13rin
+977|6486
http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersE … 8220080820

Lisa Shumaker wrote:

By Lisa Shumaker - Analysis

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Iran has emerged as one of the top buyers of wheat from the United States this marketing year, but political tensions between the two countries make it unlikely that Tehran will be a regular buyer from the world's top wheat exporter.

Iran has booked more than 1 million tons in its first purchases from the United States in 26 years. The deals, made over several weeks and valued at an estimated $350 million, were sparked by a drought that will likely reduce wheat production in Iran, one of three countries President George W. Bush labeled as an "axis of evil."

Iran stopped buying U.S. wheat following the Iranian revolution in 1979 which ousted the pro-U.S. government and provoked a hostage crisis at the U.S. embassy in Tehran that lasted 444 days.

Prior to 1979, Iran had bought 150,000 to 1.3 million tons of U.S. wheat a year, according to the U.S. Agriculture Department.

"To cover their needs, they will have to go to many different origins to secure the amount of wheat they are looking for," said Prudential Financial analyst Shawn McCambridge. "Iran came to the U.S. with, I'm sure, a little bit of reluctance."

The United States and Iran have been at odds over Iran's nuclear program. However, the need for food cuts across politics.

Drought is expected to reduce Iran's wheat crop by 20 percent to about 12.0 million tons, its lowest level in six years, according to the U.S. Agriculture Department. Iran is expected to import 4 million to 6 million tons of wheat to make up the shortfall.

"If they could, I think they wouldn't buy a single ounce of U.S. wheat," said a U.S. trader. "But a lot of the wheat coming out of the Black Sea is feed quality and their ports can only handle so much business. There are some concerns about the quality of wheat in Europe."

In addition to 1 million tons of U.S. wheat, Iran is believed to have purchased 1.5 million tons of Canadian wheat, 1.5 million tons of Black Sea wheat and 1 million tons of European wheat, traders said.

"They are negotiating to take 500,000 tons of new-crop Australian wheat to top it off for this season," said another U.S. grain trader.

The U.S. government prohibits virtually all trade with Iran except for carpets, dried fruit, nuts and caviar. However, there are additional exceptions for humanitarian aid, medicine and food.

The last time the United States enacted a grain embargo was against the former Soviet Union following its 1979 invasion of Afghanistan.

"From the U.S. perspective, that type of measure works against us rather than for us," McCambridge of Prudential said. "The posture is that food wouldn't be used as a weapon."

The United States recently said it would provide 500,000 tons of food to North Korea even as the countries continue to wrestle over verifying claims that North Korea has dismantled its nuclear weapons program.

(Reporting by Lisa Shumaker; editing by Jim Marshall)
So why bother with the economic sanctions if we turn around and feed these fuckers?  I'd bet money that the people eating the wheat products have no Idea that the great Satan is feeding them.  What the hell is going on?
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6562
It's what your nation is founded on: unscrupulous capitalism. Are you honestly surprised by this?
13rin
+977|6486

CameronPoe wrote:

It's what your nation is founded on: unscrupulous capitalism. Are you honestly surprised by this?
Well, Kind of surprised (& hi Cam).  It just doesn't make any sense.  Why feed those who are dead set against you?  We have hungry people here in the US.   

I think our nation was founded on a quest for religious freedoms (only as long as you believe the same shit as those that came over on the boat with you) and unfair taxation.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6562

DBBrinson1 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Well, Kind of surprised (& hi Cam).  It just doesn't make any sense.  Why feed those who are dead set against you?  We have hungry people here in the US.   

I think our nation was founded on a quest for religious freedoms (only as long as you believe the same shit as those that came over on the boat with you) and unfair taxation.
It was originally founded on a quest for religious freedom but today's America is quite far removed from that given that no matter what denomination you are Christ's message was the same: 'No to materialism'.

As to why you should be trading with a nation you evidently hate so much I don't know - at the end of the day governments will almost always take the option which is economically most advantageous to the nation (or themselves). I mean, why didn't the west stop buying oil off Saddam? Economics > Pettiness/Principles always.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6297|Éire

DBBrinson1 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

You think the situation in the OP is ironic? Get a load of this.
462nd NSP653
Devout Moderate, Empty Head.
+57|6691

CameronPoe wrote:

I think there are MANY who would disagree with that generalization. And if you think (even if it were true) that capitalism is what this country is founded on, then you might want to check other country's major exports and who the buyers are.  I'm sure you'll find plenty of hypocrisy to go around. Few are immune to the temptations of wealth.

Last edited by 462nd NSP653 (2008-08-21 19:28:26)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6160|what

DBBrinson1 wrote:

So why bother with the economic sanctions if we turn around and feed these fuckers?  I'd bet money that the people eating the wheat products have no Idea that the great Satan is feeding them.  What the hell is going on?
Don't punish the people, punish the evil dictators.

You understand the concept, 'winning hearts and minds'?

Australia is a major wheat exporter, we're in drought at the moment but still export plenty. If we can make money of the Iranians we'll do it.

If the United States can make money from it, they should too.

Your not hurting anyone from it. Your probably also improving your economic status at the same time.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6418|'Murka

Because we're warmongering...by selling them food and stuff.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6722|US
...longstanding US policy...
We'll sell "evil" nations foodstuff because it is not the population that we hate...just the government/specific groups.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6536|Global Command
So we can make them dependent on us and then we starve them.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6723

CameronPoe wrote:

That's all we're about...?
that's funny... retarded generalizations are great...lol
Love is the answer
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5869
not just the U.S but Israel aswell

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree … connection
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6297|Éire

462nd NSP653 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I think there are MANY who would disagree with that generalization. And if you think (even if it were true) that capitalism is what this country is founded on, then you might want to check other country's major exports and who the buyers are.  I'm sure you'll find plenty of hypocrisy to go around. Few are immune to the temptations of wealth.
I realised the levels to which America's unscrupulous capitalism went when I visited ground zero. I couldn't believe what I saw, it was just like any other tourist attraction complete with numerous stalls selling 9/11 t-shirts, flags, ornaments and DVD's of the events on 9/11. It was totally surreal and It was then that I realised that in America people are prepared to capitalise on ANYTHING.
Mavik
+22|5784|Germany
You say people in the US are starving? Well, they are free to buy the grain, are they not? Oh, they have no money - pity...
Your government/grain traders are not taking away the food from your own people to give it away for free to your "enemies", they simply refuse to give it to anyone who is not able to pay for it - and give it to anyone who can.

And if letting a misguided, uneducated, misinformed peaple hunger because their government opposes yours is a valid cause of action for you - then I have nothing elso to say to you.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6418|'Murka

Mavik wrote:

You say people in the US are starving? Well, they are free to buy the grain, are they not? Oh, they have no money - pity...
Your government/grain traders are not taking away the food from your own people to give it away for free to your "enemies", they simply refuse to give it to anyone who is not able to pay for it - and give it to anyone who can.

And if letting a misguided, uneducated, misinformed peaple hunger because their government opposes yours is a valid cause of action for you - then I have nothing elso to say to you.
Um...what?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6672|NT, like Mick Dundee

rammunition wrote:

not just the U.S but Israel aswell

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree … connection
Read whole thread, check links, then post again.

Your link has already been posted.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
PureFodder
+225|6293
Why would the US do this?

Money obviously.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6764|Argentina

CameronPoe wrote:

Watch it dude.  Being there, you could be sent to Gitmo for talking bad about this government.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6187
So America making money off of wheat and controlling where it goes is a bad thing??? Hmmm....so oil producing countries who like Iran, control, manipulate and threaten oil supplies is better. Yeah, I feel really sorry for the Iranians.  Maybe they should spend some of that oil money on better things than nuclear and military and feed their people better.  What country doesn't control or use their resources for their own benefit?....., but all the sudden its big bad America again in these threads.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6769

sergeriver wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Watch it dude.  Being there, you could be sent to Gitmo for talking bad about this government.
so you want iranian people to starve?

you do know that iran had its wheat struck a very bad wheat disease a while back right?  you know that yes?  if you did you would keep your yaps shut.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6764|Argentina

usmarine wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

so you want iranian people to starve?

you do know that iran had its wheat struck a very bad wheat disease a while back right?  you know that yes?  if you did you would keep your yaps shut.
Where did I say I want them to starve?  Take your beer and shutty.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6628|London, England
Like the article says, the need for food cuts politics. Besides it's not like it's being given away for free.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6350|tropical regions of london
its the argentine woman's soccer team I have a problem with, not the argentine people.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6764|Argentina

God Save the Queen wrote:

its the argentine woman's soccer team I have a problem with, not the argentine people.
Me too, they suck.  The US won the final, didn't it?
BALTINS
ಠ_ಠ
+37|6493|Latvia
like the article partly mentions it, the US sold grain to the Soviets too. So who cares.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard