.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6452|The Twilight Zone
Codemasters, Atari, and others will demand settlement money from 25,000 UK residents they claim illegally shared games online; EA Sports' Moore says it's a bad idea.
The gaming industry is working harder than ever to stifle piracy. Last month, Ubisoft sued a disc duplication company for the online leaking of Assassin's Creed on the PC weeks before its retail release. Earlier this week, the Entertainment Software Association introduced Kenneth Doroshow as its new general counsel. Doroshow's work history includes a stint with the Recording Industry Association of America, notorious for protecting its members' copyrights by suing individuals for file-sharing music.

Now the Times Online is reporting that the next step in the industry's antipiracy efforts will target the individuals who illegally download games. According to the report, a group of game developers consisting of Atari, Codemasters, Topware Interactive, Reality Pump, and Techland intends to serve notice on 25,000 suspected bootlegging gamers. Those who receive the notices will have the option of settling the claims out of court with a payment of £300 ($563). The developers will then pick 500 of the people who ignored the letters and take legal action against them.

The companies have appointed commercial law firm Davenport Lyons to represent them in this endeavor. Earlier this week, the firm won a £16,000 ($30,000) judgment against an unemployed mother of two for illegally downloading Topware's Dream Pinball 3D through a file-sharing site, The Times Online reports.

Not everyone in the gaming industry welcomed the news. While attending the 2008 Leipzig Games Convention, EA Sports president Peter Moore told GamesIndustry.biz that the approach hasn't worked for the music industry.

"I'm not a huge fan of trying to punish your consumer," Moore told the site. "Albeit these people have clearly stolen intellectual property, I think there are better ways of resolving this within our power as developers and publishers."
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6536|Long Island, New York
lol, anti-piracy measures.
.Sup
be nice

Poseidon wrote:

Seems they lost the fight against Torrent sites and who the most defenseless against publishers than the users.
latinolink
plop plop flop flop
+11|6655|west liberty IA

.Sup wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Seems they lost the fight against Torrent sites and who the most defenseless against publishers than the users.
http://thepiratebay.org/legal these are all the legal threats on the pirates bay i read all of them its pretty funny, but anyways yeah I'm glad I'm not one of those 25000... yeah so glad.
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6372|Kyiv, Ukraine
Its funny, but I sat through a presentation pitch by a company trying to sell its version of "piracy protection" to Crytek.  They trotted out a list of games that were securom protected (and cracked), then a list of games that they protected and claimed weren't cracked.  What did the protected list have in common?  All the games sucked.

So, the conclusion is that to pay a lot of money to make sure the game isn't pirated by adding a 3rd party protection, you need to have a two-prong approach to be sure it works...you need to make sure the game sucks.  I'll work that into the production plan.

Really, the best way for a game to not be pirated is to make it free to download, free to register, free to play

Game companies really need to get away from the dinosaur business model and get with the new show.
.Sup
be nice
They need to think more. I would support ads in game if that means the game will be free of charge. So are ads in game the answer to all this?
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6730|St. Andrews / Oslo

Some chick was fined £16k for sharring cracked games on BitTorrent
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
ReTox
+100|6497|State of RETOXification
I'm a developer by profession.  I've worked with encryption and cryptography and I an say without a doubt that anything that can be conceived and written can be broken.  It is simply a matter of moving the 1s and 0s in the right order.  It may take time but it can always be broken... always.

Anti-copy measures do nothing but become a hindrance to legit paying customers.  Pirates can usually break something they want to pretty damn fast.  Case in point: Macrovision took almost 2 years to develop CSS for DVD scrammbling.  They spent a shitload on it and DVDJon had it cracked in just over 2 weeks.  The same with HD-DVD and BluRay.  They were both broken shortly after release.

Companies need to take a look at reality and get out of their delusional little bean counting world.  Make a good game, charge a reasonable price, without any hassles for those who just bought it and you will profit.  Might not be as much as you would like but you'll also save by not having to develop or license anti-copy schemes in the first place.

9 In Nails and Radiohead showed that non-traditional distribution and business models work.  Game companies need to do the same.
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.

latinolink wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

http://thepiratebay.org/legal these are all the legal threats on the pirates bay i read all of them its pretty funny, but anyways yeah I'm glad I'm not one of those 25000... yeah so glad.
Yours sincerely,

James Young
Internet Investigator

Shit I wish I had that job. Just browsing the internet looking for torrent sites then send them an automated message...
The#1Spot
+105|6538|byah

.Sup wrote:

They need to think more. I would support ads in game if that means the game will be free of charge. So are ads in game the answer to all this?
I agree 100%. Although I am seeing more and more advertisements creeping onto games as the consumer still pays 50$.
.Sup
be nice

The#1Spot wrote:

.Sup wrote:

I agree 100%. Although I am seeing more and more advertisements creeping onto games as the consumer still pays 50$.
They are greedy. Until they stop being that I will download torrents.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina
Meh, they won't do shit, they just want to scare gamers.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6833|Kubra, Damn it!

.Sup wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

.Sup wrote:

You should steal all your clothes too. The clothing manufacturers are greedy. Another business that's even greedier than they are is the restaurant industry. There's a huge mark up on food. Worst of all is their return policy. If you buy food there and aren't satisfied with it, you can't return it the next day, not even if you have the receipt. Geez, most places give you 30 days to think about it. You don't even get a trial period to eat a meal and decide if you like it or not. Steal your food. They deserve it.

You know what other business is greedy? All of them. Steal everything. They're all capricious bastards trying to make money! Speaking of greedy, wouldn't someone who thinks he deserves other peoples' hard work for free be considered... greedy? Oops!

Considering games have been $50 for the past 10 years, while almost everything else has gone up in price, I don't mind the ads at all. Especially since they don't disrupt my gameplay.

Last edited by chittydog (2008-08-22 09:28:54)

jord

chittydog wrote:

.Sup wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

You should steal all your clothes too. The clothing manufacturers are greedy. Another business that's even greedier than they are is the restaurant industry. There's a huge mark up on food. Worst of all is their return policy. If you buy food there and aren't satisfied with it, you can't return it the next day, not even if you have the receipt. Geez, most places give you 30 days to think about it. You don't even get a trial period to eat a meal and decide if you like it or not. Steal your food. They deserve it.

You know what other business is greedy? All of them. Steal everything. They're all capricious bastards trying to make money! Speaking of greedy, wouldn't someone who thinks he deserves other peoples' hard work for free be considered... greedy? Oops!

Considering games have been $50 for the past 10 years, while almost everything else has gone up in price, I don't mind the ads at all. Especially since they don't disrupt my gameplay.
Yeah but it's easier to "steal" internet games than it is real world things.

Internet laws, serious business.
latinolink
plop plop flop flop
+11|6655|west liberty IA

jord wrote:

latinolink wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Yours sincerely,

James Young
Internet Investigator

Shit I wish I had that job. Just browsing the internet looking for torrent sites then send them an automated message...
i wish i could be the web sheriff also have my shiny badge and my six shooter.
The#1Spot
+105|6538|byah

chittydog wrote:

.Sup wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

I can buy a generic brand t shirt for around 10$ that will do the exact same thing that a 30 or 40$ name brand shirt will do. Cover the torso part of my body. I have the option to buy a cheaper car that will do the same as an expensive car. It may take me longer for travel but the option is there. I can buy generic brand foods for less than name brand. With games no matter how bad the coding is or the support from the people who made it it will cost 50$. I doubt you would pay for something that is incomplete or poorly made. If the game had an option to be bought for 50$ without ads and 25 to 35$ with ads with free 10-20min full version trial the torrenting problem will be greatly reduced.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

And all this happens right as I want to mod my PSP and get some more games for it ...

Bah, oh well. Even the Nazi-like regime of EA said punishing your customers was stupid.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

so they are in the wrong for wanting people not to rip them off?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

Poseidon wrote:

why is that funny?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

usmarine wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

why is that funny?
Because they never work. Ever. And they only provide hassles for people who DO buy games legally, like myself.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

Poseidon wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

why is that funny?
Because they never work. Ever. And they only provide hassles for people who DO buy games legally, like myself.
so they should stop trying?
.Sup
be nice

chittydog wrote:

.Sup wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

Who said others aren't greedy? But downloading files is easy- I don't even have to do anything, no risk. So tell me why would I go steal a sandwich and risk being caught?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

usmarine wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

usmarine wrote:

why is that funny?
so they should stop trying?
No, but if they're going to do it, come up with a new idea that won't affect gamers like myself who want to buy these games and not have any hassles.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6833|Kubra, Damn it!

The#1Spot wrote:

chittydog wrote:

.Sup wrote:

I can buy a generic brand t shirt for around 10$ that will do the exact same thing that a 30 or 40$ name brand shirt will do. Cover the torso part of my body. I have the option to buy a cheaper car that will do the same as an expensive car. It may take me longer for travel but the option is there. I can buy generic brand foods for less than name brand. With games no matter how bad the coding is or the support from the people who made it it will cost 50$. I doubt you would pay for something that is incomplete or poorly made. If the game had an option to be bought for 50$ without ads and 25 to 35$ with ads with free 10-20min full version trial the torrenting problem will be greatly reduced.
It's still stealing. If you're so upset about the price disparity and lack of competition, you could go make your own generic brand games. This is all supply and demand. The reason the generic t-shirt is $10 is that's the mot they can charge and still have people buy it. If you write some designer's name on it, suddenly people are will to pay $50. Considering how much more expense goes in to creating a game over a t-shirt, $50 isn't all that bad. Instead, we should be thanking the game makers for giving us the low $50 prices, rather than charging $80 for the "designer" games.

The fact remains, games are luxury items. Nobody needs them. There's nothing criminal or wrong with the makers charging as much as they want for them. As consumers, we think it sucks, but it's their perogative. You don't like it, don't buy it. Definitely don't steal it. Not only is it wrong (you'll burn in hell from the devil's lava dick ), but it keeps interest in the games higher, which keeps demand higher, which keeps prices higher. It also forces game companies to keep prices higher to deal with the losses their taking from all the theft. If all you game thieves would just boycott the expensive games, prices would come down. Not much, but they would.
jord

chittydog wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

chittydog wrote:

It's still stealing. If you're so upset about the price disparity and lack of competition, you could go make your own generic brand games. This is all supply and demand. The reason the generic t-shirt is $10 is that's the mot they can charge and still have people buy it. If you write some designer's name on it, suddenly people are will to pay $50. Considering how much more expense goes in to creating a game over a t-shirt, $50 isn't all that bad. Instead, we should be thanking the game makers for giving us the low $50 prices, rather than charging $80 for the "designer" games.

The fact remains, games are luxury items. Nobody needs them. There's nothing criminal or wrong with the makers charging as much as they want for them. As consumers, we think it sucks, but it's their perogative. You don't like it, don't buy it. Definitely don't steal it. Not only is it wrong (you'll burn in hell from the devil's lava dick ), but it keeps interest in the games higher, which keeps demand higher, which keeps prices higher. It also forces game companies to keep prices higher to deal with the losses their taking from all the theft. If all you game thieves would just boycott the expensive games, prices would come down. Not much, but they would.
Or just... Ya know, download them for free...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard