NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6340|Atlanta, Georgia
Since my mobo died on me i had to order new parts. Now i can i just take my hard drive out, hook it up to my new computer, and then proceed to install the new drivers? Or do i have to completely start over?
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6487|Gogledd Cymru

You can, but there will be conflicts, it is safer to just reformat and install windows on it again.
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
I just wanna be able to get my music off of it.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6487|Gogledd Cymru

NeXuS4909 wrote:

I just wanna be able to get my music off of it.
Transfer all your music to another hard drive then, I keep all my music/vids and photos on one hard drive, and all programs and vista on another hard drive, then I can keep my collection even If I reformat my windows drive.

Last edited by The Sheriff (2008-08-22 17:52:52)

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6451|The Twilight Zone
Sheriff should be in the tech team tbh
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum

.Sup wrote:

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Brasso
+1,549|6628

FatherTed wrote:

.Sup wrote:

so should a lot of people.

generally you'll have troubles with a windows install that was done with a different mobo, as sheriff said.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
well my computer is broken so i cant transfer the files. This was really my only option
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6565|NYC / Hamburg

linux live CD + external HDD
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
mikkel
+383|6599
If you know which make and model your old and new motherboards are, then I'd suggest looking up the technical specifications of both of them. If they share a common harddisk controller, putting the old harddisk in the new computer will typically work. If they don't, you'll be wanting to delete or disable all harddisk controller drivers from your Windows installation before booting in the new machine.

This can be done from any machine, regardless of harddisk controller, using the Recovery Console feature found on the installation CD. From there, you can disable harddisk controller drivers, and any other conflicting drivers that may exist in your installation, using the listsvc and disable commands.

You may want to check the Knowledge Base article on the recovery console.

As a rule, you should always reinstall your operating system after considerable hardware changes, unless you have a need to retain your old installation.

Last edited by mikkel (2008-08-23 02:35:00)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6565|NYC / Hamburg

tech team tbh
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
ReTox
+100|6497|State of RETOXification
If it is XP then it is relatively easy to do a repair install.  I've done it a hundred times and as long as you keep a slipstreamed disc up to date you will have no issues.

Boot off the disc, opt to install Windows.  It will search for previous versions.  Select yours and press 'R' for Repair.  It will go through the install process but instead of wiping everything out all it will do is repair files and most importantly rebuild the hardware cache.

It's the hardware cache that causes NT based version of Windows to bsod or stop screen when you have significant changes.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard