chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6818|"Frisco"

Been awhile, eh?

When the first incarnation of bf2s, 'bf2stats' was put up on my personal site, I was astounded when my host told me I had to move because I had exceeded my bandwidth costs.

When my next host told me I had to move, because the service was taking up to much processing power and was crashing machines, I was a quite stunned.

When the site hit 1,000,000 hits a day, I though I had reached a crowning achievement in my web development career. Then it doubled, and again, and again, and again. Last time I checked, ya'll was causing more than 21,000,000 hits PER DAY against this website. To say I am elated would be an grievous understatement.

Now it's time to move again. BF2S, thanks to everyone's patronage, has outgrown this machine. As such, it's also outgrowing the 1.2TB/month data transfer allotment. I'll be purchasing a new server soon. This server won't be a super raid monster -- bf2s requires very little actual hard drive space. Instead, I'll be putting this monster of a process-intensive beast together:

- Rackmount case and mobo by iwill
- Dual AMD Opterons, 2.0ghz
- Dual 36gb Raptors, Raid 1
- 16GB ram

As you can see, the focus on the machine is going to be raw power, not storage. I'm doing this because I hate slow websites. With a passion. I've written, and rewritten almost every section of code on this website at least 3 times in order to make it work better, faster. (It's also why the sigs had to take their leave...)

Obviously, this new machine is going to be up to the task.

You can expect to see the introduction of BF2S Ranking, along with the likely return of the sigs, when the new server is in place. There's a lot of other exciting projects in the bf2s works, but they're not for talking about yet wink

Of course, when building your own server, you have to get bandwidth from somewhere and I don't quite think that my home line DSL is going to cover it. I'll probably be hosting the new bf2s with these folks. At $500ish/month it's a pretty damn good deal for a host. More importantly though, it's local -- I've already been through the tour of the facility. (Cool place big_smile)

Here's looking forward to more!
Sahasrahla
Code poet
+1|6715|Branson, MO, USA
w00t!

EDIT (for a more thought-out reply...): Yay first post And DAMN! nice server

Ok, I guess that wasn't that much more insightful was it?

Last edited by Sahasrahla (2006-01-17 12:50:51)

$kelet0r
+16|6652
who's paying for all this 0.0
chuy you too cool! keep up the superb work
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6791|Belgium

Wow,

You were talking about a sweet rig... But this is amazing. "Nice" does you injustice... I can't find a fitting superlative

Cheers,
R
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6746|Scotland!!!

chuyskywalker wrote:

21,000,000 hits PER DAY

.... As such, it's also outgrowing the 1.2TB/month data transfer allotment.............. At $500ish/month.....
nice update there chuy!

i cant believe the figures of that 21,000,000 hits per DAY , an the 1.2 TB!! data transfer . then theres the cost, iv never really gave it much thot about how much the server was costing, maby its time to click the little paypal button lol. anyway, looking forward for more updates on the new features for BF2S

Lynx
midgetspy
+3|6798

$kelet0r wrote:

who's paying for all this 0.0
chuy you too cool! keep up the superb work
Well 21 million hits a day with google ads on each page has gotta help at least a bit ;-P

Looking forward to the new server!

Nic
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6645|Planet Seibertron ;)
Here's to hoping for the sig return.  I hope your new host will serve your needs well.  If the sigs don't return, then I'm sure many will understand why.

I like the design and effort you made into the site.  I haven't found any other sites that's as informative as this.
TC><Injecter
+4|6798|Berlin, Germany
NICE O.o ............. But I can't believe only the Google Ads are enough to pay that!?
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6775|Portland, OR, USA

chuyskywalker wrote:

Last time I checked, ya'll was causing more than 21,000,000 hits PER DAY against this website.
Holy fucking hell.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
TC><Injecter
+4|6798|Berlin, Germany
Oh yeah, could you say how much hits come from which country?!
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6818|"Frisco"

TC><Injecter wrote:

NICE O.o ............. But I can't believe only the Google Ads are enough to pay that!?
They do. They're pretty out of the way too, which is what blows my mind about it. I'm contemplating adding a small google ad under the TableOfContents in the wiki. Maybe, not sure if it's needed or not. (I rather despise ads, but they pay 'da bills.)
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6752|The Hague, Holland
Tallyho!
Sgt.Gh0st's useless question of today,

Will www.BF2s.com be down for a couple of days?
During the Host/Server switch?
wooly-back-jack
Jihaaaaaad!!!
+84|6710|England
thanks chuy, you and your site rock. end of
shikimoribito
+0|6703|México
All I can say (and sincerely) is thanks man, you are doing a hell of an effort here. Maybe it's time you guys (and gals?) show some gratitude towards chuy's work here.

Again, good job man.
$kelet0r
+16|6652
what blows my mind is that there are no ads in the forums, no ads on the wiki and no ads on the actual stats page for an individual - chuy you're getting away lightly lol
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6818|"Frisco"

Sgt.Gh0st wrote:

Will www.BF2s.com be down for a couple of days?
During the Host/Server switch?
No. Seemless transition, when it happens.
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6791|Belgium

$kelet0r wrote:

no ads on the actual stats page for an individual - chuy you're getting away lightly lol
uhm... there are, so... you did not clicked on it or what?
Now go buy a Microhard Military Radios

R
$kelet0r
+16|6652
lol never saw them before - they're great ... so unobtrusive
you'd never see them if you werent looking for them lol
s4vior6
Save's UR @$$
+1|6716|Somewhere in NYC
Yu da man
Mabec
Re-Member-Me
+6|6802
whats your limit this time, chuy? 47 tb?
morbesso666
+0|6734|Givataim, Israel
go to the most popular site contests
BlackLegion42
Damn Command and Conquer Generals...
+62|6700|Rochester, NY
Thanks and keep up the great work to keep such a great site running!
MegaBlast
+0|6751|UK
The popularity is simply a credit to you craft and the slick content of the site.

21 million a day is mighty impressive and there are very few global corporations, news sites (CNN/BBC) that can can claim anything near that. 

Thanks for all you efforts and well done for the single handed acheivement!
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6775|Portland, OR, USA

chuyskywalker wrote:

TC><Injecter wrote:

They do. They're pretty out of the way too, which is what blows my mind about it. I'm contemplating adding a small google ad under the TableOfContents in the wiki. Maybe, not sure if it's needed or not. (I rather despise ads, but they pay 'da bills.)
They really do pay a decent amount? Damn, I may have to re-add them to my site now that I'm getting decent hits.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
AdamEcks
+1|6673|Canada, Eh.
So does this mean the queue for stats updates will be a shorter wait? It's not uncommon for the ETA of the next update to be 10-20 hours (for me atleast anyway) when the site is under heavy load.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard