.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6478|The Twilight Zone
https://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/19/hel_td_beam.jpg

The Army is moving ahead with plans to mount a laser cannon on a massive, 35-ton-plus truck.

The service just handed Boeing a $36 million contract to "continue developing a truck-mounted, high-energy laser weapon system that will destroy rockets, artillery shells and mortar rounds," according to a company statement.

Under the High Energy Laser Technology Demonstrator (HEL TD) Phase II contract, awarded Aug. 15, Boeing will complete the design of, then build, test and evaluate, a rugged beam control system on a Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck. Boeing also will develop the system-engineering requirements for the entire HEL TD laser weapon system.

Low power demonstrations are scheduled for 2010, with battlefield-strength laser tests to follow in 2013.

About a year ago, the Army asked Boeing and Northrop Grumman to work up preliminary designs for the HEL beam control system -- and promised to choose a winning model by 2009. So the program appears to be on track. And it's one of a number of energy weapon projects that have been picking up steam, after decades of unfulfilled promise. Relatively easy-to-deploy electric lasers have just about worked their way up to weapons-grade. Boeing recently test-fired the real-life ray gun on its Advanced Tactical Laser -- a blaster-equipped gunship.  Raytheon has worked up a prototype of its Phalanx mortar-shooter that uses fiber lasers, instead of traditional ammo, to knock down targets. Even the eternally-delayed Airborne Laser -- a modified 747, designed to zap ballistic missiles -- may finally get a long-awaited flight test.
[Image: Boeing]

Looks interesting. The power of that laser will have to be amazing.

Last edited by .Sup (2008-08-21 05:38:12)

https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6644|Mhz

Be interesting to see how they go about stopping small arms fire damaging that rather fragile looking lense. $36m for a big shiney laser than can be rendered useless by a mentalist with an AK isn't very good.
PureFodder
+225|6310
Well it sure beats the old ideas about using chemical lasers which would amount to sitting a large chemical bomb in your own base.
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6378|West NY
So...this thing will shoot explosive rounds out of the sky?
.Sup
be nice

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Be interesting to see how they go about stopping small arms fire damaging that rather fragile looking lense. $36m for a big shiney laser than can be rendered useless by a mentalist with an AK isn't very good.
I'm sure this thing is gonna be firing from long distances, safe from any danger.
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6253|NSW, Australia

IM CHARGIN MAH LAZZEEEERRRRRRRRRRR

lol

seriously

(someone make a gif)
Brasso
+1,549|6654

.Sup wrote:

I'm sure this thing is gonna be firing from long distances, safe from any danger.
Perhaps they could implement a cover on it similar to a camera lens cover.  It uncovers, shoots, covers back up again, all within a couple seconds.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
.Sup
be nice

haffeysucks wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Perhaps they could implement a cover on it similar to a camera lens cover.  It uncovers, shoots, covers back up again, all within a couple seconds.
Belgium had something like that during WW2. There were openings in the ground and inside it was a cannon. After the cannon fired the opening closed itself.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6644|Mhz

.Sup wrote:

But Insurgents are EVERYWHERE!

I agree though the risk is low but, it's still a weakness to be exploited.

haffeysucks wrote:

.Sup wrote:

That seems like a logical way around it.

TBH now they've got around making these things small enough and powerful enough to be useful I can't see it taking all that long to get them into production, 10-15 years or so maybe.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2008-08-21 07:32:22)

Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6378|West NY
What.
Is.
Its.
Purpose?
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6644|Mhz

Noobpatty wrote:

What.
Is.
Its.
Purpose?
It's fricken lazer beams they don't need a purpose!
motherdear
+25|6676|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)

Noobpatty wrote:

What.
Is.
Its.
Purpose?
so far it would be anti missile systems, at more advanced stages it could be mortar covers for the bases
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5778|Roma
EVE is becoming reality.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Longbow
+163|6671|Odessa, Ukraine

.Sup wrote:

Belgium had something like that during WW2. There were openings in the ground and inside it was a cannon. After the cannon fired the opening closed itself.
Did it help Belgium?
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6367|tropical regions of london

mortar rounds, artillery shells and rockets arent small arms
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6645|London, England

aerodynamic wrote:

EVE is becoming reality.
No these lasers are quite different from your stupid sci fi ones.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6644|Mhz

God Save the Queen wrote:

Not really the point I was making.
God Save the Queen
Banned

God Save the Queen wrote:

Not really the point I was making.
stopping small arms wasnt the point the guys who made this thing were trying to make either.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6644|Mhz

Erm I didnt say to was to stop small arms, I said how are they going to stop small arms fire fucking up the lense on the laser.

'SHOOT DOWN THAT ARTILLERY SHELL.'

'I can't sir, that bellend with a sniper rifle just nackered the laser.'
God Save the Queen
Banned
what the hell is a belland, ive been seeing that word more and more lately.

the thing will be far from any chance of small arms being used on it if it gets fielded and put into action.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6645|London, England
Bellend - Bell End.

You know...
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6492
https://allstars.cnclabs.com/files/public/renders/prismtank.jpg

tbh
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6623|S.C.
Northrop Grumman Joint High Power Solid-State Laser (JHPSSL) Program
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6471|Boulder, CO
Simplest way to stop insurgents damaging it is to put in the middle of the army base, your not going to be putting the thing in the middle of nowhere, you want it at the base to defend the base.
PureFodder
+225|6310
Lets be serious though and ask the question that everyone wants to know:

What happens if you shoot someone in the face with it!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard