LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6387|MN

Turquoise wrote:

We shouldn't dignify them with our company.  Granted, we shouldn't trade so damn much with them either.
Have you been to China?
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6412|North Carolina

LividBovine wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

We shouldn't dignify them with our company.  Granted, we shouldn't trade so damn much with them either.
Have you been to China?
Nope, but....  I know a lot about what they've been doing to the Uyghurs.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6387|MN
How can you call the people oppressed?  Let me be more accurate, how can you call 1.3 billion people oppressed?

I am not saying that the GOVERNMENT is not failing at handling many situations, but I would not call the general public of China oppressed.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Turquoise
O Canada

LividBovine wrote:

How can you call the people oppressed?  Let me be more accurate, how can you call 1.3 billion people oppressed?

I am not saying that the GOVERNMENT is not failing at handling many situations, but I would not call the general public of China oppressed.
I'm calling the Uyghurs and Tibetans oppressed as a result of their second class citizen status.  I'm calling the average Chinese person oppressed because they are being watched by a police state.  They are rising in standard of living, but they have few personal rights.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6692|United States of America
Pretty much everyone is being repressed in China from expressing their true opinions. The guy on Colbert Report yesterday talked about it, and it was even visible when Rob Riggle was reporting from Beijing. Did you see how all the people were shying away from the camera, and how much attention they had by the Chinese fuzz? The government there doesn't want anyone rattling those cages and proving to the Western media that people are dissatisfied.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6387|MN

Turquoise wrote:

LividBovine wrote:

I'm calling the Uyghurs and Tibetans oppressed as a result of their second class citizen status.  I'm calling the average Chinese person oppressed because they are being watched by a police state.  They are rising in standard of living, but they have few personal rights.
I don't give a whole lot of credence to people who have visited countries for a couple days or weeks and say they understand the culture/politics/economy, but it does give a little insight to how they live their daily lives and what that standard of living actualy is at the time.  I would not classify the people of China as oppressed, maybe my definition is a little more confined than yours. 

The conversations I had with chinese citizens while there were very enlightening.  They were very free in speaking to me about how they felt about their government.  I never got the sense that they felt watched and were not able to speak freely.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6654

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

A lot of people in here seem to be ignorant of what is going on with the gymnast situation. First, this isn't and never was about America losing to a bunch of kids and now they are poor sports and all the sudden bring this up. I have been watching the olympics since it started and since I work at home, I have had the games on all the time. The complaints started as soon as the practices started for the gymnasts, questions were asked and the IOC was said to have looked into it. The questions were NOT coming from only the American team.

Also, do you know how their ages were checked? Only by their passports and anyone with half a brain knows who issues the passports and how a passport proves literally nothing as far as an age...especially since the Chinese government issues them for these kids.

Bella Karoli actually had brought this issue up well before the gymnast even started these events and if anyone would know what an underaged gymnast looks like, he would. He actually has stated that when he coached for the Russian teams, that they would do the same thing because younger gymnasts have a very significant advantage...this is why a gymnast's career is very, very short. Actually, he believes that the age rule should change, so that this cheating doesn't go on. He believes that you either enforce the rules or change them so that this stuff doesn't happen.

Bella also stated that there are quite a few countries that have excellent gymnasts who, because they are under 16, weren't allowed to compete in these olympics, there are even some American gymnasts under 16 who are just as good or possibly better than some of the girls allowed to compete for the olympics. The issue isnt sour grapes...the issue is follow the rules, enforce the rules and if you aren't willing to enforce them, then allow everyone to compete no matter what the age is. Sorry, but you cant bend the rules if other countries are following them. It shouldnt be allowed.
I was gonna say, I could do a lot more pull ups when I was 12 then when I was 18.

TBH when I was watching them I thought all the Chinese girls looked like they were 10. Especially the small one.
Turquoise
O Canada

LividBovine wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

LividBovine wrote:

I don't give a whole lot of credence to people who have visited countries for a couple days or weeks and say they understand the culture/politics/economy, but it does give a little insight to how they live their daily lives and what that standard of living actualy is at the time.  I would not classify the people of China as oppressed, maybe my definition is a little more confined than yours. 

The conversations I had with chinese citizens while there were very enlightening.  They were very free in speaking to me about how they felt about their government.  I never got the sense that they felt watched and were not able to speak freely.
Well, I'm sure you would've experienced something different if they had assembled in front of a government building and spoke out against their government.

Or even more simply put...  If they said something strongly condemning the government on TV, then you might not see them again.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6387|MN
Yes, but even that is changing a bit.  They may not have the same rights we have yet, but it is getting better. 

Back to the task at hand.  What the Olympics mean to the Chinese is hard for some of us to understand.  They take great pride in putting on a good show for the rest of the world.  We would not gain anything by boycotting these Olympics.  It would change anything in how they treat anybody.

As for them deserving to host the Olympics, I can not think of a better tool for showcasing to the world the gains they have made over the past 20 years.  You want to spank the child that is trying to improve themselves or praise them for it?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

DOGPILE!

Now : https://i33.tinypic.com/2vnnlle.gif

Did AP Catch China in Lie on Gymnast's Age?

Just nine months before the Beijing Olympics, the Chinese government’s news agency, Xinhua, reported that gymnast He Kexin was 13, which would have made her ineligible to be on the team that won a gold medal this week…

The Associated Press found the Xinhua report on the site Thursday morning and saved a copy of the page. Later that afternoon, the Web site was still working but the page was no longer accessible. Sports editors at the state-run news agency would not comment for publication…
--------------------------------------------------------------------------https://i34.tinypic.com/2a7gy9l.jpg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6331|New Haven, CT
They can't lie forever.
maffiaw
ph33r me 傻逼
+40|6428|Melbourne, AUS
Turquoise is a bit of a armchair expert isn't he? Slanging negative connotative words like 'oppressed' around like balls of mud.

One thing I will grant you though: Uyghers are indeed poorer than the average Chinese citizen, but things have improved greatly for them, just like it has for the rest of the country.

As for the rest, you will now it is all rubbish if you've actually been there. Normal people are free do criticise the government whenever they want, in fact the government think tanks are constantly attacking various policies in order to reform. (read Mark Leonard's "What Does China Think?") The only things you maybe cant encourage others to do are : Eliminate the govt   (i.e coup d'etat), or Taiwan, Tibet etc should be independent - but these types of things are frowned upon in many other countries, and not like it would get much support anyway. My main point is China is not the old-school Communisto society you think it is, and the media likes to perpetuate it as. If you understood Chinese and went on the internets you would see that even at the grass roots level debate goes on about the government. In fact there was a video on youtube of a History lecturer in Beijing blaming the govt for Cultural Revolution and making fun of Mao etc. He was hailed as the "best teacher ever" on the internet soon after.

Now you see the massive discrepancies on the two sides, and perhaps why so many overseas Chinese people came out to defend themselves during the torch relay. And no, for anyone who is still living a convenient pipe dream, they are not brainwashed.

As for the gymnastics: Age related "cheating" is entirely possible (passports etc are all issued by govt)
Except: 1. sounds an awful lot like sour grapes - bad losers! lol
2. Chinese girls usually look a lot younger. E.g. the eldest in the team, Cheng Fei, is actually around 20( as she competed in the last olympics),
but she looks like 15-16.

My 2c.

Last edited by maffiaw (2008-08-15 01:08:07)

iamangry
+59|6652|The United States of America

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

iamangry wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Yeah, they promised no rain and it rained!  What liars!
lol
It's because they're godless commies who believe that science will stop it from raining, they should have prayed to jesus
No, its because they're retarded commies who believe that their bullshit backwards political decrees will stop it from raining, they should have prayed to zeus... or alternatively to NOAA.  But hey, I guess you have to give them some credit, they've been taking our meteorological data as their own for years without us managing to care one way or another.  I guess they'd win the gold medal in "lazy science" and "bending another nation over without them caring".  So while we struggle to get the next generation of NOAA satellites in space (you know, pushing the boundaries of science through research and toil and economic expenditure, as opposed to stealing the knowledge from someone else), they sit back and make bold claims about how they can do this or that with the weather like it was groundbreaking research by chinese meteorologists that made it possible.  I find that offensive. 

Get a clue people.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6297|Éire
The Chinese have been cheating like fuck in the boxing up to now and one of Ireland's former Olympic swimmers, who is now a doctor, says some of the swimmers HAVE TO BE on performance enhancing drugs from what he has seen...and our swimmers know a lot about performance enhancing drugs!
iamangry
+59|6652|The United States of America
another good example.  See, American medical science was able to successfully cross a human and dolphin at birth.  He is now known as Michael Phelps.  Unfortunately, the chinese are still trying to affect the same results with juice. (/sarcasm, in case it wasn't clear.)
jord
+2,382|6685|The North, beyond the wall.
There should be a a seperate game for steroids. Would cut down on uses in the Olympics and would make for some crazy ass games.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6628|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

...or we can go ahead and admit that the Olympics lost their relevance back in 1936 when we let Hitler host the games.
Some of us enjoy still enjoy it. Actually I think 4 billion of us still enjoy it.
1 billion live under a police state and are "encouraged" to enjoy it.  Another billion live in great poverty and probably are lucky to even have a TV.

I just think we should only let more ethical countries host the games.  Hosting this in Beijing is a slap in the face of human rights.
4 billion CUMULATIVE.

I guarantee you more people watch the FIFA World Cup. Also I bet in China all they're showing is the Olympics to boost the ratings.

Think about it. How many people go to the Pub/Bar to watch football games. Quite alot right. Now how many would go to do the same thing for the Olympics. I doubt very much. People don't take into account things like this when measuring ratings.

Like someone else said here, they care alot about public image and will lie, cheat and steal to look the best. It's already been proved by the Opening ceremony. I shouldn't even be giving these people the time of the day.

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

usmarine wrote:

well, all these theories are great and all, but the fact is right now it is against the rules.  simple as that.
If China made sense, this would be able to be proved, and if the world made sense, this wouldnt be a problem. Nothing we can do about it except feel sorry for a team that (sorta) got cheated out of their medals and then move on.
Sore loser.  A bunch of kids beat your experienced gymnastic team and you blame age.
The gripe is that, why is it one rule for China and another for the rest.

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-08-15 07:04:40)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
This is some serious Orwellian-1984 memory-hole shit.

Altering documents, newspapers etc. Haha.

"He who controls the past..."

But then again I don't care to whine over a few Gold medals, it's all fun and games.

Last edited by Uzique (2008-08-15 07:23:01)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Spazz
+7|6573

Lotta_Drool wrote:

It is very sad when a NATION's GOVERNMENT decides to CHEAT at a GAME and can't even do it without it being OBVIOUS.

I hope Darwin continues to be kind to them.
These 12 year olds still beat the seasoned veterns of the US and other countries despite being so young ill bet if the China had won silver or something people wouldn't be so crazy of the ages of these girls. They are jus pissed cause they got their asses handed to em by kids younger than them
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6187

Spazz wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

It is very sad when a NATION's GOVERNMENT decides to CHEAT at a GAME and can't even do it without it being OBVIOUS.

These 12 year olds still beat the seasoned veterns of the US and other countries despite being so young ill bet if the China had won silver or something people wouldn't be so crazy of the ages of these girls. They are jus pissed cause they got their asses handed to em by kids younger than them
Are you an idiot??? People really have this story all wrong and twisted into something again somehow blaming America and in this case the American gymnasts. The complaints did not start or happen AFTER the medals were awarded.....they happened even before the competition started and not only from the Americans. Many teams were questioning the ages of the Chinese when practicing started and the IOC did their own check before the gymnasts took the floor. The problem is that the IOC checks ONLY the passports for ages and obviously that is not good enough.

Seriously, people need to get a grip in these forums. The complaints were not from sore losers, it came from many camps. Any person with a brain knows that younger, smaller gymnasts have a significant advantage over older ones. VERY FEW gymnasts compete after their teen years. That is why each Olympics, each country brings pretty much brand new teams. Yes, sometimes a girl will compete in a few Olympics but it is rare. The prime years for gymnasts are very short.

Furthermore, the complaints are not even about who won what or the scores. The complaints are that other countries are following the rules by keeping talented, sometimes better gymnasts at home because the rules clearly state that they must be 16 years old in the year of the Olympics. Quite a few countries kept very talented younger gymnasts at home because of this rule. So many are saying either enforce the current rule or open it up so everyone is on an even playing field. In fact, people are praising the Chinese gymnasts and don't want to take anything from them....the complaints are strictly to get everyone on the same page and to not pick and choose when to enforce rules. Either enforce them or change them....simple as that.

So if any other idiot wants to claim that its a bunch of American sore losers, gtfo because it has and had nothing to do with it and was an issue before the competition even started. Do a little research or better yet listen to the actual conversations from the games themselves. I work at home and have the games on TV while I work and heard this story way back before the gymnasts even hit the floor.
jord
+2,382|6685|The North, beyond the wall.

Spazz wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Yup.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6187

jord wrote:

Spazz wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Yup.
Nope,

read my post above.....complaints started well before the competition began.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6628|London, England
Furthermore, the complaints are not even about who won what or the scores. The complaints are that other countries are following the rules by keeping talented, sometimes better gymnasts at home because the rules clearly state that they must be 16 years old in the year of the Olympics. Quite a few countries kept very talented younger gymnasts at home because of this rule. So many are saying either enforce the current rule or open it up so everyone is on an even playing field. In fact, people are praising the Chinese gymnasts and don't want to take anything from them....the complaints are strictly to get everyone on the same page and to not pick and choose when to enforce rules. Either enforce them or change them....simple as that.
QFT

And if countries are allowed to break the rules but others aren't, well then it makes a mockery of the games. Not that the games aren't already a big mockery anyway.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Numerous news agencies: Here is documented evidence of their lie and the subsequent attempt to cover it up.

Retort: Asians look young.

Quote of the day:
How indeed would an eventual gold-medal gymnastics team overseen by the same government that faked multiple aspects of the opening ceremony to make sure everything went according to script gain such an unfair competitive advantage?

So rotten does this smell, so widely has it been covered (NYT, LAT, NPR, Screencaps, Associated Press, more, and so suspect is the ChiComs’ ruthlessness that there’s probably no “next step” needed at this point to convince most of the audience that it’s a sham. So much for the regime’s dream of the Olympics burnishing its image. The one move left is for the IOC to investigate, but if they aren’t willing to punish the Iranians for refusing to swim with Israelis, what are the odds that they’re going to confront the host nation with a humiliating scandal? I hope they don’t intervene, frankly. Let them share the grandiose, discrediting embarrassment.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
oChaos.Haze
+90|6445

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

jord wrote:

Spazz wrote:

Yup.
Nope,

read my post above.....complaints started well before the competition began.
I've watched almost every second of the games, just like you.  I never heard anyone say ANYTHING until the women's team competition.  Then Bela Karolyi started to quietly complain during the analyst segments.  And China had just so happened to start looking like they were going to win.

And once again, to stop the argument right here right now, IF YOU GOT BEAT BY KIDS YOU DESERVE IT.  The China kids were better than the American women.  Game over, we lost, they won.

gg

Last edited by oChaos.Haze (2008-08-15 10:18:48)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard