blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6615
Could it really be that almost nine out of every 10 American adults will be overweight or obese — basically, more than 20 percent over their "ideal'' weight — in less than 25 years?

That's what a new study, based on national surveys, warns could happen if the weight-gain trends since the 1970s continue until 2030.

The research was carried out by scientists at Johns Hopkins University and the federal Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. The report was published online in the journal Obesity.

Currently, about two-thirds of American adults are considered either overweight or obese, as are about a third of school-age children.

The dire prediction is based on assumptions that people will continue behaving — and putting on the pounds — just as they have for the past 30 years. These behaviors include driving everywhere rather than walking, eating big mounds of unhealthful fast food, getting less and less exercise.

source
Commie Killer
+192|6357
90% is a overstatement, worst case is a slight rise, either way, its no ones fault but their own.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6423|The Twilight Zone
More burgers plox.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6813|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Being overweight is overrated, and completely biased to the person him/herself, some people are just meant to be bigger than others.

I'm 190cm tall and 98kg heavy, and I'm not particularly fat, yet that leaves me with a BMI of 27 which is overweight...
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6145|Sydney | ♥

90%?

That means 9/10 Superheroes will be fat!

https://blog.jungle8.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/powerspiderpreview11e2bre0.jpg
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6457|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
I think those studies are bs. I went to Mens Health and typed my info in.

I am 6'5" 240lbs

they said my ideal weight would be 170lbs.

Maybe if I were Ethiopian.
Commie Killer
+192|6357

SgtHeihn wrote:

I am 6'5" 240lbs

Yeah exactly, they do many studies on just the weight and height, completely ignoring that muscle weights more then fat.
Commie Killer
+192|6357

Sydney wrote:

Being overweight is overrated, and completely biased to the person him/herself, some people are just meant to be bigger than others.

I'm 190cm tall and 98kg heavy, and I'm not particularly fat, yet that leaves me with a BMI of 27 which is overweight...
Then instead of games you should exercise. 15 minutes a day is nothing, I spend 2 and a half hours. Not to mention you would actually get benefits besides the weight loss.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6423|The Twilight Zone

SgtHeihn wrote:

I am 6'5" 240lbs

That study is based on Versace's daughter

https://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/03_02/AllegraDonnaAP_468x452.jpg
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK
is that thing on the right a tranny?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

tazz. wrote:

90%?

http://blog.jungle8.com/wp-content/uplo … e2bre0.jpg
I was trying to think of something to say, but came up with this:

/failmath is /fail
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Commie Killer wrote:

SgtHeihn wrote:

I am 6'5" 240lbs

Yeah exactly, they do many studies on just the weight and height, completely ignoring that muscle weights more then fat.
What? That's ridiculous. Most calculators would throw an extra 10lbs onto that for someone who's 6'1"...

Commie Killer wrote:

Sydney wrote:

Then instead of games you should exercise. 15 minutes a day is nothing, I spend 2 and a half hours. Not to mention you would actually get benefits besides the weight loss.
My job is based on walking over the place and pushing heavy equipment up and down hills, but my weight still hangs a bit above recommended. Exercise is nothing without the right food, which I admittedly sometimes don't acquire.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-08-11 17:21:53)

Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6617

SgtHeihn wrote:

I am 6'5" 240lbs

Your BMI is 29 and you are classified as overweight. One more percent and you would be obese, fatass.

I'm 5'11" 255 and about 35-36 so don't feel bad.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America

SgtHeihn wrote:

I am 6'5" 240lbs

That's gotta be rubbish. For someone that tall, 170 is really pushing it. I'm around 5'11"-6'0" and still only 135, which calculators used to call underweight but I just checked again and they are saying "desirable". Bull... I should weigh at least 25 pounds more to be normal.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6313|tropical regions of london

SgtHeihn wrote:

I am 6'5" 240lbs

My ideal weight is supposed to be 170-175 according to the army, and Im 5'8.

Last edited by God Save the Queen (2008-08-11 19:56:12)

SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6457|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)

God Save the Queen wrote:

SgtHeihn wrote:

I am 6'5" 240lbs

My ideal weight is supposed to be 170-175 according to the army, and Im 5'8.
The Marines said mine was 213lbs, without a first class PFT, but with a 1st class I could weigh as much as I wanted.

When I got back from Iraq I was almost 280lbs. That went away once I stopped working out for 2-3hr a day 6 days a week.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina
Well, supposedly, 75% of Americans are overweight.  25% are supposedly obese.

However...  these are measurements based on the BMI scale.  This scale is problematic because it doesn't account very well for different body types.  For example, according to the BMI, my brother is overweight, but he's mostly muscle, which causes his weight to be higher than a normal person his height, and his bone structure is pretty heavy.  By contrast, my bone structure is much thinner than his, which is why, despite being 3 to 5 inches taller than him, I weigh about 50 lbs. less than him.

In short, if the BMI were more accurate in accounting for different bone structures, the % of overweight Americans would be likely more around 50%, and the obesity rate would probably be more like 15%.
thtthht
maximum bullshit
+50|6301|teh alien spaceshit
I am 153 pounds, and 5/11
My friend is 180 pounds and 6/3
Another one is 170 and 6/1
Ywah, we should stp basing out weights from anorexic people.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6615

tazz. wrote:

90%?

http://blog.jungle8.com/wp-content/uplo … e2bre0.jpg
rolf
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America

Turquoise wrote:

Well, supposedly, 75% of Americans are overweight.  25% are supposedly obese.

However...  these are measurements based on the BMI scale.  This scale is problematic because it doesn't account very well for different body types.  For example, according to the BMI, my brother is overweight, but he's mostly muscle, which causes his weight to be higher than a normal person his height, and his bone structure is pretty heavy.  By contrast, my bone structure is much thinner than his, which is why, despite being 3 to 5 inches taller than him, I weigh about 50 lbs. less than him.

In short, if the BMI were more accurate in accounting for different bone structures, the % of overweight Americans would be likely more around 50%, and the obesity rate would probably be more like 15%.
If they really wanted to be precise, they ought to just go by body fat percentage. Besides the pinch test, there is a handheld device that measures the resistance of current due to the fat a person has and expresses it as a percent. That would be much more reliable for statistics, but using accurate facts would just be downright.....appropriate.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina
Agreed, Fox.  Those electrical resistance devices are pretty neat.
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon
The BMI is bullshit.

I had a health teacher that listed some of the people who would be considered overweight and obese.  Brad Pitt was overweight, Russell Crowe was obese, and Madonna was overweight.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
BMI is indeed inaccurate.
I thought 90% of Americans were already obese.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
BMI doesn't take into account the fact that Muscle weighs more than fat.

2 years ago (hell, even one year ago) I was around 5'9 and 150lbs, now I'm 5'10 and 160lbs last time I checked.

Try this

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/base/bodyfat

According to that I have a body fat percentage of 18.38, although even that isn't that accurate. They're just rough numbers.

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-08-12 06:29:59)

jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
Get some fucking proper bullying in there what's wrong with you.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard