-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6660|BC, Canada
I think whomever steps into this role should have capital punishment leveled upon them. It dosent really matter if it was him or someone else, you cant convict that someone else just because there may have been. The fact remains he did this and should be punished for it.

I dont know if it sound right because I have drank a couple... but if someone is a serial killer inside but never kills anyone, you cant give them capital punisment just because they would commint those acts... but if someone is a serial killer inside and does kill people you  can... even drunk that does sound right to me actually...

Althought .... after reading more into the milgram experiments, which i had heard of, but never looked into before, there may still be some legitamacy to the claim,"I was just following orders." but the fact does still remain that he did. True... maybe 60% of people would, but he was still the one who did, and you cant really say I'm just a monkey when millions are dead....

Last edited by Nicholas Langdon (2008-08-12 02:06:38)

..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6651
"He was just following orders" that in reality he didn't have to follow. The man deserved to be hanged for his role in establishing Nazi concentration camps and although he wasn't directly involved he was obviously responsible for millions of deaths.

Albert Speer, Himmler, Goering, Hess, the lot of them could all justify their actions by saying "we were just following orders"...thank fuck those sadistic fucks were all prosecuted.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5755|Roma
Those Israelis Mossads, they think they can do everything.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6651

lowing wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

I think that probably this man as well as many others under Hitler would have been executed if they did not do what they were told to do. So a defense of being forced to carry out these orders could be a fair defense.
Fair defense?

Total bullshit lowing.

He was not the only person to use that defense.

A soldier knows what is right or wrong. This man knew what was right or wrong. He did it anyway.

Evil prevails when good men do nothing.

Following orders is not an acceptable excuse in my mind, or any other sane persons.
Well, after reading the book that I mentioned the other day, there were plenty of Japanese soldiers that unlawfully executed POW's. It is a fact that they would have been killed for disobeying the order to do so. They really had no choice but to carry it out.

So yes it is a "fair defense". Meaning it should be a considersation as part of the facts of the case when passing judgement.

I do like your quote "Evil prevails when good men do nothing"

I would counter that notion, that Evil might prevail for the moment as good retreats to live to fight another day.
Chances are if the man was a colonel in the SS he would have gladly followed the orders he was given
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6502|so randum
Wheey i made a srs thread
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Its not so simple to disobey orders in the third reich - most probably he would have been shot.

But where do you draw the line?
IG Farben made the gas, the driver of the truck who delivered the cylinders?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.
If he had morals he could have done a shittier job at it. If Shindler didn't manufacture German weapons in his factory most likely he'd end up dead. However he told his workers to purposely create faults in the machinery.

If the guy made errors and did a poor job of the creating of concentration camps then he's got a leg to stand on in this trial.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6691|Tampa Bay Florida

Dilbert_X wrote:

Its not so simple to disobey orders in the third reich - most probably he would have been shot.
If most would have been shot, there would not have been a third reich.

The "I was just following orders" excuse just doesn't work.  Ever.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6502|so randum

Dilbert_X wrote:

But where do you draw the line?
IG Farben made the gas, the driver of the truck who delivered the cylinders?
Another good point, IG Farben (who manufactured Zyklone B for the Wehrmacht) received little punishment (from the west at least), and even ended up assisting the US in the development of chemical warfare agents.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

There's a reason that (at least in the US) military members are taught the difference between a legal and a non-legal order. Eichmann's orders were clearly illegal and the burden was on him not to follow them. As soon as he made the decision to follow an illegal order, his guilt was manifest.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6502|so randum

FEOS wrote:

There's a reason that (at least in the US) military members are taught the difference between a legal and a non-legal order. Eichmann's orders were clearly illegal and the burden was on him not to follow them. As soon as he made the decision to follow an illegal order, his guilt was manifest.
I think the crux of this is even if he had refused, it would have been done anyway.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York
What's that test they used in which people were told to shock/electrocute other people?
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

Poseidon wrote:

What's that test they used in which people were told to shock/electrocute other people?
This one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York

Spearhead wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

This one?

That'd be it.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

Poseidon wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

This one?

That'd be it.
This one is also interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6651

FEOS wrote:

I think we can safely say any legality can be discarded at this point in time. Hell...the Hitlerjugend were probably brainwashed into believing this king of behavior was legal.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England

FEOS wrote:

Actually I'm sure the orders were legal at the time in Nazi Germany/German occupied countries

Still isn't an excuse, if he really really didn't want to do it, he would have just not done it. It's as simple as that. The fact that he did it, and did it quite well shows that there was a part of him that either wanted to do it, or just didn't really care what he was doing.

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-08-12 09:13:44)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6502|so randum

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

...that there was a part of him that either wanted to do it, or just didn't really care what he was doing.
I've read the transcripts of his interrogation following arrest, and he seemed quite emotional about it, and stated (IIRC) that at first it just seemed to be like drawing up railway timetables, amounts of gas etc - He rarely saw it on a personal level.

Obviously he got more involved as the Nazis stepped up their efforts, and obviously you could question whether his emotions were true, or just an attempt to escape the noose.

Just thought I'd add that.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6651

FatherTed wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

...that there was a part of him that either wanted to do it, or just didn't really care what he was doing.
I've read the transcripts of his interrogation following arrest, and he seemed quite emotional about it,
Those guys were super manipulative..I highly doubt his emotions were genuine.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
He could've shot himself and died a painless death rather then help murderers.
Chrisimo
+3|5754

FEOS wrote:

Under which law were his orders illegal?
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK

Turquoise wrote:

After a war as horrid as WW2, I'd say executing Eichmann was a great way to make an example out of him.  Victors make the rules, and part of that involves eliminating the top tiers of your fallen enemy.

Eichmann's execution (among many others) was needed to avenge the horrors of the Holocaust.
The one person in the thread who seems to know something.

And seriously enough with the "evil" bullshit already people. There is no such thing as good or evil.
Chrisimo
+3|5754

Vilham wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

After a war as horrid as WW2, I'd say executing Eichmann was a great way to make an example out of him.  Victors make the rules, and part of that involves eliminating the top tiers of your fallen enemy.

Eichmann's execution (among many others) was needed to avenge the horrors of the Holocaust.

And seriously enough with the "evil" bullshit already people. There is no such thing as good or evil.
Yes, there is good and evil. Not on a global level but on a personal one. I bet that you classify things as good and bad as well. You just don't think that your view is shared by all.
oChaos.Haze
+90|6440
lmfao ted, splendid job playing Devil's Advocate.  Everytime convo turns down a notch, there's Ted to spice up the batch!

My favorite is when people quote you with angry remarks, without ever having a clue as to what you are doing.

Last edited by oChaos.Haze (2008-08-13 01:53:38)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK

Chrisimo wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Yes, there is good and evil. Not on a global level but on a personal one. I bet that you classify things as good and bad as well. You just don't think that your view is shared by all.
Sorry but if you think the world is that black and white, you have a lot to still realise or you live an incredibly carefree existence in which nothing ever is in that massive grey region that is called life.

Last edited by Vilham (2008-08-13 02:27:20)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard