Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6412|North Carolina

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

...or we can go ahead and admit that the Olympics lost their relevance back in 1936 when we let Hitler host the games.
Some of us enjoy still enjoy it. Actually I think 4 billion of us still enjoy it.
1 billion live under a police state and are "encouraged" to enjoy it.  Another billion live in great poverty and probably are lucky to even have a TV.

I just think we should only let more ethical countries host the games.  Hosting this in Beijing is a slap in the face of human rights.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

usmarine wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

...or we can go ahead and admit that the Olympics lost their relevance back in 1936 when we let Hitler host the games.
Some of us still enjoy it. Actually I think 4 billion of us still enjoy it.
ya wtf...i got my reminder set for nbc at 8pm.
Basketball tonight?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6769

Turquoise wrote:

Hosting this in Beijing is a slap in the face of human rights.
oh bollocks.
Turquoise
O Canada

usmarine wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

oh bollocks.
So the fate of the Tibetans and the Uyghurs doesn't concern you?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6769

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

oh bollocks.
doesnt have shit to do with someone swimming fast now does it?
jord
+2,382|6685|The North, beyond the wall.

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

oh bollocks.
See sig for how I feel about boycotter's.

Far worse shit going down elsewhere.

Last edited by jord (2008-08-14 16:40:46)

Roc18
`
+655|5798|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
This is sad. China must really be desperate telling girls to lie infront of the media like that.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6769

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Allowing a supposedly prestigious sporting event to be hosted by an oppressor of millions of people has everything to do with it.  By allowing Beijing to host the games, we implicitly are tolerating their wretched human rights record.
damn near every country in the olympics has a terrible record.  just depends how far back you want to go.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6006|...

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Allowing a supposedly prestigious sporting event to be hosted by an oppressor of millions of people has everything to do with it.  By allowing Beijing to host the games, we implicitly are tolerating their wretched human rights record.
I do wonder why they had the soviet union host olympics (think twice or so) then actually.

I don't approve of them doing what they do though.
inane little opines
Turquoise
O Canada

dayarath wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine wrote:

I do wonder why they had the soviet union host olympics (think twice or so) then actually.

I don't approve of them doing what they do though.
Agreed...  To be honest, I think we should only allow certain countries to even compete.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6769

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

damn near every country in the olympics has a terrible record.  just depends how far back you want to go.
I'm more concerned about what each country is CURRENTLY doing.  Surely, you understand the difference.
we are pretty much all ignoring africa.  thats current.  by ignoring i mean we know what it will take, yet we will not do it.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6692|United States of America
Read about what the other gymnasts say about underage girls. The 20-year-old on the US team was quoted in an article talking about how it is different psychologically for the younger folks who aren't familiar with all the stresses of Olympic competitions. I'll see if I can find the article.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Some of us enjoy still enjoy it. Actually I think 4 billion of us still enjoy it.
1 billion live under a police state and are "encouraged" to enjoy it.  Another billion live in great poverty and probably are lucky to even have a TV.

I just think we should only let more ethical countries host the games.  Hosting this in Beijing is a slap in the face of human rights.
Take it up with the IOC. The point is people still love to watch the athletes. Four billion viewers makes it extremely relevant. The geopolitical climate fucks up enough in the world. Three weeks every other year isn't much to ask for, and boycotting the Olympics sure as hell isn't going to change anything in China. Just play the games. Then it's back to business as usual.

The 17-day event is also expected to attract the largest television audience ever, with a projected cumulative total of 4 billion people likely to tune in.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6769

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I'm more concerned about what each country is CURRENTLY doing.  Surely, you understand the difference.
we are pretty much all ignoring africa.  thats current.  by ignoring i mean we know what it will take, yet we will not do it.
Do tell...  Africa isn't that strategically important to us, so why should we waste time, lives, and money on them?
human rights?  you know, what you were talking about?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Take it up with the IOC. The point is people still love to watch the athletes. Four billion viewers makes it extremely relevant. The geopolitical climate fucks up enough in the world. Three weeks every other year isn't much to ask for, and boycotting the Olympics sure as hell isn't going to change anything in China. Just play the games. Then it's back to business as usual.

The 17-day event is also expected to attract the largest television audience ever, with a projected cumulative total of 4 billion people likely to tune in.
We shouldn't dignify them with our company.  Granted, we shouldn't trade so damn much with them either.
You're punishing a hell of a lot of people with your personal views. The athletes sure as hell don't care. I saw a Chinese women hug an Australian women after winning a swimming event yesterday. Maybe the rest of the world could learn something by watching.  Maybe.

https://i38.tinypic.com/6tifx5.jpg
Russia's Natalia Paderina [left] and Georgia's Nino Salukvadze hug during the medal ceremony

Salukvadze went on to win the bronze shooting medal while Paderina won the silver and China's Guo Wenjung won the gold.

But she insisted that she bore Paderina - once her teammate in the Soviet Union - no ill will for her country's military action, nor for her medal.

"If the world were to draw any lessons from what I did there would never be any wars," she said.

"We live in the 21st Century, after all. We shouldn't really stoop so low to wage wars against each other."
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Commie Killer
+192|6394
Its about the athletes, instead of trying to turn the Olympics more political, why dont we turn it less.
Turquoise
O Canada

Commie Killer wrote:

Its about the athletes, instead of trying to turn the Olympics more political, why dont we turn it less.
Well, if that's the case, then you've got a lot of doping to end first.  It's currently about the roids and the hormones, performance wise.
Commie Killer
+192|6394

Turquoise wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Well, if that's the case, then you've got a lot of doping to end first.  It's currently about the roids and the hormones, performance wise.
That isn't political, least not as much as it used to be. Anyways, all of those things pop up on tests dont they/
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

We shouldn't dignify them with our company.  Granted, we shouldn't trade so damn much with them either.
You're punishing a hell of a lot of people with your personal views. The athletes sure as hell don't care. I saw a Chinese women hug an Australian women after winning a swimming event yesterday. Maybe the rest of the world could learn something by watching.  Maybe.
I'm not punishing anyone.  I don't have the power to punish anyone.  I'm just telling you who I would punish if I had the power to do so.
I was talking about what you were suggesting. (obviously?)
I'm more interested in making a statement against the oppression of the Chinese government than I am in participating in some arbitrary sporting event.
Surely, I'd rather berate them politically through an avenue like this than have to go to war with these bastards, so this would have been a great opportunity to show the Chinese we didn't approve of what their government is doing.  We instead have gone with the program for the sake of entertainment.
The Chinese were drowning their daughters in rice paddies 50 years ago. Do you think they give a damn about your Olympic statement?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I'm more interested in making a statement against the oppression of the Chinese government than I am in participating in some arbitrary sporting event.
Surely, I'd rather berate them politically through an avenue like this than have to go to war with these bastards, so this would have been a great opportunity to show the Chinese we didn't approve of what their government is doing.  We instead have gone with the program for the sake of entertainment.
The Chinese were drowning their daughters in rice paddies 50 years ago. Do you think they give a damn about your Olympic statement?
..and you wonder why I want to have nothing to do with them.

The point is...  if we want a respectable competition, we should only include countries with free societies.
Turquoise
O Canada

Commie Killer wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

That isn't political, least not as much as it used to be. Anyways, all of those things pop up on tests dont they/
There are ways to get around the tests, which is the current issue being resolved.  It's kind of like that whole problem we face in our own domestic sports.  Baseball, in particular, seems to be reeling from the roid controversies.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

..and you wonder why I want to have nothing to do with them.

The point is...  if we want a respectable competition, we should only include countries with free societies.
No, I don't wonder why you would want nothing to do with the actual people who did that.

You have no idea of what it means to be an Olympic WORLD champion.
https://i35.tinypic.com/15d457t.png
Participating nations
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6190|Ireland
It is very sad when a NATION's GOVERNMENT decides to CHEAT at a GAME and can't even do it without it being OBVIOUS.

I hope Darwin continues to be kind to them.
Turquoise
O Canada

Lotta_Drool wrote:

It is very sad when a NATION's GOVERNMENT decides to CHEAT at a GAME and can't even do it without it being OBVIOUS.

I hope Darwin continues to be kind to them.
Agreed...  As much as people blast the U.S., China and Russia have really shown their true colors in recent weeks.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6187
A lot of people in here seem to be ignorant of what is going on with the gymnast situation. First, this isn't and never was about America losing to a bunch of kids and now they are poor sports and all the sudden bring this up. I have been watching the olympics since it started and since I work at home, I have had the games on all the time. The complaints started as soon as the practices started for the gymnasts, questions were asked and the IOC was said to have looked into it. The questions were NOT coming from only the American team.

Also, do you know how their ages were checked? Only by their passports and anyone with half a brain knows who issues the passports and how a passport proves literally nothing as far as an age...especially since the Chinese government issues them for these kids.

Bella Karoli actually had brought this issue up well before the gymnast even started these events and if anyone would know what an underaged gymnast looks like, he would. He actually has stated that when he coached for the Russian teams, that they would do the same thing because younger gymnasts have a very significant advantage...this is why a gymnast's career is very, very short. Actually, he believes that the age rule should change, so that this cheating doesn't go on. He believes that you either enforce the rules or change them so that this stuff doesn't happen.

Bella also stated that there are quite a few countries that have excellent gymnasts who, because they are under 16, weren't allowed to compete in these olympics, there are even some American gymnasts under 16 who are just as good or possibly better than some of the girls allowed to compete for the olympics. The issue isnt sour grapes...the issue is follow the rules, enforce the rules and if you aren't willing to enforce them, then allow everyone to compete no matter what the age is. Sorry, but you cant bend the rules if other countries are following them. It shouldnt be allowed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard