MGS3_GrayFox
+50|6169

Turquoise wrote:

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Bullshit.  We wouldn't want PR as a state because it's too poor.  If our government gave a shit about the interests of the common man, we would've left PR a long time ago and gave it its independence.  PR no longer has a strategic significance.
- True on the PR not being a state because it's too poor (not as poor as Mississippi, but in the same ball park).

PR is a troop mine for the US Army (they get a good number of soldiers here).

The US doesn't drop PR because its easier to spend money on aid for the poor here in exchange of soldiers.
I would think we get enough soldiers from our continental ghettoes and from Latin America in general that we don't need PR as a troop mine.  Besides, we could use it as an exchange for American citizenship if they no longer were a protectorate.  We do the same kind of thing with many Mexicans, for example.  They want the fast route to citizenship, so we should just shorten the process even further for those who are willing to join the military.  This could still include Puerto Ricans without us even having to pay so much in social programs to them.
Well, since we do pay taxes, the US would still have to pay social security here to those who get it / will get it, etc.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

- True on the PR not being a state because it's too poor (not as poor as Mississippi, but in the same ball park).

PR is a troop mine for the US Army (they get a good number of soldiers here).

The US doesn't drop PR because its easier to spend money on aid for the poor here in exchange of soldiers.
I would think we get enough soldiers from our continental ghettoes and from Latin America in general that we don't need PR as a troop mine.  Besides, we could use it as an exchange for American citizenship if they no longer were a protectorate.  We do the same kind of thing with many Mexicans, for example.  They want the fast route to citizenship, so we should just shorten the process even further for those who are willing to join the military.  This could still include Puerto Ricans without us even having to pay so much in social programs to them.
Well, since we do pay taxes, the US would still have to pay social security here to those who get it / will get it, etc.
Good point, but I'm hoping we scrap SS soon anyway.  It's going bankrupt, and there's no way I'll ever see anything from it.
MGS3_GrayFox
+50|6169

Turquoise wrote:

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Good point, but I'm hoping we scrap SS soon anyway.  It's going bankrupt, and there's no way I'll ever see anything from it.
Doesn't matter if its getting scrapped or not, every here who paid the social security tax would have to get the re compensation even if SS ceased to exist before they are able to get it.

And if you do read up on the agreements and everything else, the US would still need to pay social aid for a certain amount of years.

So our road for independence would be great (I want PR to be an independent country), but the US would still be tied to us for quite some years.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

Doesn't matter if its getting scrapped or not, every here who paid the social security tax would have to get the re compensation even if SS ceased to exist before they are able to get it.

And if you do read up on the agreements and everything else, the US would still need to pay social aid for a certain amount of years.

So our road for independence would be great (I want PR to be an independent country), but the US would still be tied to us for quite some years.
Couldn't we just make a big payout and leave it at that?  With as much as we've thrown at Iraq, I'm guessing we could afford it.  We're certainly not bothered by ridiculous amounts of debt (at least our government isn't).
MGS3_GrayFox
+50|6169

Turquoise wrote:

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Couldn't we just make a big payout and leave it at that?  With as much as we've thrown at Iraq, I'm guessing we could afford it.  We're certainly not bothered by ridiculous amounts of debt (at least our government isn't).
I guess you could, the US government paying the PR government with one big check.  I'll have to research that.
13rin
+977|6481

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Someone call the U.S. government and tell them the Cold War has been over for years.
Call Sa- I mean Putin first.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Someone call the U.S. government and tell them the Cold War has been over for years.
I called. No one answered. Apparently Congress walked out.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
JahManRed
wank
+646|6629|IRELAND

More US troops and missiles in Europe on Russia's back door step. Way to relieve international tensions. Are America trying to kick start the cold war or what the fuck is going on?
Chrisimo
+3|5754

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

Have China throw in a draft and the entire world would be fucked, so troop numbers is not your forté.
They still would need to transport and supply those troops if they wanted to invade Europe or the US. Logistics were a big problem for the Wehrmacht and Waffen SS in WW2.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard