, Dilbert.
This isn't about civil rights, its about using the education system to brainwash kids.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm complaining about LGBT marxists hijacking the education system to achieve their weird social re-engineering agenda.
Beg pardon?

This idea that no-one can ever be offended by anything and that anyone who doesn't like where we're going is guilty of though-crime is bizarre and dangerous.
So, the shit LGBT take from people is totally reasonable because they're "weird," but you're concerned that a bigot might get hit with backlash from social media for voicing his toxic opinion?

Dilbert_X wrote:

This isn't about civil rights, its about using the education system to brainwash kids.
You mean schools shouldn't be encouraging tolerance? It's pretty normal for teachers to tell kids how to think. Social conservative dogmatists are just mad because it's slipping further away from their backwards influence. However, bigots still graduate despite this clockwork orange leftist dictatorship you're clamoring about in the education system.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
What 'shit' are LGBT taking from people?

Of course schools should encourage tolerance, what we're talking about is an agenda to thoroughly confuse children about what is normal and what isn't, and to make LGBT a special group of people who can never be discussed except in deferential terms.

A local politician thinks LGBT shouldn't get special treatment compared with other minority groups, that makes him a homophobe. This 'shit' is out of control.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

What 'shit' are LGBT taking from people?
Wow. It's too late at night for this …
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No but really, Sydney is the gay capital of the world, the roads are closed for the annual moustache parade, what 'shit' are they taking these days?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Beg pardon?

So, the shit LGBT take from people is totally reasonable because they're "weird," but you're concerned that a bigot might get hit with backlash from social media for voicing his toxic opinion?

Dilbert_X wrote:

You mean schools shouldn't be encouraging tolerance? It's pretty normal for teachers to tell kids how to think. Social conservative dogmatists are just mad because it's slipping further away from their backwards influence. However, bigots still graduate despite this clockwork orange leftist dictatorship you're clamoring about in the education system.
The pendulum has swung too far the other way. It's gotten ridiculous with calls for safe spaces and other bs. PC culture is no different from ultra religious intolerance.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
People have been complaining about PC culture destroying  American society and stopping free thought since 1964. Don't be that guy.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

The concept of a "safe space" is pretty fucking stupid.  The idea that some people are clamoring for them due to discrimination and abuse is depressing.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

But ken, according to dilbert there are no discriminations or abuses against gay people. It's just normal people who have to put up with the inconveniences of living near them.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

and their alternative lifestyle is seeping into educational and other institutions, dissolving the strong moral fabric that holds society together. 

Macbeth thinks the same thing of immigrants, but only non-white ones.

It makes me sad that otherwise intelligent human beings can be so fucking stupid due to their own insecurities.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

The concept of a "safe space" is pretty fucking stupid.  The idea that some people are clamoring for them due to discrimination and abuse is depressing.
The concept of safe spaces was poorly explained to you or maybe you are a case of an otherwise intelligent person not getting it.

The idea first came about when feminist groups on college campuses wanted to get together to discuss things like campus rapes without having to explain to or argue down a guy who showed up to tell them college rape wasn't real or that they were asking for it. So they started safe space meetings where everyone agreed on a basic premise so that they wouldn't get bogged down and where women were able to explain delicate examples where they were raped without judgement.

It proliferated from there since BLM groups didn't feel like dealing with people who wanted to tell them race and iq stats when talking about police brutality. And gay groups don't like to be called abominations.

Frankly I am disappointed in you and newbie right now
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

I'm familiar with what the concept is and how it came about and it's evolution into being a space where no one can say anything bad.  Thanks for the history lesson, but I was active in student politics and social justice issues when I was in college too.  It's still a fucking stupid concept.  The fact that some people can't speak about serious topics without resulting in shouting and physical and verbal abuse is sad, especially when those same people trot out the freedom of speech as a dearly held right.

I've always had the position that you win people over with kindness and logic.  People who shout down protesters and the like are making themselves look stupid - it's an effective argument against what they are promoting.

I dropped out of a social justice club in college because they were self-avowed marxists who would sell krispy kreme donuts on campus to fund their rallies.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I'm familiar with what the concept is and how it came about and it's evolution into being a space where no one can say anything bad.  Thanks for the history lesson, but I was active in student politics and social justice issues when I was in college too.  It's still a fucking stupid concept.  The fact that some people can't speak about serious topics without resulting in shouting and physical and verbal abuse is sad, especially when those same people trot out the freedom of speech as a dearly held right.

I've always had the position that you win people over with kindness and logic.  People who shout down protesters and the like are making themselves look stupid - it's an effective argument against what they are promoting.

I dropped out of a social justice club in college because they were self-avowed marxists who would sell krispy kreme donuts on campus to fund their rallies.
I am unsurprised that you a cisgendered white man would be interested in repeatedly arguing points regarded social issues. It is very symptomatic of your kind to think your opinions matter that much. Of course you dropped out of the social justice club. Your heart was never in it anyway. Sorry if I offended you. This is a free speech zone.

I love immigrants. Immigrants love me.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

ok
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

ok
Damn, I think I went to far with that sarcasm. Made Ken pull a Jay.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

no, its just that usually your trolling is more veiled.  I'm not a fan of responding to nonsense.  Occasionally you can lure me in, but it has to be more nuanced.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
I don't understand what you keep referring to when you say "veiled trolling". Could you put out a post of mine. I barely remember what I post.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard